HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2010, 01:00 AM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Flutter-By Karma

I'm not sure my words will do justice to the wonderful event that I was fortunate to be a part of this evening.............but I wanted to share it in hopes that others might also get a charge out of it.

It's Memorial Day, right? Lots of reasons to be thankful and appreciative. Maybe you, like me, went to a cemetery and visited a loved one. Maybe you called on a Serviceman (or Woman) and told them you appreciated what they've done for all of us. Maybe you reflected on friends who have family members who are ill and spent a few moments sending some good thoughts their way. And, if you're lucky, maybe there was a cookout and a gathering of friends and family.

Well I am one of the really lucky ones. This afternoon, I took my Flutter-By with me to a family and friends Graduation Celebration out in the country. I enjoyed unpacking the cooler and the lawn chairs and the Flutter-By. And I especially enjoyed it when an older gentlemen approached and struck up a conversation about his love of flying RC airplanes.

So, we sat down together and started hanger flying. I learned that he - like me - started flying when he was already into his 50's. But he has a couple of decades on me, so I listened and learned about many fascinating things that he has done in his flying career and the veritable treasure trove of airplanes and artifacts that he has collected over his flying career. I heard stories of people that are legend to our hobby and of flights and equipment that happened quite awhile ago. And I learned that this gentleman was in large measure responsible for the club that I am a part of today.

And then I learned that his flying days are over. They ended 15 years ago when he started to lose his ability to confidently see the airplane and "lock in" on exactly what it is doing. When he became convinced that his eyes were bad enough that he was compromising the safety of those who were around him, he stopped flying. That was 15 years ago. Hasn't taken a plane up since. Still loves the airplanes, though, and you could tell that he was enjoying recalling the fun he used to have flying.

Well, since the only thing better than "hanger flying" is actual flying, I picked up the Flutter-By and off we went. We didn't have to go very far, just to an area away from where the younger kids were throwing a football around, and where the women were looking at the flowers. The older gentlemen took note of a few obstructions and cautioned me to take note of the people behind us.

I tossed the Flutter-By in the air and off it went. First, some gentle carving turns, then a couple loops, followed by my best hovers ever, then I punched it and went screaming straight skyward, chopping the throttle at about 150 feet followed by a very leisurely dead-stick return to a landing at our feet. I'm a novice pilot, but I was flying well and it was important to me to do so as the gentlemen who was watching was an accomplished flyer in his day.

I was thrilled when he commented that the Flutter-By was an "impressive plane"; and I was even more thrilled when he said that he'd been able to see it well throughout the flight I had just flown. Perfect. Another toss in the air and 50 feet later, with the Flutter-By flying hands off straight, level, and slow, I handed him the transmitter.

I'm not sure what I expected to happen next. Perhaps he'd just lazy it around the sky close in where he could see it well. Maybe he'd attempt a few more aggressive maneuvers and then lose it and pile it in. No matter, the fun of watching him re-discover the thrill of flight after 15 years was pure magic for me. He was welcome to do whatever he wanted with the plane.

What he did do was to perform, aggresively, a series of inside and outside loops, Immelmans, Inverted flight, Dives and Spins. He flew it with complete control and confidence. I was in awe that 15 years of rust fell off in no time whatsover. And I was a bit surprised when he announced that he was ready for me to take the plane back. Perhaps his eyes were still a bit out of shape. Or maybe his eyes, like mine, were tearing up just a bit. Priceless.

I made a new friend today. And, thanks to the Flutter-By, my new friend re-discovered an old friend - "Flying"!

Thank you, Jack Frost, for the incredible Flutter-By, and for all the fun I'm having with it. I hope your Memorial Day was as memorable as mine!
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2010, 02:56 AM
Joined May 2010
80 Posts
Thank you Bob.....for making my eyes tear up a little. What an emotional paycheck! I'd love to meet the gentleman you went flying with today...let's see if we can make that happen.

Semper Fi

Jack
Flutter-By is offline Find More Posts by Flutter-By
Old Jun 01, 2010, 02:23 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Wow that's an awesome story

Anyone interested in starting a fund to buy a Flutter By for that gentleman so he can continue to enjoy flying? I'll contribute some for sure.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Jun 01, 2010, 07:14 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
Wow that's an awesome story

Anyone interested in starting a fund to buy a Flutter By for that gentleman so he can continue to enjoy flying? I'll contribute some for sure.
I'm in for $10. Man up guys lets do it!
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
Old Jun 01, 2010, 08:25 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
I'll match the $10. I'd like to do more but my current situation is not good.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:29 PM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,412 Posts
Great story and nice of you to make his day.

Reflecting on Memorial Day, both Jack and I are veterans. Jack was in the Marines and I was in the Army.

I am glad everyone appreciates the review. It sure is a fun aircraft.
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:41 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
What do we do, send money to someone to hold so Jack can build him a Flutter-By??
Great story Bob. Really tugs at the heart strings and brings tears to your eyes.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:05 PM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Flutter-By-a-thon

I've always said that Aviation People are some of the best people around.
Wrathchild's generous gesture and call for action, along with 325FGP's quick endorsement is proof enough of that!

I should "disclose" that I know nothing about the Gentlemen's financial condition - all I know is that it was incredibly cool to watch him connect again with something he clearly loved.

So - I'm in for 50 bucks - and we'll see where this goes. If it catches on, we'll have taken one of the Grand Gentlemen of our hobby and pulled him off the bench and put him back in the game. On the other hand, if nothing comes of this, nobody need worry, I'll be offering to let him fly mine every time we get together!
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:39 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
Any idea what color would be best for him to see? You know some colors are easier to see than others. I know Bob's is Purple, I got a Tan and Red one. Red stands out in most light
It looks like we got almost a third of what one would cost. If you need a Flutter-By in a hurry, I got a red one, it is in the pictures I posted that I could loan out until you get a color he could see well.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred

I can spare $20 bucks.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Jun 01, 2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added thought
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:47 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Bob,

What a wonderful story! There's nothing better than seeing someone "Get in the Blue" with an R/C plane, and in my opinion there is no better plane to do it with than a Flutter-By.

Count me in for $25.00 guys... just let me know where to send it!
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:43 PM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Colors!

Wow, this just keeps getting better and better! Jack, Conehead makes a great point about some colors being easier to see than others - if you have some fabric scraps, send them on to me and I will (discreetly) find out which color he locks onto the best.

By my tally, we're already at 39% of goal!

Orrin, thanks for the offer of the Loaner...............stay tuned and I'll let you know!

Bob
Old Jun 02, 2010, 06:34 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
colors more

The only reason I mentioned colors is that when I fly my Combat one, I don't lose orientation of it now, early on I did a couple of times, but other guys who watch me fly it, lose orientation all the time and they comment that they can't tell if it is coming or going. Now this is with lights on it. So that is why I ask which colors would be better. I think many of us know as our eyes get old, well mine anyway, the rest of you are all a lot younger than me, I see many things, some I see better than others. So what color the Flutter-By is will make some difference, at least that is what I think. I am a minority of one for sure.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Go back and check the pictures, Red stands out a lot.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jun 02, 2010, 07:27 AM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
I would think that red or fluorescent orange would stand out the most against average skies.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 01:19 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,151 Posts
Where do you buy this and how much?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 02, 2010, 01:54 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter-By View Post
Just a reminder...this thread is the result of a review of the Flutter-By done by Doctor Who at the beginning of this thread....if you have questions about the airplane please refer to the review first. If you still have questions then email me at: jefsquared@gmail.com

Thanks,

Jack
Contact Jack Frost at the address above.
He will give you all the details.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Be sure to read the review first. Dr. Who gives lots of info and the video of the Flutter-By is great. I didn't know you could do what Jack does with that plane. Amazing. I have never tried to do what he does.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Jun 02, 2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: added thinking, I forgot to remember