Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:16 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bglasa View Post
this seems perfect for what i want..........

( ..................though I am not philosophically opposed to compensation !!)
Selectively edited by Conehead, who was supposed to be adopted by Bob, but he said no and any donatations to Conehead's fund would be greately appreciated.

Many don't believe that it will fly, but once in the air, they become believers.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
From the first page of the review....

Wingspan: 38”
Wing Area: 570 sq”
AUW weight: 17.6 oz.
Length: 43”
Wing loading: 4.45 oz/sq. ft.
Servos: 2 – 9 Gram TowerPro
Transmitter: Spektrum 12X
Receiver: Spektrum AR6100
Battery: Thunder Power 1350mAh 3s LiPoly
Motor: E-flite Park 450 890 Kv
ESC: E-flite 25a Pro Brushless
Manufacturer: Flutter-By Models (jefsquared@gmail.com)
Price: $295.00

Since each Flutter-By is made to order, the components used can be customized. The standard Flutter-By includes a 400 class brushless outrunner, 20-amp ESC, two 9 gram servos and an APC 11x4.7 SF propeller. The pilot may choose to provide their own equipment, as I did, to lower the cost by $65.00.

Flutter-By includes:

Complete carbon fiber airframe covered with rip-stop polyester with a poly carbonate coating.
400 sized electric outrunner motor, 20 amp ESC, two 9-gram servos already installed
Hardware installed (nylon clevis connectors, pushrods and horns)
Decals already applied
Flutter-By requires:

3s LiPoly battery
Receiver
3 channel minimum transmitter

The Flutter-By is available in one of four different colors. Florescent Yellow, Red, Purple, and Florescent Orange. Other colors are available; however, they require the materials to be special ordered. Also a night-flying version is available with an MPI light kit already installed. The additional colors or light kit are available for an additional $20.00 and $50.00 respectively.

Hope it helps....
Flutter-By is offline Find More Posts by Flutter-By
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:53 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
Anyone flying lately outdoors?? Today was nice, about 28-30 degrees and so I went for a ride on my snowmobile across the lake. I put some sea foam in the tank to help clean the carbs out and then went out for a few passes across the lake at full throttle. A couple of passes topped out just shy of 100 mph, which is about 20 times as fast as a Flutter-By will fly. Most were between 60 to 85 mph, again far faster than the Flutter-By and the snow on the lake was just right. The sled didn't sink in, I just skimmed across the lake. More carb. cleaner needs to be added and maybe another can of sea foam. I know they don't make batteries that would run a sled as fast as I went, but I can still fly about 30 minutes on one 1300 mah 3 cell lipo. Even with the lights on.

Got to get out on the lake and fly more before it turns liquid again. Supposed to be nice all week, 25-35 degrees, south of us there is a big storm moving across the nation.

So all of you south of me, hang on, Mother Nature is going to whack some of you. Snow, sleet, rain, freezing rain and some will get ice. Not going to be pretty.

Have fun ya'll, this northener is going to fly on the ice as before it melts, which won't be long.

Spring is supposed to arrive in 16 days, so the calender says.
Welcome to the end of winter.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:12 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post

Have fun ya'll, this northener is going to fly on the ice as before it melts, which won't be long.

Spring is supposed to arrive in 16 days, so the calender says.
Welcome to the end of winter.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Hey Orrin, How's the "End of Winter" thing working out for you? LOL!

Keith
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:45 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtColBryan View Post
Hey Orrin, How's the "End of Winter" thing working out for you? LOL!

Keith
Winter? What Winter?
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
[QUOTE= I know they don't make batteries that would run a sled as fast as I went...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be too sure about that!

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/researc.../electric.html
Flutter-By is offline Find More Posts by Flutter-By
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:57 PM
Joined Feb 2005
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
Winter? What Winter?
I know, right... Scott!..... you guys have any flowers blooming in the Western part of the State? The Marigolds and Bradford Pear Trees are blooming like crazy on the coast. Beautiful weather for flying Flutter-Bys!

Keith
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:03 AM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:
I know, right... Scott!..... you guys have any flowers blooming in the Western part of the State? The Marigolds and Bradford Pear Trees are blooming like crazy on the coast. Beautiful weather for flying Flutter-Bys!

Keith
We have some trees blooming, but it sounds like you are a little ahead of us.
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:49 PM
Joined Feb 2005
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
We have some trees blooming, but it sounds like you are a little ahead of us.
If things go like they do so many times, we'll get a late freeze which will kill all the buds, flowers, and folliage - Then the plants have to start all over again. Let's hope that doesn't happen this year.

Keep those Flutter-By's flying!

Keith
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Feb 2005
266 Posts
They're Baaaaack!

Well, if the trees full of buds and flowers, and the Marigolds in full bloom wasn't proof enough that Spring is upon us, my fine, feathered, Flutter-By flying friends (Purple Martins) arrived today, after completing their 2,000 mile trip from South America. I surprised them this year by having 12 brand new gourds waiting when they arrived... After watching their reaction, I think they were pleased. I am looking forward to approximately five months of Flutter-By formation and aerobatic flying with them. I hope some of my other Flutter-By family members are lucky enough to do the same!

Keith
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:41 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
Well we know up here in Northern Michigan that Spring is supposed to be on its way, but it took a detour for a while. I am not complaining one bit. Last year we were in shorts, no shirts, with temps in the 70's to 80's and everything leafed out. Then wham, Old Mother Nature came along and whacked us good. Froze all the fruit trees, thus now Cherries, Apples, Pears, Peaches. Drove the price of Cherries sky high so to speak.

Red Wing Blackbirds are the first to show up and last week we had one, Thursday we had 5 of them so Spring is on its way. The lake, is still frozen solid, we got about an inch of snow last night, the ice on the lake is talking, grunting as the wind blows it around. Even a flat surface of 2700 acres of ice moves with the wind. It has moved about 3 to 4 feet. Now this is ice that is 6-10 inches thick in many places, of course thinner on the edges. So no good flying weather right now, windy, cold and just plain terrible to fly in.

So all of you down south, enjoy, in another week, if that darn rodent was right, Buckeye Chuck, the ground hog, we will see warmer temps, and I will be able to fly in places.

Have fun, maybe this afternoon I will ride the sled and use up more fuel and get it ready for summer. It gets parked in our storage building and sits on a lift.

Enjoy all, I am going to take a short nap now. I have been up for a while, so nap time. aka, I am going to imitate Bob, except I will be flat on my back. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Conehead
Orrin Eldred

nighty night.ZZZZZZZZZZZZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:27 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
Well the old adage of Beware of the Ides of March is true today. Yesterday, about 2 PM the weather people said snow would fall. 10-4, it happened. Started slow, a few flakes, then more then some more, by 11 PM we had about 1/4 of an inch or there about. Not bad. Well overnight, lake effect snow, this morning when I walked the dogs, about 5 inches of new white fluffy snow had fallen, weather alert, 3-5 more inches by tomorrow and more wind than you can imagine. So that is it from up North where Spring arrives in about 15 hours or there about and we have about 8 inches of snow on the ground.

Y'all down south are enjoying the hell out of this and having fun with your Flutter-Bys, but here, well lets say, the weather sucks in a way. Buckeye Chuck, the Ohio rodent, aka ground hog, was right, but old P. Phill was wrong by a mile.

I think I will take a nap now, I am tired from writing all this, besides I have to get my beauty sleep. I am so good looking the flowers just bloom for me, when they come up.
ZZZZZ oh I dozed a bit,

I will have to crank up the snowblower later, better rest up for that project.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz opps, nodded off again.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred

zzzzzzzzzzzz oh never mind, zzzzzzzzzzzz

photos later, as soon as the battery gets charged..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: More of the same Orrin syndrome, brain is on strike
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:42 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
Spring is almost here

I promised to add photos, when I tried, something happened, but y'all get the idea. Spring will be here soon. Just how soon, well that is debatable.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:45 PM
Joined Feb 2005
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
I promised to add photos, when I tried, something happened, but y'all get the idea. Spring will be here soon. Just how soon, well that is debatable.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Ahhhh, Switzerland..... it certainly IS beautiful this time of year! Thanks for sharing the photo's with us Orrin.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:24 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
552 Posts
Quote:
Ahhhh, Switzerland..... it certainly IS beautiful this time of year! Thanks for sharing the photo's with us Orrin.
I thought there were mountains in Switzerland.... That looks more like Antarctica... welcome to the official first day of spring!
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP