Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 16, 2010, 02:27 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,261 Posts
Discussion
Old EK Logictrol 4 ch Radio

I have an old 4 ch EK Logictrol radio (and a 2-servo/RX brick). I know its of no use nowadays (at least for flying RC as it sits), but I was thinking that just for some nostalgia that the TX case might be used to convert to 2.4. It would make a nice TX for oldtimers and simple parkflyers.

There was a thread on the 9303 that one person (who has not posted for several months) says some people have used some old ACE RC boxes to convert to 2.4. He also had a link to a Yahoo message board, but I thought it might be better to ask here.

I was thinking that it might be possible to use the guts from an inexpensive spektrum radio, like maybe the DX5e, and put in the case for the EK. Would the old gimbals be OK to use? The one thing I don't like about the old gimbals is that they are so long.

If I can get this started, I will post some photos. I want to keep the EK TX box as original as possible, hence the DX5e. I will have to add some things such as a toggle for the binding switch, and another for the 5th channel. The 5e has a set of LEDs for the voltmeter, but the old EK has a simple analog needle gauge. Would that still be able to be used?
I would put the switches for the servo reversing on the back of the case.
As the DX5e uses 4 AA batteries, I could obviously coy that, but as the case is held together with four small sheet metal screws, I'd rather have some other battery like a LiPo pack that I could just put a charger jack in. Is it possible to have some sort of LiPo pack to power the DX5e with some modifications?

thanks in advance for any help.
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2010, 07:12 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
The gimbals from the old Logictrol are of better mechanical quality than what is sold these days even in relatively pricy radios. If you use all the gut from the DX5 you'll just need to re scale the analog meter to read from 6 volts. They are just a regular meter which read the current trough a resistor. I am hacking a Hitec CRX myself right now after a mechanical failure and find it quite an interesting project. As for the reverse switches since they are not used very often you could have them inside the box to maintain the original look of the Logictrol. I have several older radios that I will convert to 2.4G eventually but not planning on using Spektrum for that. There is lot of D.I.Y. modules around from China which are very easy to use and bind to much cheaper Rxs as long as the encoder board of the Tx provide a good PPM pulse. As for using Lipo in that Tx it would be difficult unless you are very carefull since the cut-off voltage for two cells would still run the Tx after the cells are bellow 3V each, which would make charging inside the Tx a very risky proposition. Better stick with regular AA cells, A Rx pack would be just fine.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Last edited by coriolan; May 16, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 08:58 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,426 Posts
Some of the people, used the Hobby City 4 channel and or Hobby City 6 channel systems to convert their old systems over to 2,4ghz. The TX and RX are quite inexpensive. The 6 channel is a computer radio, that you program via a USB port from your computer. It doesn't have a on board display, so it is easier to convert a old TX over.
4 channel $26.95 for TX and RX and $15 for extra receivers too.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...x_%28Mode_2%29
6 channel TX and RX for $32.95 with $15.00 for extra receivers.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...x_%28Mode_2%29
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old May 16, 2010, 09:19 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,261 Posts
thanks for the tips.
I'll see what I can get as far as a nicad or NiMH battery pack goes for the RX. I'm going to try to get a spektrum DX5e off ebay, so as not to spend too much (I'm sticking with Spektrum as that is what I have right now, as far as receivers, etc. goes).
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old May 16, 2010, 10:53 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,998 Posts
Why not just stick with AA NiMH batteries and use the manufacturer's charger? Best are Sanyo Eneloops or Rayovac Hybrids, which have about 2000 mAh capacity and very low self-discharge rate.

They would be better and cheaper than a receiver pack.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 17, 2010, 11:17 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn View Post
I was thinking that it might be possible to use the guts from an inexpensive spektrum radio, like maybe the DX5e, and put in the case for the EK. Would the old gimbals be OK to use? The one thing I don't like about the old gimbals is that they are so long.
The general concept is good. I did this with a Kraft radio, stuffing a DX5e board into it. I had to trim the edges of the board off and manually jumpering some signals, but it works fine.

I would use a normally open pushbutton rather than a toggle for the bind/range/Ch 6 button.

There are pictures over on RCU of the conversion.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor