HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2010, 05:17 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Lurking Melbourne Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
I ended up drilling out one of the little graupner folders http://www.hobby-lobby.com/4.7x2.4_c...rd1.htm,fitted a 2sp 500 ,
emetered @7volts @4amps @13020 rpm.
weather permitting PP in the morning
Great stuff I hope the weather Gods are going to play ball
junglegym is offline Find More Posts by junglegym
Last edited by junglegym; May 30, 2010 at 09:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2010, 05:19 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Joined Apr 2008
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk21 View Post
Heres my attempt at the Hobby King Mini Swift Glider:
I hope you like!

I am using everything stock except for the Castle Creations 4 channel micro receiver I installed. As well I am also for now will be using E-flite 2S 800MAH Blade CX Lipos. Using cheapo FM Futaba 4 channel transmitter.

Have not maiden yet will do that when its not of course raining any more here in Washington the Pacific NorthWest.

I used water based cheapo acrylic lime green paint and only put the two stickers in the picture. It will be heavier than suppose to be but that just makes it that more fun to fly in wind! Maybe one of these days with the spare plane we can figure out what better and lighter motor to use and how to better install the ailerons with a better servo!

Thanks for the support here in the thread...
I do like Nice job ,looks very cool
The chopper battery should be perfect .
Old May 28, 2010, 08:05 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,602 Posts
Mine Arrived yesterday and it looks like a great plane. ...... but I noticed that the wing is a tight fit and it's hard to fish the Aileron servo lead through to the rx. Do you just jam it through? Also what is the suggested glue??
Thanks
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old May 28, 2010, 08:36 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Joined Apr 2008
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
Mine Arrived yesterday and it looks like a great plane. ...... but I noticed that the wing is a tight fit and it's hard to fish the Aileron servo lead through to the rx. Do you just jam it through? Also what is the suggested glue??
Thanks
Yes the servo lead needs to be poked through , don't insert the wing right up to the center, stop short before you poke the lead through this will give a little more of a gap, I widened the hole into the cockpit a little and was expecting it to be a character building excercise but it wasn't to bad , poked it through with a satay stick .Once you get the plug through into the cockpit gentle pull the lead through as you slide and center the wing this does require a moderate force .
May be an idea to check your aileron servo is centered before final insertion as I had to re center the servo which was out, as sent by the factory.
Didn't need/use any glue on mine at all .The tail has double sided tape on it and the wing is a tight jam fit.
Maybe you're building yours from parts ?
If you need to use glue, it's EPP so Zap(medium CA), Gorilla or white carpenters glue .
Test first with the CA especially if you use kicker,CA is fine for genuine EPP but sometimes manufacturers claim a model is Epp but they turn out to be some other combination of foam which may get attacked/melted by CA. Avoid using CA on foam/areas you intend to sand.

Last edited by junglegym; May 28, 2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 09:41 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglegym View Post
Didn't need/use any glue on mine at all .The tail has double sided tape on it and the wing is a tight jam fit.
Thanks junglegym, I was thinking of not glueing t he wing as it seemed like a tight fit and that way it would have a little give if (actually when ) I crash. The tail I am not sure the double sided tape will be enough but will give it a go.
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old May 28, 2010, 09:57 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Joined Apr 2008
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
Thanks junglegym, I was thinking of not glueing t he wing as it seemed like a tight fit and that way it would have a little give if (actually when ) I crash. The tail I am not sure the double sided tape will be enough but will give it a go.
The wing is tight enough but allows some give if you have a cart wheel on landing etc this may save a repair job
The DS tape on the tail is holding up nicely.I've found ,from past experience ,the adhesive on these tapes reacts with the foam over time and ends up as good as glue anyway.
"if (actually when ) I crash.' LOL The beauty of this little glider is that it's going to take a fair hammering, being light and EPP unless you're crashing onto roads or sidewalks /hard stuff it's going to be hard to do any major damage .

Last edited by junglegym; May 28, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:09 AM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
is it possible to remove the main wing for transport?
vinnygogo is offline Find More Posts by vinnygogo
Old May 28, 2010, 10:45 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Joined Apr 2008
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygogo View Post
is it possible to remove the main wing for transport?
Yes, but as already stated, fitting the wing and poking the lead through to the cockpit is a tight fit, a bit awkward , so you may want to ditch out some foam on the wing saddle and make a channel for the aileron plug and lead . May be less tedious if you plan to remove/install the wing regularly .

Last edited by junglegym; May 28, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:35 PM
Joined May 2010
255 Posts
ok, thanks! i am planning to buy it begin june, esspecially to take it with me on holiday but to take it in a car with all that luggage as small as possible is easyest thanks !!
vinnygogo is offline Find More Posts by vinnygogo
Old May 28, 2010, 04:01 PM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Apr 2006
127 Posts
With my Mini Swift I had to glue in the tail with some quick cement glue for foam! With just the tape to mount it, you could push on it and it would move and you want the tail to be lined up and firm. Also with the wing since the glider is actually pretty small, I cut some small tri-angle recesses in the foam so that the aileron hinges would fit and go through the fuse so the wing could be installed, then I lined everything up and also tacked the wing in with the quick cement.

The plane in whole and with paint, without the battery weighs exactly 105 grams. With my E-flite 2S 800MAH lipo overall weight is 150 grams on par with others in the thread.

Still waiting for that nice weather to fly it!

One other tip is when you first get the plane out of the box, unhook all control surfaces from rods, and work the foam moving the control surfaces back and forth alot! You dont want the stiff foam destroying the small servos! They cannot handle it, the foam needs to be loosened up!

Thanks all!
elite311 is offline Find More Posts by elite311
Old May 28, 2010, 10:56 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,468 Posts
I just ordered mine ! I can't wait ... it looks like a cool little plane. I say we turn it into a hotliner.
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old May 28, 2010, 11:23 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,468 Posts
Maidened mine this morning I notice a bit of difference between power on and of in relation to trim , not as fast as the origonal version that Jungle Jim has, probably because of the none standard prop although i do like this prop as it folds flush with the fuz, thinking i might use 3sp on the next outing
I wont mind a few grams of lead in the tail end it could do with a bit more wing loading .
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old May 29, 2010, 09:29 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Joined Apr 2008
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Maidened mine this morning I notice a bit of difference between power on and of in relation to trim , not as fast as the origonal version that Jungle Jim has, probably because of the none standard prop although i do like this prop as it folds flush with the fuz, thinking i might use 3sp on the next outing
I wont mind a few grams of lead in the tail end it could do with a bit more wing loading .
3s should be better or run a bigger prop .
Had a quick fly of mine today noticed some weird behavior Checking it on the ground found the elevator servo was sticking full up every now and then so I did a bit of surgery tonight and replaced the servo I think it had a tooth or two missing, it felt funny even when I first got the plane .

Old May 29, 2010, 09:33 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Joined Apr 2008
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55 View Post
I just ordered mine ! I can't wait ... it looks like a cool little plane. I say we turn it into a hotliner.
Yep that's the plan when the next one arrives upgrade motor, ESC,and prop on 3s, strengthen wing, vertical stab and it should be a semi pylon racer
Old May 31, 2010, 12:43 AM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Apr 2006
127 Posts
Warning: After I glued my main wing in the mini swift and even with bad weather took it out for its maiden today, the airlerons after first flight went screwy!

What I mean is they were lined up, servo trimmed and looking good, after flying it and trying some wild maneuvers its like the foam moved, without the servo moving and bent the crappy wire used to move airlerons back and forth.

So now I have choppy movement of airlerons and they are out of wack when servo centered and trim correcting it, one is way down and the other one is level. Since I glued in wing I dont have any idea on how to fix it without of course cutting wing out and messing up fuse! I can still fly the plane although the whole time im fighting for control to level the wings.

Also noticed the balance spot is about dead on at 5/8 of an inch or a little less than that from leading edge of wing. First i had receiver under wing with wires and RCVR ANT with battery flat level between nose and main wing. this made it a little tail heavy.
So I moved batt as far forward as can go flat, RECVR and servo wires more forward with BATT wires and balance charge wires and got the plane perfectly balances or maybe a tad nose heavy.

Also noticed a defect when i landed it hard straight into my sons leg. The prop got pushed all the way onto axle of motor so i had to unscrew nose cone, then take out allen screw holding prop onto motor axle. Well the allen screw was stripped to far into the prop holding it onto motor.

Anyhow before the airlerons went nutz, the plane flew perfectly straight and balanced well. I think it was on the heavy side due to such a large lipo in it but other than that flew great and gets high quickly using half throttle and thermals and a bit of wind!

My esc did get hot but I before flying made the nose cooling holes alot bigger like two or three times the stock size and made sure the lipo and ESC and rest of hardware was not blocking the holes. Also I spreaded out the motor wires as much as possible and kept room between them and everything else.

I just need to figure out this crappy airleron setup and how I can repair it then I will be home free with my Mini Swift!
elite311 is offline Find More Posts by elite311