SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:16 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Yes yes... with only 10mw of power for my video transmitter a decent ground station is needed (thats my excuse anyway)

Trying to get back to that spot today to make another video but its looking windy and stormy... mmm better hurry
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:49 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Cool vid. Must be hard keeping track of where you are headed at night.

Been thinking about my repair. Trying to put it back together means the motor is angled off. Thinking about trimming it back to the line where the motor mount was originally (after gluing the pieces all back together of course) and then gluing on a ply plate or something and mounting motor to that. Maybe run a cowl over motor if I desire

Does that sound reasonable to you guys? What sort of offset should I run on the motor?
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:46 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu956 View Post
Cool vid. Must be hard keeping track of where you are headed at night.

Been thinking about my repair. Trying to put it back together means the motor is angled off. Thinking about trimming it back to the line where the motor mount was originally (after gluing the pieces all back together of course) and then gluing on a ply plate or something and mounting motor to that. Maybe run a cowl over motor if I desire

Does that sound reasonable to you guys? What sort of offset should I run on the motor?

Thx was a little hairy...

Id try and cut the fuse in 1/2 where it joins to start with, unscrew the motor or maybe just glue it all back into place?
Hopefully its not too bad
Old Jun 27, 2010, 01:24 PM
Joined May 2010
29 Posts
i tried the stock motor and ESC with a 3S 350mah batt...

the swift just flies really great with it ... measured the power drain before ... about 6A ... so would be ok with the ESC .... after 3 min run the ESC was at 80 degree celcius and motor over 50 ... so i can NOT recommend it

however here is the video of it

better open in new window and watch HD and larger to see this little swift

Mini-Swift powered by 3S ! Extreme Mini Hotliner ;)) (2 min 59 sec)
shorty707 is offline Find More Posts by shorty707
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:24 PM
If I duck, you RUN
Australia, WA, Kallaroo
Joined Jan 2010
1,455 Posts
One of the Club members who has a bit of experience with swifts helped me with a few things.

1) Mount the battery and rx as far back as possible we used a AR6100/AR6110 and with a bit persuasion you can push the right under the wings just watch the 2 x antennas and servo wires be patient (certainly helped with rolls and loops)

2) Cut out one of the intake holes a bit larger so you can see the motor as they tend to get very hot, to the point of burning it out

3)Find an plastic blister pack that is similar to an Araldite package and cut off the bit at the top where the bottle lid would sit and trim to form an intake cowling Confused?

4) trim a 2mm x 10mm section out on the fuse where it meets the canopy, this is to allow the hot air to escape, I've cut the sections on an angle so the air gets dragged out

I've copied this from a post I did with pictures Hobbyking forums HERE > http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...?TID=9047&PN=2.

Hope this helps you stay in the air longer.

Craig
Kaffine is online now Find More Posts by Kaffine
Last edited by Kaffine; Jun 27, 2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 05:35 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
Hey guys, fit out my MiniSwift with some FPV gear and threw it up tonight, nothing too exciting in the video, ill fly at the same spot again soon
Wow! That was freaky but cool! What gear are you using?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:05 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Wow! That was freaky but cool! What gear are you using?
Hey
ImmersionRC 10mw video transmitter (which come with the goggles) and a little tiny 5v camera, all running off the 1 500mA 2cell.
Its been sitting on my desk staring at me all day to go fly it

Ground just has an oracle with 2 rx's 1 with a patch and the other an omni, looking for some micro night cameras but they're all too expensive
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:16 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Lurking Melbourne Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty707 View Post
i tried the stock motor and ESC with a 3S 350mah batt...
Got a 3s Swift ready also,attempted maiden last weekend but had issues with the elevator linkage then horn was moving in the foam so couldn't get a decent fly and true indication of performance .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=204373

junglegym is online now Find More Posts by junglegym
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:39 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Lurking Melbourne Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffine View Post
2) Cut out one of the intake holes a bit larger so you can see the motor as they tend to get very hot, to the point of burning it out

Craig
Some good advice there
The standard set up runs very hot as previously mentioned another easy mod to help with this is to carefully drop(3 drops) some CA in behind the motor mounting plate working from inside the canopy this helps hold the motor /mount in place stopping it from rotating when the factory hot glue softens, obviously avoid excess and keep the CA away from the motor wires . I also cut some (2) vents in the spinner this allows direct (Ram) airflow into the motor and is easy to do with a drill/file or mototool .

junglegym is online now Find More Posts by junglegym
Last edited by junglegym; Jun 28, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:14 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,753 Posts
Just came back from my maiden flight of the mini swift and i couldn't get the smile of my face when i was flying it all stock (not that i wanted to) but with the old 35mhz radio i had set up with it i need to have way more throw on ailerons,thats all sorted now so i'll be going back out in a bit oh and i forgot to say i was flying it in 10mph winds which made for a fun maiden two really good flights but the third i was pushing her just to much and she came down but only damage if you can call it that was from the prop had pushed tight up against the fuse but got that all sorted now too.
Now going to do some of the mods to help with cooling as i did notice my ESC did seem a tad to warm to me so i'm just about to do that so thanks for all the great tips boys
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:52 PM
Joined Sep 2007
4 Posts
Finally someone tries a different motor with 3s, I have been considering the same set up. Please let us know how it goes
donthave4089 is offline Find More Posts by donthave4089
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:32 PM
Crashing on a budget.
Canberra, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
155 Posts
I now have my mini-swift flying with the HobbyKing 10g motor. Using 3S 610mAh Rhino batteries and the stock ESC.

I'm very happy with the performance. It works out about 20g heavier than stock, but the extra thrust more than compensates for it. ( We measured the thrust to be about 230g, as compared to stock of about 150g).

The 10g motor does get hot, but so did the stock motor. I had to increase the airflow to keep the temperatures manageable.

The battery sits in the slot under the wing, which gets the CG spot on. Some foam had to be removed to get the battery to fit, but it wasn't too hard.

Initially, the motor stuck out a bit too far so I had to move the firewall back about 5mm. It was an easy job and meant that I was able to get rid of the original hot glue and attach the firewall properly with some epoxy. It also made attaching the motor to the firewall a piece of cake.
dusk is offline Find More Posts by dusk
Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:59 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Thanks Chances.

I hope to turn mine into a bullet. Just waiting for the required motor to come back into stock at the moment.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:37 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
My miniswift will have an eflight park250 on 3cell with a 4530 prop - 7A at full throttle, vertical + more

Highly recommended setup!
Old Jun 29, 2010, 02:43 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Mine will run on 4S....