HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:34 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
Well I hope that this year Bob can stay awake, but if he chooses to take a nap, then someone fly his Flutter-By for him.

Make sure everyone has a camera ready, just in case Bob starts to nod off. We need another, updated photo of what Bob looks like, at E-Fest.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:12 PM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Bob is making no guarantees. Let the record show, however, that Bob has never "chosen" to take a Nap at E-Fest............it just happens! And this year, without Orrin's luminary presence, a good snooze is no doubt even more likely!
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:21 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
Ya'll have a great time at E-Fest.

Post lots of photos of Flutter-Bys and of course of any sleepy heads.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Just meet Jack and several other Flutter-By"ers" at E-Fest. Now I am home charging batteries and preparing for my first flight on the newest plane in the hangar. I am sure from all the previous post, I am going to enjoy it, but I will post an update just to be sure.
swelland is offline Find More Posts by swelland
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:18 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
Welcome and you will enjoy your Flutter-By. Now if you can get a photo of Bob asleep. I did see a photo of him taking off at E-Fest, so I know he is there.

The layout has really changed this year.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:34 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
Ah yes, you can see Bob and his Flutter-By.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:37 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
More Flutter-Bys at E-Fest.

Also a mini-Flutter-By. One of very few ever made.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:51 PM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
E-Fest "Live Report"

Greetings All ............ I am proud - and maybe as surprised as all of you - that I did not fall asleep at this years event! Too much great stuff to see, and a LOT more fun with "no restrictions" on the number of Pilot Stations. Like the JR Indoor Festival, if you can find a spot on the Floor and can control your "pucker factor" you can throw your plane up.

As a result - much more flying this year. For most of us the flying highlight of the day was the Mass Ascension of Flutter-By's which boasted, by my count, no fewer than 6 Flutter-by's in the air at once. My contribution didn't last that long; I had a pretty minor mid-air about 15 seconds into the flight and when the little foamy I tangled with fell away, I was confident I would just keep on flying. Imagine my surprise when I found I had no power (turns out I had lost half my prop to the foamy.........snapped it right at the base by the shaft) and that I was going to have to come out of the air. Oh well, ya gotta love the way our planes glide, so I established what I still maintain was a perfect glide angle for an emergency dead-stick landing parallel to the Flight Line and about 6-8 feet out. Figured I could at least demonstrate that our planes are also good at gliding. What I didn't see coming, though, was some other guy (pilot?) suddenly leaving the flight line to go out onto the floor AND NEVER EVEN LOOKING IF THERE MIGHT BE ANY OF THE 30 OR SO FLYING AIRPLANES IN HIS GENERAL VICINITY! Anyway, as surprised as I was, this guy was even more surprised when he suddenly found himself wearing my Flutter-By as a necklace........ he took the hit right between his shoulders and his face. Thankfully, he was only startled and not hurt.

The Flutter-By responded by making one of the loudest sounds heard in the building all day and then promptly snapping all 5 of the cable tie-downs that fasten the wing to the fuselage. I know this because the wing tumbled forward another 5 feet while the fuselage stopped dead and fell at the misfortunate pilots feet. Looked awful. On the bright side, when the "victim" moved his hands away from his neck and face, it looked really good not to see any blood or injuries!

Damage Report from my Double Accident (Mid Air followed by a Human Strike): I needed one new prop (I won't be flying any more of the orange slow props) and 5 new cable ties. That's it. I don't think too many of the planes at E-fest could have done that. I'm told that all the rest of our Flutter-By brethren really enjoyed the flight; I know that many in the crowd took notice and gave "us" rave reviews (Hey, my 15 seconds still counts, right?).

Jack sold every airplane he brought with him and talked to a lot more folks who would like to own one. "The Legend Lives On..........."
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:14 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
Well Bob, glad there was no damage to the human. Like you, I think I have the record of Mid-airs and I have taken out a fair number of foamies and other planes. The Flutter-By is an amazing machine.

Well golly, Bob didn't fall asleep. Glad Jack sold some Flutter-By's. Hope he made sure had had one for himself. I hope he keeps the mini Flutter-By.

New prop, 5 wire ties, well that is a fairly cheap mid-air and human-air event.

Sure wish there were pictures of the Bob-Event.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:47 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
586 Posts
No pictures of the Bob-Event (tm) as we were all flying at the time. Not sure what your record for mid airs is Orrin but I may have come close today. In one flight I took out a couple Carbon Cubs and a Gee Bee before bumping into Bob's Flutter-By. The Gee Bee damaged my elevator but the plane kept on flying until the contact with Bob's plane. Then the elevator gave up trying to hang on and I went in breaking the motor mount (I think I hold the record for breaking those) and a prop. Jack was great as usual and managed a field repair that got me back in the air for the Flutter-By Overcast. Later in the day I had two more midairs with no damage. So there was 5 claimed not counting the "friendly fire".

I'll have some pics if I can get them to upload. That's gonna have to be after getting home since the &*&%$#$& internet in the hotel is slower than dial up.
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
Last edited by 325FGP; Feb 09, 2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: late night typoing
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:41 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
Dave,
I think you hold the record for the most motor mounts broken. You may be also have the record of Mid-airs. I think I have about 10 kills, but you are now ahead of me.

With them opening up E-Fest and what seems like no pilot stations, there are more planes in the air and the armory is not all that big.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:54 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
I found this image in the list of photos at E-Fest.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:51 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
This is not a Flutter-By, it is a Cob Web by Hobby Lobby. Not the same. I should have known better.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Feb 10, 2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: wrong plane.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined May 2010
80 Posts
That's not a Flutter-By...it is a Cobweb from Hobby Lobby...an indoor flyer.
Flutter-By is offline Find More Posts by Flutter-By
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:55 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
My Error.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member