HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
47 Posts
I got a few flights in around noon, but it was too hot, so waited until dusk, and went back to get a few more flights in.
I did put some new landing gear on this afternoon.....a set of these.
http://www.millenniumrc.com/X-Gear.html
I went with yellow for the hell of it.
They'll clamp right on the fuselage tube, (after you assemble the gear) just behind the stock forward wing mount, landing gear slot.
The wire gear on my flutter by were a bit too 'energy absorbing' for my tastes.
I saved the oem gear and parts in case putting the stiffer gear turns out to be a mistake, but a few sloppy landings today didn't seem to indicate any problems. Oh, I used the wheels they came with the plane< i just had to ream the holes for the axles out a bit.

I did move the lights from the landing gear legs, to the leading edge of the wing, temporarily taping them in place, but they sure stand out better on the leading edge.
Pete1955 is offline Find More Posts by Pete1955
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:12 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Nice looking set of gear, Pete - thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Keith
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
47 Posts
Has anyone had any luck mounting a small video camera to a Flutter-by?
Where, and what type?

I tried a camera that was maybe a bit too heavy, velcro-ed it on top of the battery, but the camera angle was wrong, pointing too high, and you were shooting through the prop, so got some distortion.

Will try a keychain cam next. The one I used looks like an aluminum AA flashlight. Hard to mount on the FB, maybe a bit too heavy.

Will post the little bit of bad video I did manage to get later, after get it uploaded to youtube.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Mar 2012
47 Posts
Here's one still shot captured from the video.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
[QUOTE=Pete1955;22169703]Has anyone had any luck mounting a small video camera to a Flutter-by?
Where, and what type?

Several of us have mounted small cameras to temporary mounts attached to our Flutter-Bys, Pete. I'm not at my shop right now to give you the particulars on the camera, but I can tell you that it uses a Micro SD disc for storage, and its internal battery is charged via a USB port on your computer. The video is also downloaded to your computer through a USB port via an included USB adapter cable.

Manufacture the portion of your mount that the camera will be attached at the angle your camera is to be facing during flight. This takes some experimenting, but you will get the angle right after a few attempts. Several of us like the camera angle facing the front of the plane, at a downward angle, with the lower half of the landing gear appearing in the upper 1/4 of the screen, but that is just our preference.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Mar 2012
47 Posts
The trick will be avoiding getting the prop in the video.

I was hoping to fasten a tiny cam somewhere it could point straigt ahead, and over or under the prop.

Here's a few minutes of the bad video I managed to get. There were two news helicopters hovering around the mill fire, I thought at least I'd see them in the video, but never saw them. (No I wasn't flying close to the choppers)

Note the gentle landing.

I think the stiffer gear has a bit of a downside, it doesn't soak up some of the impact the lighter wire gear did.
After I took the cam off, and did another flight, I broke the downthrust stick adapter thing on a rough landing. Prop was fine. Maybe it was stressed or cracked from other 'gentle' landings?

Flutterby w/cam near Spartanburg, SC (2 min 43 sec)

On a clear day from this flying site, I should get a nice view of the mountains.

I've got several cams, Col, I've been playing with, or the type you mention. I tried to set them up as 'accident' cams in the tractor trailer. Supposedly they'll record, re-record over forever, untl you stop the cam. Not had much luck with them in the truck, but have one that does take nice video, a little smaller than a 5 stick pack of gum.
I think mounting under the fuselage, pointing between the gear at a slightly downward angle may miss some or most of the prop.
Will try that next time.
Last edited by Pete1955; Jul 16, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Wow, Pete... I thought for a minute that you had documented a crash, after seeing the black smoke!

With the camera mounted under the fuselage at the angle mentioned in my previous post, the prop does not come into play. You barely see the lower portion wheels in the video, so the prop is out of the field of view.

You video was not bad, and if you decide to leave the camera mounted as it is, color the back of your prop flat black. That should prevent you from seeing the prop flickering in the video. Keep experimenting - you'll get it. If you need me to, I can send you of a photograph of the camera mount we fabricated for the Flutter-By.

Keith
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:38 AM
Joined Mar 2012
47 Posts
Will try the camera underneath the fuselage next time, and use a lighter camera, I have some ideas.

I don't want to know what I would have to crash the flutter-by into to create that much smoke and won't risk making any jokes about it due to recent incidents.

Did I mention how I think homeland security and various law enforcement and intelligence units are doing a wonderful job keeping America safe from terrorists?

(Humming 'God Bless America' as I type)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:24 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
586 Posts
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME INDOOR?!!!

I had an email from Terry Nitsch saying that they were doing a couple things to the website for the JR Indoor and it should be up soon. Looking forward to seeing Conehead again (I know he'll be there he always is) and hoping to see a couple others from the Flutter By family there also. For those who don't know the website is: WWW.JRIEFESTIVAL.COM

Again it's not up right now but should be soon.
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
This is a fun event. No pilot stations, I have been able to fly my Flutter-By as many times as I wanted. last year I did test with a video camera, the camera was not good, but my flight was fine. They had me fly over the pilots, way up towards the ceiling, I wasn't sure about that, but kept the Flutter-By away from everything, then back out into the normal area. I never fly over people. So I had two firsts.

Remember we build a lake to float fly from. So if you got floats on your Flutter-By, you will be good to go.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred

Hope the web site comes up soon.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Mar 2012
47 Posts
I'm still experimenting with some cams.
Finally replaced the broken downthrust stick yesterday, so getting some flights in. (I"m out on the road all the time, the replacements were sitting in my mailbox, getting dusty...)
Since I had a yellow motor mount to match the landing gear I put on, I used that. The nice thing about the yellow motor mount, it has a notch for some reason at the 6 o'clock position on the mount....the white LED fits neatly in there. Have it taped now, may glue it in later

I made a crude cam mount with the old langing gear and a spare battery tray.
Not perfect, but it pops right in the old landing gear slot.

flutterby082812 (6 min 40 sec)

switched to a black prop, the distortion is mostly gone. (will be in next video, still processing it)

My battery life sucks! 1100 mah parkzones only yield 6-7 minutes, a turnigy 1500 mah 8-9 minutes, and I'm flying 1/2 throttle or less, 98% of the time.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Mar 2012
47 Posts
fb082912e (6 min 1 sec)

Ok, the video after I switched to a black prop. It looks like I have the camera pointed too far down, will bend the mount to bring it up a bit.

May be the end of my flying for a while, raining now, and back to work soon.

Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:32 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
The JR Indoor is scheduled, look for ads in the RC magazines.

There is a dispute on the renewal fees for the website and that should be resolved soon from what Terry Nitsch said.

So those of you who want to fly indoors, in a large golf dome, just off the interstate in November, set the first weekend aside.

So fit those Flutter-Bys with floats so you can take off a lake indoors.

Should be a good weekend.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:37 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
One more thing to add to this thread.

My bride is making me a banner to hang up when I go flying, you know, those banners that have fall, spring, flowers, Charlie Brown, Snoopy and other stuff on that people hang all the time, well my banner will have Conehead on it, of course there will be sky, clouds and sun and then she plans to add a Flutter-By on it. I talked to Jack tonight and he will send me some scraps of cloth so that the Flutter-By on the banner will be the same as what the Flutter-By is made of.

Now I wish I had a picture to post, but the banner is in process, it will also have a Cone on it, one that looks like the plastic cones at full scale airports.

So I will have it all, a Cone, Flutter-By, sun, clouds, grass, all on a banner so that when I go to an air show, my banner will go up, no one will have anything like mine.

I am so lucky.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:51 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
So I will have it all, a Cone, Flutter-By, sun, clouds, grass, all on a banner so that when I go to an air show, my banner will go up, no one will have anything like mine.

I am so lucky.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Give it a couple of months Orrin and I'm sure Hobby King will have them... just like yours but cheaper.
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP