HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
I was going to get some video today from my Red Flutter-By, but, and this is a real but, we had a dusting of snow, then wind, and for most of the day, enough snow and wind that you couldn't see across the lake. The sky and lake met, you couldn't see the horizon and I was sure I would lose it in the sky somewhere.

Anyway, we got about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of snow, not much really, downstate got a lot more and I am happy, no snowblowing today.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred

Yeah, I saw that you guys were expecting a little snow. Luckily you didn't get as much as the folks in Connecticut! We've been under severe thunderstorm and tornado watches almost all day. The watches all expired at 8:00 p.m. and we were blessed not to have any real bad stuff here. Anyway, the wind was strong enough that I kept the Flutter-By flock in the hangar today!

Keith
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
By now I thought someone, at least one of the Flutter-By owners would have posted a photo of all the Flutter-Bys and their owners on this thread. I guess everyone was so busy keeping Bob awake and flying that no one thought about taking or posting a photo.

Skyjet did have a great video of the whole place, at least he got a video.

Oh well, I guess you had to be there, which I couldn't.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred

It was nice early on this morning, but today the wind came up, it was cold. Tomorrow the wind looks much better, so it will be to the hanger to get the Red Flutter-By. I used to be able to keep them in the house, but with three new kittens, that is impossible.

Lets see some video Bob of your sunset flying. I know you forgot the camera.!!
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:10 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Got a chance to fly, late this afternoon, Photos later.

Light wind.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Won't get photos tonight, my photo editor is taking the night off.

I must say that Red Flutter-By looks so good up here on the frozen lake. Stands out so nice. We had a little breeze from the South, so as I came into the wind, the Flutter-By just sort of sat there in the air. I was up for about 5 minutes and then went to another airframe since I wanted to get a flight in on it. Well by the time I was done, my hands were very cold.
I didn't wear gloves, can't feel the sticks well with them. So I put both planes away and now I have to charge batteries.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:39 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Pictures will be coming soon. Editor is doing a great job.

She did a great job.

No video though, don't have a video camera.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:09 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Some Photos of My Red Flutter-By

Thanks to my Bride Susan for the photos and editing of all of them.
Ok Flutter-By owners, here are a few shots of my Red Flutter-By yesterday. My fingers were cold when I was done flying. The Flutter-By looked great here in the North Country on the frozen lake. We have had a mild winter, not a lot of snow. Today we had winds of 22 mph with gusts to 40 mph. No flying outdoors today for sure.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred

Thanks a bunch Jack, great plane.!!! Looks great in the North Country. Now if I could get Christoph to fly with me in the Winter. He is down south somewhere.

Thanks also to Susan, my photographer and editor.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Feb 29, 2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added a couple of thoughts, brain problem, didn't work the first time engaged.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:55 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
586 Posts
Very nice work! I may have to get one of those. Not the Flutter-By, I have one already. I mean the film editor.

Thanks to Jack my plane is whole again. It has a new prosthetic tail to replace the one that was broken at E-Fest. I may have the only multi colored Flutter-By, not counting the Combat version.

If he only had a spare red rudder I could have a Tuskegee tribute plane.
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:22 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
This one has been repaired by Jack for me.

Jack is the master of rebuilding Flutter-Bys.

Jack's skills still amaze me. So efficient, so well thought out. Oh to have half of them.
His workshop is great.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred

ps, the photo editor is expensive, very expensive. I could have a whole fleet of Flutter-Bys, like 30 or 40 of them for what the photo editor costs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:31 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Excellent photos Orrin! Your editor did wonderful work. Although I am not a Flutter-By owner (yet) I can spot a well designed and built airplane. Can't wait to get mine.

Thanks for sharing those photos with us. I know it must have taken a long time to upload them.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:47 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Since RC Groups changed it way you can upload photos, it is much faster. There is one place where you can upload just a few photos, or you can go to another place, upload a bunch and that one is what I used. You just go to the photo file you want, click on the files you want to upload, then hit the upload button and in about 10 minutes or less, you are done. Now if you want to add words to each photo, like I did in a few of them, you can, if you want to do that to all the photos, it will take a long time. RC Groups has made it much easier to upload a bunch of photos. High speed internet makes it great also.

The work comes from running them through gimp, by the way it is a free download, as good as if not better than Photoshop, which you can help the photo. Adjust color, crop, and other stuff.

This Flutter-By stands out in the snow very well. We have had a mild winter, not much snow, in fact the lake wasn't frozen over until late January, usually it is early December, and so I had to make sure it was safe to hold me. We had ice fishermen the other day, so I know it is thick enough. Along the shore it is melting a lot, so you have to be careful getting out and getting back to land.

It is fun to fly on the lake in the winter, you have this huge airfield. It is hard, you don't have to drive to the flying field, you do have to stay away from shore, since it is tree lined, and you don't want any Flutter-By in a tree. Not good on the airframe.
(although Bob likes to fly through carports and has experienced a controlled crash into one, which I believe Jack repaired his Flutter-By for Bob.)

It is neat to be able to fly low over the ice and the color of this Flutter-By stands out really neat.

Thanks for the comments, Susan will appreciate it. She sure has gotten a lot better with her new camera.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Mar 01, 2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added a few thoughts, brain was on vacation.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:00 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
I posted my photos of both this plane, Flutter-By and my Super Cub on my Facebook account. I got some rather interesting comments about the Flutter-By.

I knew it was a winner when I bought it at E-Fest. One neat airplane.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Great photo's, Orrin - Beautiful scenery. I think it's time to change your avatar. I recommend the photo entitled "The Conehead and his Flutter-By". That is a great shot!

Keith
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:10 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Thanks for the idea Keith.

I think that is a good idea.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:37 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
I did it.

I kept the Flutter-Duck up so people could see what a great design Jack had made. I pestered him for a couple of years to build me one. He did a great job.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Orrin, try the photo 3 rows down from the one you used - the one all the way to the left. I like the way the depth of field worked out with the Flutter-By in the foreground, and you visible behind it. That is a great photo!

Keith