HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2010, 02:53 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,162 Posts
Awesome

sorry I didn't have time to read thoroughly. How much wind can she handle???

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
Contact Jack Frost at the address above.
He will give you all the details.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Be sure to read the review first. Dr. Who gives lots of info and the video of the Flutter-By is great. I didn't know you could do what Jack does with that plane. Amazing. I have never tried to do what he does.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2010, 05:02 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
I have flown mine in 10 mph winds, others may want to comment on their experience.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Jun 02, 2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: forgot an s, slow down fingers!
Old Jun 02, 2010, 05:29 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,162 Posts
this thing is like a huge Vapor lol
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 02, 2010, 06:28 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
Some have said that, some have said that the Vapor was designed around the mini-Flutter-Bys. I don't know the facts around the Vapor.
I like the Vapor, especially the new one, and as you can plainly see, I love my Flutter-Bys. I must say that I have never done what Jack has done in the video that was shot. I will say I get more comments about the Flutter-Bys than any other plane I own. They are a fun airplane. I have one with me almost all the time.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jun 03, 2010, 12:23 AM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
Looks Awesome!!! Great Video!!!

Quick question about tear down... this plane has a pretty big wing span, how quick and easy can this plane be broke down to fit in the family truckster???
dolbydarma is offline Find More Posts by dolbydarma
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:20 AM
Joined May 2010
80 Posts
The 38" wingspan doesn't seem to be a problem for most people...although the wing can be removed in about 30 seconds by cutting the (6) zip-ties used to hold it on.
Flutter-By is offline Find More Posts by Flutter-By
Old Jun 03, 2010, 10:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Which came first, the CobWeb, or the FlutterBy? They both look identical to me.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 03, 2010, 04:41 PM
Joined May 2010
80 Posts
I don't know when the Cobweb was released, but I have been making the Flutter-By for about eight years. The two planes differ greatly(see post #58) I do know that the Flutter-By is built much stronger and can be flown in a very small indoor space or in a good deal ( I've flown it in winds in excess of 20 mph)of wind outdoors. I have a video on youtube...just search for Jack Frost Flutter-By.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 11:22 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
Both of my Large Flutter-Bys have rubber bands holding the wings on, so you can take the wing of rather quickly.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2010, 07:52 AM
Joined May 2010
80 Posts
Rubber-band wing hold-downs are an earlier design...the wing is now held on with the zip-ties. As with all plastic zip-ties, they get brittle over time and should be checked for security periodically.
Last edited by Flutter-By; Jun 04, 2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2010, 11:35 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
Hi Flutter-By,

First, that is one neat little plane you have there. A few questions for you...

Concerning the lighting system you offer MPS I believe? How many lights are there on the airframe? Does it run off it's own battery or use the flight battery? Can they be unplugged or turned off during daylight hours? Any one plane color better for visibility at night? And finally what is the weight penalty of the lighting system?

What type of lead time do you need to deliver one? (Plane that is with light option)

Sorry for all the questions but I'm really interested.

Thanks,

Tim
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old Jun 05, 2010, 12:04 AM
Joined May 2010
80 Posts
The lighting system is from MPI...a red LED on the left wing tip, a green LED on the right wing tip, a blue LED on the top of the rudder, a white LED on the bottom of the nose, and a lighting control unit that allows you to adjust the rate and duration the two flashing white LED's on the main landing gear. They plug into a spare channel on the receiver drawing their power from the motor battery.

The current draw is approximately 20 milliamps per LED. The lights are not on a switch, they come on when you plug in the battery.

The lighting systems only adds one ounce to the plane...can't notice it in flight.

I find florescent yellow to be the best color for visibility in most light conditions...but everybody has their own opinion.

2-4 weeks is the average lead time depending on how many I am building at the time.

Don't worry about all of the questions...I'm just glad you asked some that I had answers for!

Jack
Old Jun 08, 2010, 07:13 AM
USA, MI, Dearborn
Joined Aug 2001
60 Posts
Check is in the mail!!!
albert is offline Find More Posts by albert
Old Jun 08, 2010, 04:48 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
Albert, I hope you are like me in the end. Best money I ever spent. Been one of the most fun planes to fly I have ever owned.
If you are up north in two weeks, the TRAMPS, will have an airshow at Empire Airport. If you stop by, I got a Red Flutter-By you can try out.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2010, 06:10 PM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,508 Posts
The Cobweb is nothing like the FB! The CW is a slow, fragile indoor flyer. I have an Eflite 180 on a CW, and it will fold up at full power, which is not much power. If you fly a CW too fast, it will enter a dive that is very difficult to recover from.

I still want a Flutter By.
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn