HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2010, 06:17 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,035 Posts
I did some "shopping" last night, on the net of course and checked prices of some very nice planes. I went to Horizon since I like their products very well and Tower. All these figures are without a transmitter, plane, battery, rec and you are ready to fly. A Parkzone T-28 will run about $280 with everything but the radio. The T-28D will run about $295 with everything, and the Corsair will run $295. I have a Seawind from Tower, it ran over $300 and all of these are foam and it doesn't take much to destroy them. I have had to put a new wing on my Seawind and it will be back in the air in a few days. My Flutter-By ran me the cost of the plane plus the rec, I think I had a TP 1320 battery, or something close, so my total investment has been about $350 or there about. I now buy batteries based on what will work with other planes, so that I don't have 2 or 3 of this size, 2 or 3 of that size and so forth. Now that was 5 years ago, the only other plane I have that has lasted that long is the Lightflite Bug, $200 ready to fly, I had to build it.
I have flown my Flutter-By all over. I take it to tracking tests, which I judge for AKC, fly in the motel parking lots late in the evening and after dark, they are lit up, no traffic, quiet, can take off and land in a short place, will fly in the wind without much trouble, don't need a acre to fly in and I have my fun with me all the time. I don't take the Bug, I take my Flutter-By since it is all purpose. I have rubber bands with me since mine is one of the older versions, I just haven't drilled the holes and installed wire ties to hold the wing on.
I have no idea how many flights I have on this plane. E-Fest, JR Indoor, if I could get to KIEF I would, when I go to SEFF I will have my Flutter-By with me. Sometimes more than one Flutter-By.
Yes they are "expensive" yet for the amount of money and the enjoyment I have gotten, all the comments from my flying buddies, (lots of harassment) the Flutter-By for me has been worth the price. I worked a long time last year to get my Duck. It too is a conversation piece.
Unique is always in style, in my opinion. So yes they are a tad expensive, yet you know when you get your Flutter-By, it has been flown, it will fly and all you have to do is learn to explore the flight envelope of the Flutter-By.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; May 26, 2010 at 06:21 AM. Reason: thought added, left it out.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2010, 07:00 AM
Servos can't have all the fun!
Athens, Alabama
Joined Jun 2005
1,117 Posts
Conehead,

I will be looking for your Flutter-By at SEFF next year. It is a great event. http://www.rcgroups.com/seff-402/

I flew my Cob Web there last year.

MB6
Moonbeam Six is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam Six
Old May 26, 2010, 09:03 AM
Joined Dec 2007
28 Posts
I have looked all over the place, a couple of months back, when I saw a small picture of these at an indoor event in some magazine, but I couldn't find any info about them.
As far as the price goes, a mans time is worth something. These things are one offs and it takes time to build, there not built in sweat shops overseas, and I'm sure the quality will more than offset the cost.
Dewane is offline Find More Posts by Dewane
Old May 26, 2010, 10:09 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,035 Posts
I guess I should have put a Flutter-By in my avatar years ago.
I wanted to start a thread about them, yet I like the fact that Dr. Who did the review and now we all can see what kind of plane this is.
Yes they are one of a kind, each one is hand crafted.
What does a mechanic get per hour? I know my buddy had his bulldozer repaired. $75 an hour. Now he charges $70 an hour to work on hoists. After 5 years of flying one, well it is the best money spent so far. I have bought a lot of duds so far, I thought they would be great, well, not true.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old May 26, 2010, 11:09 AM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
I put an order in for one today, so hopefully in a few weeks I'll have a report back with some video Anyone in the Charlotte, NC area that wants to give it a try let me know and we'll get together too!
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old May 26, 2010, 02:17 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
I put an order in for one today, so hopefully in a few weeks I'll have a report back with some video Anyone in the Charlotte, NC area that wants to give it a try let me know and we'll get together too!
While at E-Fest 2009, I met a fellow from the Charlotte, NC area that was very interested in my Flutter-By. The designer/builder happened to be at E-Fest as well, so I introduced the two of them. It's my understanding the fellow actually paid to have one custom built and shipped to him prior to leaving Champaign. He was very impressed with what he saw of the Flutter-By at E-Fest. I'm certain he hasn't been disappointed since receiving it!

It really makes a difference when folks get to see the quality and workmanship of these planes first-hand. I don't know of any other planes like them.
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old May 26, 2010, 06:21 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtColBryan View Post
While at E-Fest 2009, I met a fellow from the Charlotte, NC area that was very interested in my Flutter-By. The designer/builder happened to be at E-Fest as well, so I introduced the two of them. It's my understanding the fellow actually paid to have one custom built and shipped to him prior to leaving Champaign. He was very impressed with what he saw of the Flutter-By at E-Fest. I'm certain he hasn't been disappointed since receiving it!

It really makes a difference when folks get to see the quality and workmanship of these planes first-hand. I don't know of any other planes like them.
Hmm I wonder who that was, I've flown at most of the club fields in the area. I know of one person immediately that I plan to show this plane to when I get it because I know it's right up his alley. I'm pretty sure I can sell at least one or two of these to the people I fly with
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old May 26, 2010, 06:54 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Scott Bland from NC is a Flutter-By owner...I think from Charlotte.
Flutter-By is offline Find More Posts by Flutter-By
Old May 26, 2010, 07:36 PM
2xSalto my kid flies too!
USA, WI, Stoughton
Joined Jun 2000
300 Posts
fond memories of the flutter by

Its been several years since I attended E-fest and tested out the Flutter by. This plane was amazing, especially in a high alfa hover. I really enjoyed it The price will self select buyers but the plane is worth every nickle.
rcgreaves is offline Find More Posts by rcgreaves
Old May 26, 2010, 08:24 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
560 Posts
I was lucky enough to have been present at the taping of the video and this is indeed a wonderful flying airplane. The video doesn't quite capture how well this plane performs. The intial climb out looked like a glider on a hi-start. Virtually straight up for a couple hundred feet. That doesn't sound "underpowered" to me.

One thing to remember when comparing the cost of thie Flutter-by to other planes is that if you bobble with those other planes you usually end up with a pile of foam and/or balsa. I suspect that the Flutter-by would dust itself off and ask for another battery.

Oh, and according to the designer the Vapor is a mini sized imitation of a Flutter-by.
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
Old May 26, 2010, 09:33 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
Hmm I wonder who that was, I've flown at most of the club fields in the area. I know of one person immediately that I plan to show this plane to when I get it because I know it's right up his alley. I'm pretty sure I can sell at least one or two of these to the people I fly with
Flutter-By has indicated the name of the person in Charlotte that purchased one of the Flutter-By's. If you don't recognize his name, I located a photo of him on RCGroups 2009 E-Fest coverage. He is seen examining the Flutter-By's on display during the event. I am attempting to attach a copy of the photograph.
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old May 27, 2010, 03:43 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
To all previous and potential Flutter-By customers....my new email address is jefsquared@gmail.com.

Sorry for any confusion....sometimes life just does funny stuff!
Old May 27, 2010, 04:39 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,359 Posts
Why are these so exspensive?
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old May 27, 2010, 04:50 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,035 Posts
Hand crafted, one man, Jack makes each one, flies each one. I don't think $295 is all that much. I have over that in a Great Planes Seawind float plane. Just about every plane I own is close to $300 each.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
When you care enough to buy the very best!, oh wait that is Halmark. Well that fits this plane for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old May 27, 2010, 09:06 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Just finished taking pictures and video of a Flutter-By with lights installed...it wasn't quite dark but the video camera has a hard time with focus when it gets much darker! Isn't it amazing how much better ours eyes are than cameras?

My light system choice is the ACC256 Micro Lighting System from (MPI) MAXX PRODUCTS INTERNATIONAL, INC. Their system includes a light controller that allows you to adjust the frequency and duration of the white strobing LED's mounted on the main landing gear. This is especially important when more than one Flutter-By is in the air....everyone can "personalize" their flashing LED's so that they can tell their plane from all others!

Hope to have the pictures and video up soon.....

Fly lo, fly slo, fly mo...fly Flutter-By!