HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2010, 04:43 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Discussion
Yet another example of how the militarization of our Police has failed...

It's not dogs this time folks. Now a 7 year old girl was shot by "tactical" police serving a warrant.

Lets see the excuses fly.

Absolutely tragic...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/16/...ild/index.html
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 16, 2010, 04:45 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
This is terrible. I think it's time that police departments be totally disbanded and allow any criminal activity to be allowed without police putting innocent people in jeopardy.

That is the only way that innocent people can never be killed by police again, and then only criminals will be allowed to kill innocent people at will.

'Zat make you feel better?
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old May 16, 2010, 04:57 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,648 Posts
Tragic no doubt. From the story it appears that the female had a bit of physical resistance with an officer and his gun was discharged inadvertently. The suspect in the murder was in the residence so the wrong house argument seems to fall flat. We'll probably never hear what the actual circumstances were but at first blush it seems the family was hanging with a bad guy.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old May 16, 2010, 05:59 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,812 Posts
When you lay down with dogs you get fleas.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old May 16, 2010, 06:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
When you lay down with dogs you get fleas.

So that's what you say to the dead 7 yr old?

Classy.
Old May 16, 2010, 06:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
This is terrible. I think it's time that police departments be totally disbanded and allow any criminal activity to be allowed without police putting innocent people in jeopardy.

That is the only way that innocent people can never be killed by police again, and then only criminals will be allowed to kill innocent people at will.

'Zat make you feel better?

Good one. You should be a comedian.

How about tighter controls on when and where SWAT is utilized and better training?

Nah.. that'd never work.
Old May 16, 2010, 06:12 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,599 Posts
Totally agree it's a tragedy of the highest order, but let's not condemn the police too hastily until all the facts are known.

Do police sometimes act inappropriately, resulting in people getting hurt unnecessarily? Sure, that happens occasionally.

Is that what happened here? I don't think anyone participating in this thread knows the answer to that yet.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old May 16, 2010, 06:15 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
I think Highflight has the right idea. The only way we are going to be able to stop these accidental shootings is to disarm the police. And not allow them to go on any raids anymore. I suppose they could call by phone first, tell them they were coming, but that they would be unarmed, and to have any guilty person there give themselves up. Let's face it. Something has to be done to reign in these officers that go up to a house to conduct a raid armed. Why, somebody may try to get in a fight with them, and the gun may go off. Let's be reasonable here. Take their guns away and this won't happen.
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Old May 16, 2010, 06:15 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
if they "knew" the perp was in the house, they could have waited until he appeared. set up a perimeter and do a stake-out. when he is out of civilian line of fire, nab him.

this, of course, is not the case. i guess they would rather kick in some doors with their guns a blaze'n. didn't these cops learn anything from Ruby Ridge?
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Old May 16, 2010, 07:10 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,383 Posts
One thing we DO know, is that the story as related by police will be highly contrived in their favor. IOW, a lie. It's been demonstrated so many times as to be presumed universal.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old May 16, 2010, 07:14 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
One thing we DO know, is that the story as related by police will be highly contrived in their favor. IOW, a lie. It's been demonstrated so many times as to be presumed universal.

What a statement. Do you believe that all police are part of some big conspiracy and routinely cover up inappropriate behavior. I have known a lot of cops over the years and I didn't get that impression from them at all
Old May 16, 2010, 07:17 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,383 Posts
Quote:
Do you believe that all police... routinely cover up inappropriate behavior
Since you asked, yes, yes I do.

The ones you hung out with wouldn't radiate that impression to you, it's not spoken of out loud even within departments. Last thing in the world they'd want known.
Old May 16, 2010, 07:19 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,648 Posts
That's sad dood
Old May 16, 2010, 07:50 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,383 Posts
It is indeed. That an organization which should represent impeccable ethics, doesn't.

I had a cop roomate. Cop friend of his, who I'd met, was convicted of robbing a tourist. He had a record of 'undisciplined' behavior but the department swept it under the rug until he made it so obvious they couldn't any longer.

Any organization or individual confronted with their own misbehavior will always leverage whatever credibility they have to construct a story exonerating themselves. Police departments have a lot of leverage, and who better to know how to construct exonerating evidence?
Old May 16, 2010, 08:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt View Post
if they "knew" the perp was in the house, they could have waited until he appeared. set up a perimeter and do a stake-out. when he is out of civilian line of fire, nab him.

this, of course, is not the case. i guess they would rather kick in some doors with their guns a blaze'n. didn't these cops learn anything from Ruby Ridge?
Exactly that and the successful raid that netted a dimebag of pot by kicking in a families door and shooting their dogs.

My overarching point is that police are falling too readily into kicking down doors and causing mayhem instead of carrying out proper police-work these days.