Tom,

Send me an email at jefsquared@gmail.com

Jack
Flutter-By is offline Find More Posts by Flutter-By
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2010, 05:01 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
I have been receiving a number of emails asking for Mini Flutter-By's, Mini Flutter-BI biplanes, and Flutter-By canards.....please note that the only Flutter-By currently in production is the standard 38" wing span Flutter-By that Doctor Who reviewed at the beginning of this thread.

Thank all of you for your interest...I will be sure to let everyone know if and when I am able to offer other Flutter-By variants.

Jack
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:20 PM
USA, MI, Dearborn
Joined Aug 2001
60 Posts
I am a sailplane nut but my thumbs are very itchy to fly this Flutter-by. Oh and this should be on the first page.
albert is offline Find More Posts by albert
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:41 PM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
Me too... Any chance of a Fathers Day sale coming up??? I can see it's worth the $300, but my wallet doesn't have that much available .
dolbydarma is offline Find More Posts by dolbydarma
Old Jun 12, 2010, 06:05 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
Albert,
Come North the weekend after Father's Day to the Tramps Air Show at Empire Airport, west of Traverse City and you can test fly either my Combat Flutter-By or the Red Flutter-By. The Air Show is listed in the AMA events portion of MA. It is a very nice air show.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:30 PM
USA, MI, Dearborn
Joined Aug 2001
60 Posts
Orrin,
Boy that sure sounds fun! Donít know if I can make it but if I do I hope to have my own flutter-by to fly. I will let you know if I will make it soon.
albert
albert is offline Find More Posts by albert
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:02 AM
Where'd it go? Uh Oh!
Russia, Kamchatka Krai, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky
Joined Nov 2004
549 Posts
If it flies, I can break it. What parts are the most frequently broken, and can they be ordered from "Flutter By"?

Regards,
Grog
capngrog is offline Find More Posts by capngrog
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:20 AM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Grog,

Other than props...the most frequently broken parts are the tail sufaces....from people leaving them in their cars!

I think I have replaced five of them.

The carbon frame is extruded (fibers mixed with glue) and doesn't like the heat that is generated inside a closed car. The way the carbon is bent to make the tails puts it under a good deal of tension(and gives it it's rigidity).
When the carbon is exposed to the heat of the closed car(oven) the glue/carbon sometimes separates and the carbon fails. The only thing that keeps the tail together is the covering that is glued to it...but it very obvious to even the most casual observer that it has failed.

.....and yes, I can make replacement tails.

Jack
Old Jun 14, 2010, 06:23 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
How many of you Flutter-By owners would be interested in Flutter-By T-shirts? I have had some people email me asking when I would have them available again....

The price would be somewhere between $12-15 depending on the level of interest. They are florescent yellow shirts with a Flutter-By logo on the left breast and the word Flutter-By on the back just as it appears on the airplane. The more people interested...the better the price!

If you are interested, email me your size and quantity to jefsquared@gmail.com

Jack
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
T-shirt and More

Hi Jack,

As you know, I already have a Flutter-By T-shirt.....if you're going to make another run of them, count me in for another one - I've noticed that when you have a t-shirt that "matches" your airplane, it is a guaranteed conversation starter......and I enjoy meeting new people and "talking Flutter-By".

Now, normally, I'd just e-mail this to you, rather than post it as a thread, but this is too good an opportunity to pass up for those that haven't heard an old joke:
"When asked what size pants he wore, the proud Flutter-By owner responded: Well, I wear a 32, but 34's feel so good that I buy 36's!"

(Better make my T-shirt a "Double XX")

On another topic, I need just a bit of encouragement to post some of my Flutter-By Air Camera Videos....... You no doubt remember making a camera mount for my plane to handle the fantastic $29 mini video recorder I bought? Well, I have some pretty good footage of various Flutter-By flights. I don't yet know how to edit it and keep it short enough to post.........so....before I take the time to learn that skill, is anybody out there interested in seeing what video footage you can get with a small video recorder mounted on a Flutter-By?

Bob
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:25 PM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bglasa View Post
Hi Jack,

As you know, I already have a Flutter-By T-shirt.....if you're going to make another run of them, count me in for another one - I've noticed that when you have a t-shirt that "matches" your airplane, it is a guaranteed conversation starter......and I enjoy meeting new people and "talking Flutter-By".

Now, normally, I'd just e-mail this to you, rather than post it as a thread, but this is too good an opportunity to pass up for those that haven't heard an old joke:
"When asked what size pants he wore, the proud Flutter-By owner responded: Well, I wear a 32, but 34's feel so good that I buy 36's!"

(Better make my T-shirt a "Double XX")

On another topic, I need just a bit of encouragement to post some of my Flutter-By Air Camera Videos....... You no doubt remember making a camera mount for my plane to handle the fantastic $29 mini video recorder I bought? Well, I have some pretty good footage of various Flutter-By flights. I don't yet know how to edit it and keep it short enough to post.........so....before I take the time to learn that skill, is anybody out there interested in seeing what video footage you can get with a small video recorder mounted on a Flutter-By?

Bob
Bob,

Put your video on YouTube and then post it into the thread like I did with the night flying video.
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:49 PM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
Post the vids

Deleted
dolbydarma is offline Find More Posts by dolbydarma
Last edited by dolbydarma; Jun 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:09 PM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Oops

Mea Culpa............I should not have taken liberties with proper posting etiquette and gone direct to Jack about the T-shirts as I think that may be why my offer to post Flutter-By video resulted in the prior post of generic RC flight video

May I suggest that we keep this forum about All things Flutter-By? Posting generic items that have no relevance to the Flutter-By model or to Flutter-By flights and people strikes me as not appropriate.

Similarly, though I greatly appreciate Dr. Who's help with how to post the Flutter-By video, it was improper of me to solicit help for that task on this thread. Sorry 'bout that.

Look for my next post to be "100% Flutter-By"
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:26 PM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Camera Mount

It's going to take a couple of days for me to get to video posting - but in the meantime, here is a picture of the camera I used and and the camera mount.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:18 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Mine arrives today
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild