HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by BigGuyJT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 10:30 AM
War Plan Orange now in effect!
Philippines, NCR, Taguig City
Joined Dec 2008
80 Posts
Flaps?

JT:

In your takeoff vid, it looks like you didn't use flaps. It obviously took off on a pretty short roll, but are you using flaps on the landings?

Richard
iraqi_cowboy is offline Find More Posts by iraqi_cowboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2010, 11:04 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqi_cowboy View Post
JT:

In your takeoff vid, it looks like you didn't use flaps. It obviously took off on a pretty short roll, but are you using flaps on the landings?

Richard
I really haven't used flaps yet. I've made a few down and dirty passes but nothing on t/o or landing.

On a side note, I got her all ready to go flying today and it started raining. Bummer!!!
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Oct 05, 2010, 03:08 AM
Joined Dec 2008
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT View Post
I really haven't used flaps yet. I've made a few down and dirty passes but nothing on t/o or landing.

On a side note, I got her all ready to go flying today and it started raining. Bummer!!!

Yeah, it's a drag when you've only got limited windows of opportunity and the weather won't cooperate; been there many times (and damaged/destroyed a few planes by trying to fight less than optimal conditions). My home in the US is in New Mexico and in the springtime, you either fly at the crack of dawn or not at all because you can pretty well count on the wind blowing by about 8:00 am.

Making good progress on my Mitchell. Hope to maiden it sometime in November...
Old Oct 05, 2010, 04:39 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, it's a drag when you've only got limited windows of opportunity and the weather won't cooperate; been there many times (and damaged/destroyed a few planes by trying to fight less than optimal conditions). My home in the US is in New Mexico and in the springtime, you either fly at the crack of dawn or not at all because you can pretty well count on the wind blowing by about 8:00 am.

Making good progress on my Mitchell. Hope to maiden it sometime in November...
Yeah there might be a break in the weather towards the end of the week hopefully. I'm glad your build is going well, feel free to post pics if you like.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:37 AM
Joined Dec 2008
80 Posts
Thanks, JT, I will post a pic or two when it's finished. Here's a question for you - I have an AR8000 receiver that I am installing. The ESC throttle leads are joined by a Y connector, which is plugged into the throttle socket on the receiver. I also have a NiCd receiver battery, which is plugged into the BIND/DAT socket. When the receiver battery is disconnected, the receiver and servos continue to be powered by the flight batteries. Given those circumstances, how can I be sure that the NiCd receiver battery is powering the system when all batteries are connected? Any suggestions for the optimal setup are appreciated.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 03:44 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, JT, I will post a pic or two when it's finished. Here's a question for you - I have an AR8000 receiver that I am installing. The ESC throttle leads are joined by a Y connector, which is plugged into the throttle socket on the receiver. I also have a NiCd receiver battery, which is plugged into the BIND/DAT socket. When the receiver battery is disconnected, the receiver and servos continue to be powered by the flight batteries. Given those circumstances, how can I be sure that the NiCd receiver battery is powering the system when all batteries are connected? Any suggestions for the optimal setup are appreciated.
It sounds like your bec's from your esc's are powering your rx. Did you remove the red wire one your "y" harness where it plugs into your rx?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2008
80 Posts
t
Quote:
It sounds like your bec's from your esc's are powering your rx. Did you remove the red wire one your "y" harness where it plugs into your rx?
No, I'm not familiar with that technique. I've rigged receiver packs in nitro powered planes before, but all my electrics got their receiver power from the flight batteries, so this is a new one on me.

Can you explain exactly how this needs to be set up?

Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:13 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
Quote:
t

No, I'm not familiar with that technique. I've rigged receiver packs in nitro powered planes before, but all my electrics got their receiver power from the flight batteries, so this is a new one on me.

Can you explain exactly how this needs to be set up?

Thanks!
In many cases (not all) using two esc's or more the built in bec's well cause problems if they are both connected. In smaller planes that use less servos say like 3-4 if you disable one bec the other one is sufficient enough to drive those servos. To disable it you can pull the red wire out of the plug that goes into the rx. If you just pull it out then you can plug it back in if you need to at any time.

In the case of this B-25 we are driving 11-12 servos. The bec isn't capable of handling that load so we use a receiver pack. What you do is just plug the servo plugs from your esc's I to your "y" harness like normal then where the "y" harness plugs into you rx you would unplug the red wire. Both bec's will be disabled and you rx pack will take on the task of powering all your servos.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:15 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
BTW, I'm usually typing from my iPhone so please excuse any typographical errors!!!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:52 PM
Joined Dec 2008
80 Posts
Quote:
In the case of this B-25 we are driving 11-12 servos. The bec isn't capable of handling that load so we use a receiver pack. What you do is just plug the servo plugs from your esc's I to your "y" harness like normal then where the "y" harness plugs into you rx you would unplug the red wire. Both bec's will be disabled and you rx pack will take on the task of powering all your servos.
Awesome, thanks for educating me, JT. I will set up as you recommend. No problem on the typos - a few slip by me, too. It's the info that's important!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:58 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for educating me, JT. I will set up as you recommend. No problem on the typos - a few slip by me, too. It's the info that's important!
I'm glad I can help.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:56 PM
Joined Dec 2008
80 Posts
Quote:
I'm glad I can help.
I must be missing something here - how exactly do you unplug that red wire? Looks to me like the only way it's getting unplugged will be to destroy the connector itself. Are we pulling the red wire out of the male connector on the Y or does it come out of the female connector on the extension it plugs into?

Thanks
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:59 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
Quote:
I must be missing something here - how exactly do you unplug that red wire? Looks to me like the only way it's getting unplugged will be to destroy the connector itself. Are we pulling the red wire out of the male connector on the Y or does it come out of the female connector on the extension it plugs into?

Thanks
On the female part that goes into the receiver. If you look closely there are 3 little tabs. Take an exacto blade and gently pull back the one that the red wire goes into and the pull out the red wire. The metal female part of the connecter should pull right out of the black plug. Or if you like you can just cut the red wire.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 04:40 PM
Joined Dec 2008
80 Posts
Thanks, buddy. I'll give it a try...
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:12 PM
Joined Dec 2008
80 Posts
JT: I finally got this beast built, check the pics below. Just need set the control surface throws, verify the CG, and do some ground testing to get the steering aligned. Planning to maiden her on Nov 28.

The AUW on this thing is 18.8 lbs. Is that in the same ballpark as yours? Seems kind of heavy, considering that Hangar 9 says flying weight should be 13.5 - 15.5 lbs. I know the 5S batteries are heavier than what they recommend, but everything else is pretty much consistent with the H9 instructions.

Will let you know how the maiden goes and I can't thank you enough for all the help you've given me!