SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:00 PM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,144 Posts
Check out post #740.
There is a range of small HK motors referred to there, including pictures.
The like for like replacement in terms of weight and power would be the 1811-2000. For more oomph get the http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8478 Hextronic 20g 2300Kv motor (goes really well and appears to be quite efficient giving long flight times) or the AX1806
Fred_L is offline Find More Posts by Fred_L
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:26 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,063 Posts
Anyone thinking of getting this airplane:

I do not think the attached video is a good demonstration of my knowledge, flying skills, camera work, or any thing of that nature. I am a pretty much total noob.

But, I do think it perfectly captures the joy and sheer terror that can occur within seconds of each other in flying this craft! As far as I know, my plane is not atypical -- it is as well trimmed and balanced (with the exception of a bit nose heavy due to 600 mah battery) as I think most are, and it is not 'malfunctioning' per se, but it does have some unforgiving characteristics that I myself have not quite mastered yet. But it also can be a ball of fun to fly!

So, sit back, let this load up in Hi-Def mode, then select full screen, and see what a typical flight of the Mini-Swift might look like for you. Speed and altitude are your friends, and this little plane can generate both (and eat them up!) in a hurry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O43G529TdwI
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:17 AM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
746 Posts
Nice video Tracknoob, enjoyed it!

I won't call somebody that flies a overweight little plane, constantly trying all kinds of maneuvers and talking relaxed meanwhile, a total noob. That having said, there are things that make this plane more forgiving. A 600mAh lipo is heavy. You could, like you suggested somewhere halfway the video, try a lighter lipo. This plane also flies great with a 350mAh sticked into the nose as far as it goes. Glides better @idle and flies much slower before tip-stalling. I just measured the weights; my mini Swift rtf but without battery weighs 100g and the 350mAh lipo weighs 20g. So you could get something like 10 - 15% weight reduction, depending on your receiver and 600mAh lipo weights.

A bit nose heavy should be ok. But overweight forces you to keep up the speed. But nice flying anyway! Awesome stuff.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:20 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
Nice video Tracknoob, enjoyed it!

I won't call somebody that flies a overweight little plane, constantly trying all kinds of maneuvers and talking relaxed meanwhile, a total noob. That having said, there are things that make this plane more forgiving. A 600mAh lipo is heavy. You could, like you suggested somewhere halfway the video, try a lighter lipo. This plane also flies great with a 350mAh sticked into the nose as far as it goes. Glides better @idle and flies much slower before tip-stalling. I just measured the weights; my mini Swift rtf but without battery weighs 100g and the 350mAh lipo weighs 20g. So you could get something like 10 - 15% weight reduction, depending on your receiver and 600mAh lipo weights.

A bit nose heavy should be ok. But overweight forces you to keep up the speed. But nice flying anyway! Awesome stuff.

Martin
Thanks for the ideas on the lighter battery -- I really do need to try that next time out!

One of the things I liked about the 2S Mini-Swift was the ability to use some old batteries I had lying around (the 600's) but I also have some Beast 2S 120 mahs around, and before I commit to buying new 350's, I'll bet I could rig a quickie light interconnect to run the ones I have in parallel to give me 240 mah but with LOTS of "C" rating, and save a lot of weight. Plus would be totally flexible to arrange for different CGs to experiment with... since I'm kind of afraid to fly the Beast right now, that's a good way to put those cells to use for now. Just threw a Beast battery on the scale and it's 9.2 grams with connector and wiring, so we are probably talking a bit less than the 20 grams I would pay for the 'proper' 350 mah size. I think even dragging the heavy 600 battery around, at 3/4 and full throttle, and all that goofing around, my Mini-Swift still only consumes 35 mah/min, so with a lighter battery, more conservative throttle settings, and some gliding... ought to be interesting what I could see this thing doing -- both for better gliding/stall characteristics, but also flight length.

Even if it was no more efficient at all, that's like a five and a half minute flight til 80% pack power is used, so I could live with that to see what she will do.

EDIT TO ADD: Oh, and that's the original much-crashed Mini with epoxy pasted everywhere, and crunched nose. Hmmm... if I build out the crash kit (now that I got my replacement folding props and motors from HK!), it might be interesting to compare AUW for the crashed-and-repaired 600mah version, with decals, etc. versus the crash kitted unblemished and unadorned, with the lighter pack...

PSS -- also, just to note that after my flights the battery pack and the motor are almost ambient temperature by touch... not even what you would call 'warm'. So I feel fortunate that apparently the combo of power usage and ventilation on mine (hole in canopy) is doing fine, unlike some of the other Mini owners.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Oct 23, 2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:14 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Martin, you say your 2S 350 mAh Lipo weighs 20 grams? What brand is that? All the ones I have seen have been much heavier. 20 grams is more what I see in a 180 mAh. Thanks! - Mark
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:37 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
746 Posts
They're Zippy's from HobbyKing:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9028

Ok, 21g as advertised, 20.6g measured by myself.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:01 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
I have written a cost and weight breakdown of the HypeRC Swift glider version that I purchased and converted last summer. It's in the Foamies (Kits) forum.

Mine flies great! Period. No problems. The question is whether it flies better than HobbyKing's ARF. (I think it does, but I really need the HK version for comparison.)
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:28 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2011
62 Posts
Don't know if this has been suggested before, but I'll mention it anyway. Have just done a speedie and motor upgrade on my Swift. As per previous posts, cut the nose back to the original firewall and epoxied a new ply firewall directly to the old one to mount the slightly larger motor to. I didn't really like how the new motor was exposed the way it was, and it was a PITA to hollow out the piece I cut off, so I started looking for something as a replacement. Found one of those small disposable plastic medicine cups in the cupboard. Just cut the small lip off the top and cut most of the base out and it slides over the nose perfectly. Paint it white and you're done.
popeye96 is offline Find More Posts by popeye96
Last edited by popeye96; Oct 29, 2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:28 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
They're Zippy's from HobbyKing:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9028

Ok, 21g as advertised, 20.6g measured by myself.

Martin
I've found the Rhino 360 20Cs' to be the optimal battery to keep the ship light, and still provide plenty of power for mixed flying... 7 minutes runtime, no LVC. Advertised weight, 22.5g. Pictured battery placement provides perfect CG. Rx is back under the wing.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7301

Bud, informative Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:34 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Thanks Martin and Bud. I'll be trying those out in my new Slik 360 when it gets here.
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:47 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post
Thanks Martin and Bud. I'll be trying those out in my new Slik 360 when it gets here.
I think they'll be too heavy for the Slick, TBH. But I'll be right there with ya trying them out too.

I just got a couple of the Zippy 180's from the US warehouse...ok looking little battery, came right at storage voltage and charged right up good to 8.4/4.2 per cell.

Still wish HK would come up w/ a form-factored Nano or Rhino 180 for the Slick though...
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:44 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2011
62 Posts
I stripped the elevator servo in my swift. Is there an easy way to change it out, or do I just take to the fuse with a hobby knife and glue it all back together?
popeye96 is offline Find More Posts by popeye96
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:51 AM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye96 View Post
I stripped the elevator servo in my swift. Is there an easy way to change it out, or do I just take to the fuse with a hobby knife and glue it all back together?
Foam surgery needed. Other guys have had to do it, way back when. They just cut a servo shaped square of foam out over the bad servo. I personally would use UHU Por or Beacon glue, over CA.

G'luck!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:24 PM
MN
Joined Jun 2006
395 Posts
How nose heavy are you guys flying the swift? I have found that I am shoving my battery all the way towards the back under the wing, to get remotely close on my CG. From what I have observed from these forums on the swift many are placing the battery behind the motor. I tried that and it was just to nose heavy for me. Please tell me how are you able to place the battery so far up front and still be able to fly?
geekmedic is offline Find More Posts by geekmedic
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:17 PM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
How nose heavy are you guys flying the swift? I have found that I am shoving my battery all the way towards the back under the wing, to get remotely close on my CG. From what I have observed from these forums on the swift many are placing the battery behind the motor. I tried that and it was just to nose heavy for me. Please tell me how are you able to place the battery so far up front and still be able to fly?
I have the slightly heavier upgraded 1806 motor with prop saver and fly mine with a 2s 500mAH and have it back under the wing.
The CG is perfect in that spot

I was away down the coast on the weekend and threw the Swift in the back of the car to fly the cliffs. It is amazing how well this bird handles the wind. 12-15mph.....it was rocking!
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496