HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:24 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
I picked my new Flutter-By up on Sunday, we got to test fly it for a few minutes before (more) storms rolled in. It looks awesome. I'm happy to finally have my own Flutter-By, as that is the plane I first learned to fly and took instruction on. It is event more responsive than I remember. I haven't had a chance to take any pictures of it yet, but I'll post them soon. I'm glad to finally be on the list of satisfied Flutter-By owners.
Thanks Jack, awesome work as always!

Eric
met-orion is offline Find More Posts by met-orion
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:59 AM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbydarma View Post
Deleted
Dolbydarma,

Even though you deleted the videos you posted....and I understand why you did...they were very cool and of excellent quality! I hope you have posted them in the airborne video section where others can enjoy them as well. Nice work!

Jack
Flutter-By is offline Find More Posts by Flutter-By
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:03 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Prospective Flutter-By Owners,

After shipping the most recent batch of planes....I realize that the shipping is going to have to be a flat $40. I guess shipping prices are going up!

Jack
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:15 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter-By View Post

After shipping the most recent batch of planes....I realize that the shipping is going to have to be a flat $40. I guess shipping prices are going up!

Jack
I certainly don't see where that's a problem, Flutter-By. Considering the size and weight of the box and packing materials you use to ship the Flutter-By, I think that's a great deal. In comparison, I shipped a box the other day that was appoximately 4" x 22" x 34" inches, and weighed only 9 pounds. Shipped regular UPS, the cost was still over $10.00. Yours is a deal! Thanks again for a great product, and for looking out for your "Fans of the Flutter-Bys!"
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:33 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
My wife stuck her head in the garage earlier and said "Another plane?!" ... that told me that UPS was parked outside

I ordered a florescent orange Flutter-By with a light kit and today it arrived. It certainly is a large box, so I don't doubt the shipping costs at all. Everything was packed really well and after looking it over I understand why they are made to order - this is quite a design. There is a lot more to these than the pictures convey.

Assembly (or re-assembly as I should say) was simple and all the wires were labelled. I used a 6110e receiver mounted in location that Jack had applied velcro to. It was getting near sundown so I decided to head out and get a flight in while I could. I used a Flightmax 1300 30c pack, mounted on the platform that is pre-installed.

I taxied around the parking lot a bit to see how it responded, it doesn't want to turn to the right much while on the ground. Not a big deal by any means but be aware if you intend to try rolling around. With it pointed where I wanted I throttle up to about 30% and it jumped up in about 5 feet for an easy launch. Just a few clicks of trim on the rudder and elevator and it was flying straight.

It's really hard to explain the flight, it's not really like anything I've ever tried. I was thinking it was similar to a large Vapor that is more maneuverable and with more power, but then that makes it not really like a Vapor at all What's amazing is how it can fly in so many different ways. Slow high alpha floats, straight vertical with surprising pull, REALLY tight loops and amazing rolls for a rudder/elevator model.

I only flew for a little over 9 minutes as it was getting dark and the wind was picking up, and I didn't really want to push it on my first day with it. I really like the orange color, it shows up very well against blue sky and in dusk conditions. The lights are really nice and show up well even with daylight still.

Tomorrow I'll get some pictures, take a few more flights and hopefully get some video too.

Thanks again Jack!
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:22 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
I love it when a "plane" comes together! Sorry.....I couldn't resist.

Jack
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:19 PM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
Quote:
Dolbydarma,

Even though you deleted the videos you posted....and I understand why you did...they were very cool and of excellent quality! I hope you have posted them in the airborne video section where others can enjoy them as well. Nice work!

Jack
Thanks for your comments - I posted them in the Radian and AXN threads.

I do think the Flutter-By would be great for camera work!
dolbydarma is offline Find More Posts by dolbydarma
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:44 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
Here are a couple of pics I took of my new Flutter-By tonight. Also I agree with wrathchild, you can have a nice stroll through the park, or really get aggressive with it.
met-orion is offline Find More Posts by met-orion
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:37 AM
USA, MI, Dearborn
Joined Aug 2001
60 Posts
Question: Can I buy lights for my Flutter-By to install myself when I can afford it?

albert
albert is offline Find More Posts by albert
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:41 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert View Post
Question: Can I buy lights for my Flutter-By to install myself when I can afford it?

albert
Sure you can Albert....I use the MPI ACC256 Micro Lighting set. It will require that you buy an extra blue LED and an extra white LED to set it up like you saw on the video. It also requires some of the existing wires to be lengthened as well. The lighting kit sells for $26.95 plus $2.50 each for the extra LED's. You will also need an additional male/female connector if you want your wing to remain removable.

Jack
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:50 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
My wife stuck her head in the garage earlier and said "Another plane?!" ... that told me that UPS was parked outside

I ordered a florescent orange Flutter-By with a light kit and today it arrived. It certainly is a large box, so I don't doubt the shipping costs at all. Everything was packed really well and after looking it over I understand why they are made to order - this is quite a design. There is a lot more to these than the pictures convey.

Assembly (or re-assembly as I should say) was simple and all the wires were labelled. I used a 6110e receiver mounted in location that Jack had applied velcro to. It was getting near sundown so I decided to head out and get a flight in while I could. I used a Flightmax 1300 30c pack, mounted on the platform that is pre-installed.

I taxied around the parking lot a bit to see how it responded, it doesn't want to turn to the right much while on the ground. Not a big deal by any means but be aware if you intend to try rolling around. With it pointed where I wanted I throttle up to about 30% and it jumped up in about 5 feet for an easy launch. Just a few clicks of trim on the rudder and elevator and it was flying straight.

It's really hard to explain the flight, it's not really like anything I've ever tried. I was thinking it was similar to a large Vapor that is more maneuverable and with more power, but then that makes it not really like a Vapor at all What's amazing is how it can fly in so many different ways. Slow high alpha floats, straight vertical with surprising pull, REALLY tight loops and amazing rolls for a rudder/elevator model.

I only flew for a little over 9 minutes as it was getting dark and the wind was picking up, and I didn't really want to push it on my first day with it. I really like the orange color, it shows up very well against blue sky and in dusk conditions. The lights are really nice and show up well even with daylight still.

Tomorrow I'll get some pictures, take a few more flights and hopefully get some video too.

Thanks again Jack!
Welcome to the "Brotherhood of Flutter-By Flyers" Wrathchild... you are about to have the time of your life! As you mentioned in your post, words don't do justice for the quality and craftsmanship that Jack puts into the Flutter-By. Close-up photography cannot depict just how strong the plane is designed and built - you have to see the plane in person. And, as you found out during your brief first flight, the proof of the design and construction is in the pudding! As far as you being impressed with your first flight; "You ain't seen nothin' yet!" You're going to have a blast just like the rest of us! Congratulations!
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:37 AM
Joined Jan 2010
86 Posts
What I shoulda said.....

Originally Posted by Wrathchild
"My wife stuck her head in the garage earlier and said "Another plane?!"

Proper Answer: "No, darling...................that's not another plane............. It's a Flutter-By!!!!"

Congratulations.............I KNOW you're really going to enjoy yours!
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
Old Jun 18, 2010, 04:06 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Quote:

Jack
This flat $40 rate only applies to the "continental" United States.....
Old Jun 18, 2010, 05:49 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,979 Posts
met-orion,
Nice Flutter-By. Stealth Edition. Very, very Cool.
You will enjoy it a lot.
Night flying will be a blast.
Two more satisfied Flutter-By owners.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight today.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 08:04 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,979 Posts
Wrathchild,
Get some pictures of you Flutter-By. I love to see all the different colors that Jack has made. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed all of mine.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
you have been won over to the Flutter-By mania.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight today.