HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:12 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
272 Posts
Today was totally opposite from yesterday - no wind at all. I took the Mini Flutter-By up for a 20 minute flight... it was just like flying indoors.

It's back to work tomorrow and it will be dark when I get home each evening. Night flights with the Flutter-By's for the next five days! Life is good!
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:03 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
Oh my gosh, I posted some photos on the JR Indoor Festival thread, but I forgot to post any here of the Flutter-By. As I said, I flew them all. Lights coming for the Red one, hard to see indoors, the dark blue wall just sucks the light out of the air. Couldn't get any airborne photos, can't fly and take pictures at the same time, at least I can't.
I sure do love my Flutter-By's. They fly so well indoors and I had a lot of fun with them.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:51 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
588 Posts
Congrats on the award! All the hard work you and others put in made the JR a joy to attend. Hope to see you there again next year.
325FGP is online now Find More Posts by 325FGP
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:14 AM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Special Recognition

Congratulations, Conehead!

Good thing I know you.............that way I can safely presume that you received your award for your "good works". If I had to judge just by looking at the pictures you posted, I'd guess that your special award was for "Best Nap"!

Nice going.
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:59 AM
Joined Feb 2005
272 Posts
Orrin... I noticed that when you go flying, you take plenty of food, plenty to drink and plenty of Flutter-By's... you're our kind of pilot!

Congratulations on your award! Oh, and don't let BGlasa get to you. When I'm in Indiana, and he comes by to spend a few days with Flutter-By and me, we usually have to beat on his motor home to wake him up, to keep from missing out on breakfast! Hmmm... based on his theory, maybe we could get him some sort of award!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:28 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
I am still amazed that this plaque is sitting on my desk. I am not that great of a pilot. I can get a plane around and have a lot of fun doing it. I love my Flutter-By's and many thanks go to Jack for the design and building of this neat airframe. I can't design a plane, my building skills are somewhat limited at times, I can assemble stuff, but create, not well. I always have admired what Jack can do. His workshop is so great, he works hard to design or improve designs and is one heck of a pilot. He gives back a lot to the sport and what I have been taught is we have to give back to what we enjoy so much. I believe you have to pour water back into the well so that there will be some for the next who come to drink. I love to have fun flying, this hobby has helped me meet new people, I enjoy being around many of the people I have met. Having fun is the important part and since I can't teach people to fly, I don't do many other things well, but I have learned to help out where needed, or where I think I am needed. So I went to Columbus Ohio to work to set up and tear down. I know how much work goes into events, I have planned a few myself here and there, so workers are needed and I felt since I had nothing else to offer, I could work for the fun, to help other have fun and the joy of seeing lots of pilots having a good time, is worth the effort.
Yes, I like to eat. The food at the JR Indoor was fine, I just don't eat out much, so I took stuff to snack on and that worked well.
I took a nap because on Friday morning we had to be at the dome early. Oh dark 30 and before. I got up about 4:30 AM got a shower and headed out. I got to the dome somewhere around 5:15 AM and we were let into the dome about 5:30 AM. They were doing a live feed on one of the local TV stations in Columbus and they needed pilots and planes to be in the air for the early teases and then the live feeds later. So we warmed up some before the first tease, we were flying before 6 AM and then every 15 minutes after that. So at about 9 in the morning, the coffee and such wore off, I conked out and had a nap. You can't fly if you are asleep. So I dozed off. I checked with Terry Nitch about flying my Flutter-By's. He said I was fine, he was worried more about the speed demons than the slow fliers like our Flutter-By's. The Combat one stands out so well indoors. I got lights ordered for the other large one also.
So yes, I enjoy eating, having a lot of fun why flying, showing off the Flutter-By and I love to fly lots of different planes. My mini T-28 got the stab taken off, so parts are on order. I now have 3 of them. I keep coming back to the Flutter-By. I can stay in the air for far longer than most imagine. I even got some floats coming, I hope they will work out, if not, I will use them for another plane.
So yes it was neat to be recognized for the work, but I really didn't do all that much special. Moved tables, unstacked and stacked chairs, helped assemble Spectrum Lake, took it apart also, and picked up lots of foam. Those combat events make lots of pieces.
Bob just likes to tease me, just like the fellows I fly with. He is a hoot.
They were long days, worth every minute in my opinion. There is nothing like the JR Indoor. I will go back next year also. Too many fine people not to go.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
As I have said, I love my Flutter-By's. Thank you Jack, you are a craftsman.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Nov 17, 2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:48 PM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Proof

Anybody still need convincing that FlutterBy Fliers are onto to something pretty special? Of course, the airplane is something special, but look too at the people who fly them.............Conehead, no wonder they gave you a "Special Recognition" award .................. your thoughtfullness of others is pretty special.

(Any you're right...........I do like to tease..............but just my friends)
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
Old Nov 19, 2010, 05:34 PM
Joined Feb 2005
272 Posts
Flutter-by, based on bglasa's latest post, we must be real good friends, huh?

What in the world has happened to our Canadian family member, Magnumb? Are you out there in cyber space, buddy?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 06:54 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtColBryan View Post
Flutter-by, based on bglasa's latest post, we must be real good friends, huh?

What in the world has happened to our Canadian family member, Magnumb? Are you out there in cyber space, buddy?
Probably out trying to get all the flying in he can before the weather gets bad.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 08:38 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
By now there may be ice on the lakes, so he is flying with skies and not floats. I am almost positive. Bet he has some mittens or some form of gloves that the fingers can be exposed for a short time while he tickles the sticks.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
235FGP was one of the many pilots at the JR Indoor and he and Speed2004 were a lot lot of fun to be with and I hope to see them at E-Fest.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2010, 08:20 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
588 Posts
[QUOTE=Conehead;16597925]By now there may be ice on the lakes, so he is flying with skies and not floats. I am almost positive. Bet he has some mittens or some form of gloves that the fingers can be exposed for a short time while he tickles the sticks.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred

So its Indian summer up in Canada now, eh.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:42 PM
Joined Feb 2005
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325FGP View Post
Probably out trying to get all the flying in he can before the weather gets bad.
I bet you're right, 325FGP... we've been fortunate to have had beautiful flying weather all week and weekend... highs in the upper 60's - lower 70's! They are calling for temps in the mid 70's for most of next week... very unusual for November. Perfect weather for Flutter-By flying!

Don't you know Magnumb wishes I could send some of this weather to him? But then again, I feel certain my friends in the Midwest do too!

I have determined from past experience that my Flutter-By's don't care how cold it is. I seem to be the weak link when it comes to the cold.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:24 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
Well it is 33 degrees here on Platte Lake in Northern Michigan, Snow is expected in the UP ( upper peninsula) and we have had wind, lots of wind, a few sprinkles, some snow flakes here, nothing has stuck yet. So I am sure that Magnumb is getting his Flutter-By ready for winter and by now all he needs to do is get those mittens on and get out and fly the wings off of it. ( I think he is putting anti-Freeze in the motor, and making sure he has changed the oil so that it will run better when it is cold)
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:29 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
I know what happened to Magnumb, I bet his computer went south on him and left him in the frozen north!
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:06 PM
Joined Feb 2005
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
I know what happened to Magnumb, I bet his computer went south on him and left him in the frozen north!
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
I sure hope not, Orrin. Hopefully he's having so much fun flying his Flutter-By that he doesn't want to stop long enough to post on this thread!