HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2010, 07:15 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
619 Posts
Discussion
Best Multi Lipo Charger?

What is the best multi lipo charger to charge several batteries at once...

I have looked at the 4-port Horizon Celectra charger, and I like the idea of charging four batteries at once. But, I would prefer something that's a little more sophisticated than the Celectra, something that will measure and display the actual voltage in the batteries, etc..

Currently, I'm using the following battery types in the following models, and I would like to find something that will charge at least four or five of the same batteries at a time.

Parkzone P51 micro uses a 3.7V 120mAh battery, but I may want something with a higher mAh rating in the future,150mAh, 160mAh, and up if available...

Parkzone T-28, currently using a 11.1V 2200 mAh 3-cell Li-Po now.

Walkera 4#6 Heli uses 3.7V 500 mAh and 600 mAh batteries. And there are other higher mAh batteries available that I will purchase in the future.

I need a starting point to begin comparing them. I would like to find something that does a lot for as little money as possible
QuizCat is offline Find More Posts by QuizCat
Last edited by QuizCat; May 16, 2010 at 09:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2010, 10:18 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,916 Posts
I like the Quattro 4X from HobbyKing.
Does A123
lipo
liion
Pb
NiMH/Cd
Charge/discharge/storage/balance
displays each cell for all 4 charge circuits at the same time.
4A max charge rate for 3s pack.
1A max discharge rate

There is a whole thread on it.
$99 to members
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Multi_Charger_
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old May 17, 2010, 06:59 AM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
ANY charger can charge multiple packs with the correct power harnesses and balance tap adapters. Julez has a great thread here on parallel charging http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319

Here is David doing multiple packs
Parallel Charging 6 LiPo Batteries Using iCharger 206B (2 min 2 sec)

Myself and others here can make you the necessary adapters if you can not do them yourself.
Many adapters are also commercially available.

Bob
http://rcsales.shutterfly.com
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old May 17, 2010, 01:35 PM
Joined May 2010
59 Posts
I don't know if it's the best, but there is a new 5 port charger from Turnigy: Turnigy X5 3S 5 port Lithium polymer Battery Charger

It charges through the balance plugs, in steps of 1, 2 or 3A.

plane-addict is offline Find More Posts by plane-addict
Old May 17, 2010, 01:47 PM
Why's the rum always gone?
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Apr 2004
342 Posts
I suggest the Junsi iCharger 1010B+ to anyone who asks. I have the original model and love it.
longhair is offline Find More Posts by longhair
Old May 17, 2010, 07:57 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
619 Posts
Thanks for all your recommendations...

A number of the high end chargers seem to come with adapter boards and/or charging harnesses that accommodate many different lipos, and I now realize I can purchase harnesses that will permit me to charge multiple batteries at one time. But, I've noticed that many don't seem to include boards, harnesses, or plugs that accommodate the smaller sized 3.7 Volt Eflight and Parkzone batteries, such as the ones depicted below. I assume the smaller size plug can be adapted to plug into a single cell port on the charger, or that the plug can be adapted and "single cell" designation can be selected electronically. But, unless I used a harness that's set up to charge multiple small 3.7V batteries, I assume it would only charge them one at a time per port on the charger.

Name: 41DWYK~1-Optimized.jpg
Views: 160
Size: 9.1 KB
Description:

Does anyone know if most high end chargers will automatically balance and charge the batteries when they're plugged into a board like the one depicted above?

And, if so, and assuming I wanted to charge (2) boards at one time, do I connect them in parallel to the charger, and just adapt the plugs to fit the charger, or plug them into an adapted multi-harness?

I am not sure if the board depicted above is configured in parallel or series. I assume the board circuitry would have to be in parallel to charge properly were it plugged into the charger.
QuizCat is offline Find More Posts by QuizCat
Last edited by QuizCat; May 18, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old May 18, 2010, 11:38 AM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
The unit you pictured IS charging multiple single cell batteries in Parallel.
In parallel we add the mAhs to set the amperage charge rate.

IF you wanted two adapter boards you could choose to keep them in parallel or you could choose to wire them in series ..... but parallel would be much easier.

They are single cells so balancing is not necessary ..... and a good read of the parallel charging thread I previously gave you the link to would explain just how parallel charging works.

Example:
4 each 1S 160 mAh batteries = 640 mAhs = .64 amp charge rate at 1S (4.2v)
2 boards in parallel = 1280 mAhs = 1.28 amp charge rate at 1S

Bob
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old May 30, 2010, 08:56 PM
Joined May 2010
11 Posts
HobbyKing ECO6 50W 5A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dproduct=11060

maybe, u can try this one.
same as the Accucel-6, and cheap charger!

Capable of charging any size Lipoly battery up to 6 cells or at 5A.
The ECO-SIX includes an array of charging plugs and wires to suit almost any application and comes with JST-XH balancing plugs so you can charge and balance your ZIPPY/TURNIGY packs easily.
Input power is 11-18v, perfect for car batteries or pc/laptop powersupply.

Features;
Microprocessor controlled
Delta-peak sensitivity (NiMH/NiCd)
Individual cell balancing
Li-ion, LiPo and LiFe capable
Ni-Cd and NiMH capable
Large range of charge currents
Store function, allows safe storage current
Time limit function
Input voltage monitoring. (Protects car batteries at the field)
Data storage (Store up to 5 packs in memory)
Battery break in and cycling.

Spec.
Input Voltage: 11~18v
Circuit power: Max Charge: 50W / Max Discharge: 5W
Charge Current Range: .1~5.0A
Ni-MH/NiCd cells: 1~15
Li-ion/Poly cells: 1~6
Pb battery voltage: 2~20v
Weight: 170g
Dimensions: 138x75x23mm
ryancc is offline Find More Posts by ryancc
Old May 30, 2010, 10:50 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
QuizCat - based on your stated requirements and preference for a budget solution, the Quattro charger linked to in post #2 of this thread is the best fit. The on linked to in post #4 does not meet your requirements for providing more info about the pack and charging process and the others are single-port chargers which will allow you to charge in parallel but tgat will take more effort to understand and learn how to do safely.

The best solution for charging those tiny 1-cell lipos is indeed one of those parallel charge adapters as you showed in post #6. Few chargers, and no inexpensive ones other than the ones that come with the RTF models, can safely and reliably fully charge those tiny cells one at a time. This is because to do so requires current measurement and control down to 10mA or less, much too fine a precision for most chargers. By charging them at least four at a time the required resolution rises towards 50mA which is what most chargers can safely manage. Since single cells don't require balancing, you simply connect the parallel adapter board to the main output leads from the charger, configure the charger for 1s (3.7V), set the current appropriately and start your charge.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old May 31, 2010, 04:19 PM
United States, CA, Mill Valley
Joined Feb 2010
658 Posts
Hoppy,

The quattro looks like a good deal.

So it can charge 3 lipos at once from a car battery or wall outlet?
drumbum is offline Find More Posts by drumbum
Old May 31, 2010, 06:00 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
It can charge up to 4 batteries at once from a suitable DC power supply. The DC supply could be a 12V lead-acid battery (e.g a car battery) or an AC/DC power supply that plugs into the wall socket and provides 12-15V DC output. The power supply has to be rated for at least 12V/20A (240W) output to be able to run the charger at its full rated 200W output.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:11 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane-addict View Post
I don't know if it's the best, but there is a new 5 port charger from Turnigy: Turnigy X5 3S 5 port Lithium polymer Battery Charger

It charges through the balance plugs, in steps of 1, 2 or 3A.

How long would this Turnigy X5 3S 5 port take to charge 5 2200mah 3s 20c lipos?
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:48 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,040 Posts
About an hour, depending on the quality of your packs, depth of discharge, and where you set the charge current. 3A setting would be the fastest and should complete in less than an hour for all 5 packs. While 3 amps is slightly greater than 1C charge rate for your 2200mAh packs, it will be just fine if your packs are of decent quality.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:16 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
great thanks mark ! for the price I can't pass this charger up
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:25 AM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,518 Posts
Though not the newest charger, I still like my Xtrema 150 watt charger. With their balancers and interface module it does a very good job.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...48&postcount=2
JMHO,
Terry
ex-racr is online now Find More Posts by ex-racr