HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:07 PM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Wow..........Magnumb, you've had a winters worth! Glad to hear from you. You are "correct" to remember the soothing and therapeutic effects of Flutter-By flying. Today was a pretty good day in Illinois, with temps in the mid-20's and almost dead-calm wind. Wow, doesn't happen very often - I flew all afternoon at the field with no gloves on and was comfortable. And I observed a neat thing - when you fly the Flultter-By in the winter in calm winds, it puts you in mind of "better times" in the summer. So you are absolutely right to look forward to flying your Flutter-By......it will not only make you feel good just to do it, but it will also get all those "summer endorphins" moving around in your system.

And as to why us older guys don't "warn you" about those things that come with your age and family demographic? Simple.............it isn't going to help! Just go ahead and tough it out the way the rest of us did and know that you'll get through it and, really, it isn't that bad.

Be sure to post something when you get back up, OK? Good Luck!
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:12 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Welcome back, Magnumb... we were getting worried about you! Glad to hear that other than life's normal "glitches" you're doing okay. We feel your pain, because as the old saying goes, "Been there, done that - got the t-shirt!" You'll make it too! Take care, and yell at us when you can!

Guys, Eastern NC has gone crazy! 5 1/2" inches of snow again - it snowed all night Sunday night, and until about 3:30 p.m. Monday. The crazy thing is, according to Jack, as of Monday evening we have actually had more snow on the coast of NC than they have in Indiana! So is this the same "Global Warming" they have been talking about for several years?

Anyway, we may have had snow for the second time this year, but for the second time this year I flew Flutter-Bys in the snow! I've never been able to do that before!
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:05 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
You all down south have gotten more than me here in Michigan in a week. We got 2 inches the other day, another inch here and there, and right now all we really got is wind, lots of wind.

Glad we got Magnumb back. I sent him a pm and he never answered. Oh well.
Only a few more weeks to E-Fest. I get a chance to see some friends, fly a Flutter-By. I am installing lights on my big Red one.
I did fly off the lake, lots of snow there. about a couple inches thick.
Seems the great storms are hitting all around us. I see Bob's state has just hosed him good. 66% increase in income tax. Time to Move Bob.
Off to order some parts. Need a motor and speed control. Not for the Flutter-By. other airframe.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred

check out my post on this thread. A few pictures of flying on the lake. Not the Flutter-By.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...068138&page=49
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Jan 13, 2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: added link.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Good to hear from you, Orrin, but I need to tell you that bglasa (Northerner)educated me (Southerner) on proper Southern English last September. It's obvious from your post that he hasn't gotten around to you yet, so I'll do it for him.

According to bglasa the plural of "Y'all" is "All y'all." So it would be proper (and accurate) to say, "All y'all down South really got hammered with snow since Christmas!"

Whom else but bglasa would have known about stuff like that?

I'm trying like crazy to make the 24 hour round-trip to E-Fest happen. I've been on the phone with Jack and Bob looking all all the different angles. I'm sure hoping to be able to pull it off... keep your fingers crossed! If so, I hope to see you there.
Last edited by LtColBryan; Jan 13, 2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: add text
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:28 PM
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
With Flutter-Bys in hand!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:39 PM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Stuck in the Middle

My FlutterBy Buddies have just nailed my "problem"........... I'm stuck in the middle between Michigan and North Carolina! (Technically, I realize that Illinois is not exactly in the middle between Michigan and NC, but hey, cut me a little slack.............we've got plenty-o-problems in this state other than our Geography)

I love Michigan. Used to live in Muskegon. Great Golf Courses, Plenty of Water Activities, and Lots of Nice People.............just like Conehead!

And North Carolina? Wow, Super Scenic with Lots do Do and a lot of variety in Geography, Activities, and People If any of All Y'all ain't been there yet, you need to go.

Illinois? Gimme a break. Remember, Illinois is the state where our Governors MAKE our License Plates!

So what does all this have to do with Flutter-Bys? Well, Illinois is home to at least 4 FlutterBy Fliers that I know of (and soon to be one more) which makes Illinois a Fantastic place to be! I like to think of Illinois as home to an elite group of discerning pilots flying the most well-engineered and constructed plane available on the market. So all that other stuff - like a personal state income tax rate of 7% really doesn't matter. Besides, when all the jobs disappear, we'll all have more time to fly.

And speaking of Flying FlutterBy's.............E-fest is shaping up to be something pretty special this year! FlutterBy fliers from around the country converging on my home town. How cool is that?

And for All Y'all driving in to E-fest...................just don't let those new toll booths set up at all the state lines bother you. Just do what the natives do: Pay Up, Shut Up, and Have a Good Time!
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:27 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
You have to remember what is under the Flutter-Duck. I was born in Ohio, so I am a Buckeye. You know what they are! Worthless Nuts. Hogs won't eat them, squirrels don't eat them, the only good Buckeyes are the one's made from Chocolate and Peanut Butter.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred

Bob has that southern drawl down pat. He never educated me, cause I am a slow learner.

Guess I better get those lights on quick and test fly it out on the lake. Snowmobile race Saturday.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Jan 13, 2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: added thought
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:26 AM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
You have to remember what is under the Flutter-Duck. I was born in Ohio, so I am a Buckeye. You know what they are! Worthless Nuts. Hogs won't eat them, squirrels don't eat them, the only good Buckeyes are the one's made from Chocolate and Peanut Butter.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Buckeyes make good slingshot ammo though. Hurts like h*** getting hit by one though.
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:25 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
Ouch!!!

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:54 PM
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Unless the Lord sees fit to keep me away with a snow storm, or some other unforseen event, Eastern NC will be represented at E-Fest after all! I didn't think it was going to happen, but thankfully the stars have all aligned.

Thanks to a friend from Columbus that recently lived here for a couple years, I was able to try the chocolate and peanut butter buckeyes... they were very good. As for the real buckeyes, he always kept some close by when Ohio State had a game going on. I believe he even had a necklace made from real buckeyes.

Ok fellow Flutter-By owners... start packin' the Flutter-Bys and prepare to converge on bglasa's hometown of Champaign. I am SO looking forward to being there again for another great time of fun and fellowship!

Bob, I'll tell you like I've told Jack... any time you guys get tired of the snow out West, you are welcome to move to the coast of NC. The only problem is, as we say in the South, "You'd be jumpin' from the fat into the fire!" Seems we may have had more snow than you guys, huh? I've got a feeling that is about to change!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:15 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
Have all you Flutter-By owners checked the pilot list for E-Fest? I did. Going to be a bunch of Flutter-Bys there.
Back from the snowmobile race today. Cold, friggin cold, wind, 15-20 mph and it was about 20 degrees and snow, off and on all day long. I am now thawed out.
I will be staying at the MicoTel, it is a bit away from the rest, but there is a Sonic on the way to the Armory.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:21 AM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtColBryan View Post
Bob, I'll tell you like I've told Jack... any time you guys get tired of the snow out West, you are welcome to move to the coast of NC. The only problem is, as we say in the South, "You'd be jumpin' from the fat into the fire!" Seems we may have had more snow than you guys, huh? I've got a feeling that is about to change!
Just make sure to stay away from Court St. unless things have changed drastically.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:40 AM
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325FGP View Post
Just make sure to stay away from Court St. unless things have changed drastically.
325FGP, I take great pleasure in informing you that the infamous Court Street which you obviously knew of, no longer exists. The buildings that were home to most of the clubs and nightspots have either been torn down or remodeled for use as offices. There are two restaurants, a craft store and several other shops along Court Street now.

A group called B.O.L.D. (Bettering Our Local Downtown) formed several years ago and set their sights set on cleaning up the mess on the Court Street you remember. It's been a slow, drawn-out process, but progress has been made. The one thing we are desparately in need of is a hobby store - one that sells Flutter-Bys!

By the way 325FGP, I purchased an item at Saigon Sams (another J'Ville icon) Friday that came from Anderson, IN. It was a ballistic nylon cell phone case by Raine, Inc., Madison Ave., Anderson, IN. I didn't notice the company info until I arrived home. I smiled when I saw it, and said," I've been there!

Gettin' ready for a Flutter-By festival at E-Fest, guys! It won't be long now!
Last edited by LtColBryan; Jan 16, 2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: add text
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:26 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
584 Posts
Quote:
325FGP, I take great pleasure in informing you that the infamous Court Street which you obviously knew of, no longer exists. The buildings that were home to most of the clubs and nightspots have either been torn down or remodeled for use as offices. There are two restaurants, a craft store and several other shops along Court Street now.
Glad to hear that! I know when I went to orientation my first day we were warned away from there.

Quote:
A group called B.O.L.D. (Bettering Our Local Downtown) formed several years ago and set their sights set on cleaning up the mess on the Court Street you remember. It's been a slow, drawn-out process, but progress has been made. The one thing we are desparately in need of is a hobby store - one that sells Flutter-Bys!

Back in the day the hobby shop of choice was RonCor (I think that's the name). I used to hang out there a lot, spent tons of money playing a video game with a buddy. Ahh the good ol' days.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:30 PM
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325FGP View Post
Glad to hear that! I know when I went to orientation my first day we were warned away from there.

I bet you were warned about "Second Front" on Hwy 17 across from Camp Geiger as well! Second Front is also history!

Back in the day the hobby shop of choice was RonCor (I think that's the name). I used to hang out there a lot, spent tons of money playing a video game with a buddy. Ahh the good ol' days.
You are absolutely correct, it was Ron-Cor Hobby Store, located in the New River Shopping Center. Ron-Cor went out of business approximately 15 years ago.

In the 60's they had HUGE slot car tracks in the back section of the store. I saved up my money and bought a scale car that I could run on the track. Two weeks after picking up my car, they took the tracks out of the store.

I then saved up my money and bought my first glow fuel airplane from Ron-Cor - a Cox control line P-40 Warhawk. The airplane lasted about as long as my slot car experience - that time it was my fault!

325FGP, are you going to E-Fest? If so, get up with me when you get there, as I would like to meet you. If you see Jack or a "gaggle" of Flutter-Bys, I'll be close by.