SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:06 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
A tribute to our newest, most Northern, Flutter-By Family member, that is having a ball with his new plane.

From the Canada Pavillion, Epcot, Walt Disney World, Florida, this is one beautiful song, by an awesome singer - Eva Avila - Enjoy Magnumb.

Keep us posted on your Flutter-By!

Canada You' re a Lifetime Journey Eva Avila (3 min 21 sec)
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Last edited by LtColBryan; Dec 08, 2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: attaching link
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2010, 01:23 AM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtColBryan View Post
A tribute to our newest, most Northern, Flutter-By Family member, that is having a ball with his new plane.

From the Canada Pavillion, Epcot, Walt Disney World, Florida, this is one beautiful song, by an awesome singer. Enjoy Magnumb.

Keep us posted on your
I am touched! I would salute you if I were there in person!

If you where wondering why epcot was in there it's actually a picture of the IMAX theatre from expo 86 in vancouver, it stands to this day. It's landmark on the west coast though far from the most impressive, but that and epcot look almost identical the epcot being the larger of the two by just a bit.

Thanks again, I am honored, I hope we can get more Canucks in here!
Magnumb is offline Find More Posts by Magnumb
Old Nov 04, 2010, 07:52 PM
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
You're very welcome, Magnumb. Thank you for the interesting info. I would love to be able to visit your beautiful country some day.

Well, I have just learned that bglasa is a lucky dog this week-end. He just called and told me he was on the road, headed to Jack's shop for a little R & R. I'm not sure what the first R stands for, but Bob would be real quick to tell us the second one stands for, "Repair!"

No matter what, you can bet one thing... there is going to be some serious Flutter-By flying in Indiana this week-end!
Old Nov 04, 2010, 09:01 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
586 Posts
Quote:
No matter what, you can bet one thing... there is going to be some serious Flutter-By flying in Indiana this week-end!
I'm hoping there might be some serious Flutter By flying in Ohiio this weekend also. Heading out in the morning to JR. Hope to see a couple of you there perhaps.
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
Old Nov 04, 2010, 09:23 PM
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325FGP View Post
I'm hoping there might be some serious Flutter By flying in Ohiio this weekend also. Heading out in the morning to JR. Hope to see a couple of you there perhaps.
Wish I could be there, 325FGP. Had a friend from Columbus visiting Eastern NC last week. He was trying to get me to go back with him. Flutter-By and BGlasa are trying their best to get me to make the 12 hour drive to E-Fest in February... we'll see what happens.

Conehead (Orrin) might just be be at the JR event you're headed to... seems like he mentioned going in an earlier post. Keep your eyes peeled for a "flock" of Flutter-By's... that will be him!

Anyway, hope you have a great time this weekend! Fly some for us!
Last edited by LtColBryan; Nov 04, 2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Adding text
Old Nov 04, 2010, 11:34 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
586 Posts
Conehead is probably already there. We're leaving at 0 dark: 30 to be there about opening time.

You should come up for E-fest, its a good time... just don't pay any attention to the white stuff laying around or the locals will think you're a toorist.
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
Old Nov 05, 2010, 12:44 PM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
Man I would love to join you guys one day.....but that's for another conversation.

Anyhow, I had a misshap at indoor last night. I was hovering the Flutter-by and let it get too far onto it's back and couldn't quite make it out. It was pointed towards the flight line so I wasn't sure that I could make it without hitting people....and in general it was a total brainfart. Not sure how I let it get there but I didn't feed down elevator fast enough before it got upside down....so I just chopped the power and pulled it through......watched it all go down.

Anyhow in the crash the motor mount snapped off, at first I thought the motor mount broke, then I find it's fine so I thought for a sec that I had broken the fuse...which would have been rather catastrophic. As it turns out it was just the motor mount stick. I had thought the motormount was attached directly to the fuse so I thought I was hosed.

As it turns out it's this little stick/crumple zone. The fuse is reinforced where the stick enters it so that won't break, ingenious really. Here I thought I had really messed it up and turns out Jack had me covered. Even when I crash it I am more impressed.

I should note that I totally had forgoten the slowstick had a motor mount stick. Happy days, I think the material that Jack uses makes for a cleaner break....if not mistaken I even think he puts a grove in the stick to ensure it breaks there.

Everything else is mint, including the motormount itself. Though I was surprised to find the motor downthrust was handled by the stick vs the mount. Very custom too. I love it!

Once again Jack, thanks again for thinking everything through!!
Old Nov 05, 2010, 12:54 PM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
Quote:
You're very welcome, Magnumb. Thank you for the interesting info. I would love to be able to visit your beautiful country some day.
I am telling you, you would love it!

Amazing country. I live just 3 hours from the eastern slopes, 2 hours from the foothills on the prairies. I love being so close to the mountains but enjoy Big Sky Country even more. Home to Jasper National Park and Banff National Park, they are alone worth visiting.

Alberta is an amazing province, very diverse, incredible fishing, hunting, flying, exploring and it could be argued the BEST of the Canadian rockies are in Alberta, Kootneys east --> 2 Large cities of just over a million each and one of the busiest economics corridors between Edmonton and Calgary anywhere. Many more people then that in the province, in fact since 2002 the province has grown by more than a Million people. I guess people like the work out here.

If you ever come through I'll buy ya dinner and show you the sites around Edmonton. That goes for all of you salty dogs (that was meant to be endearing)

Cheers
Old Nov 05, 2010, 01:57 PM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,412 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. The Flutter-By is tough. I flew mine in 20 mph winds recently. I had to hand launch it because it was too windy to ROG. Handles the wings quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumb View Post
Man I would love to join you guys one day.....but that's for another conversation.

Anyhow, I had a misshap at indoor last night. I was hovering the Flutter-by and let it get too far onto it's back and couldn't quite make it out. It was pointed towards the flight line so I wasn't sure that I could make it without hitting people....and in general it was a total brainfart. Not sure how I let it get there but I didn't feed down elevator fast enough before it got upside down....so I just chopped the power and pulled it through......watched it all go down.

Anyhow in the crash the motor mount snapped off, at first I thought the motor mount broke, then I find it's fine so I thought for a sec that I had broken the fuse...which would have been rather catastrophic. As it turns out it was just the motor mount stick. I had thought the motormount was attached directly to the fuse so I thought I was hosed.

As it turns out it's this little stick/crumple zone. The fuse is reinforced where the stick enters it so that won't break, ingenious really. Here I thought I had really messed it up and turns out Jack had me covered. Even when I crash it I am more impressed.

I should note that I totally had forgoten the slowstick had a motor mount stick. Happy days, I think the material that Jack uses makes for a cleaner break....if not mistaken I even think he puts a grove in the stick to ensure it breaks there.

Everything else is mint, including the motormount itself. Though I was surprised to find the motor downthrust was handled by the stick vs the mount. Very custom too. I love it!

Once again Jack, thanks again for thinking everything through!!
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:18 PM
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumb View Post
I am telling you, you would love it!

Amazing country. I live just 3 hours from the eastern slopes, 2 hours from the foothills on the prairies. I love being so close to the mountains but enjoy Big Sky Country even more. Home to Jasper National Park and Banff National Park, they are alone worth visiting.

Alberta is an amazing province, very diverse, incredible fishing, hunting, flying, exploring and it could be argued the BEST of the Canadian rockies are in Alberta, Kootneys east --> 2 Large cities of just over a million each and one of the busiest economics corridors between Edmonton and Calgary anywhere. Many more people then that in the province, in fact since 2002 the province has grown by more than a Million people. I guess people like the work out here.

If you ever come through I'll buy ya dinner and show you the sites around Edmonton. That goes for all of you salty dogs (that was meant to be endearing)

Cheers
It sounds awesome. Although I doubt that I'll ever be able to go, I have learned to never say never! Thanks for the invitation!
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:24 PM
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325FGP View Post
Conehead is probably already there. We're leaving at 0 dark: 30 to be there about opening time.

You should come up for E-fest, its a good time... just don't pay any attention to the white stuff laying around or the locals will think you're a toorist.
10-4 on the white stuff. We flatlanders from the Southeast Coast aren't use to seeing much of that. While enroute to E-Fest 2009, I encountered 14 inches of the stuff on the ground as I arrived at Flutter-By's home. He was out on his snow plow at midnight, clearing a path so I could pull into his driveway. Man what a friend!
Old Nov 06, 2010, 11:20 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
I was at the JR Indoor on Friday at 5:30 AM for a good parking space and to fly for the live TV remote from the dome at 6 in the morning. Tomorrow I will post a picture of me and how hard I was working, someone took it today and I like a dufas left the camera in the dome. Hand on forehead, dumb****, dumb****.
Raced today, got knocked out the first round. I made 9 laps, one cut, but there were 3 others who did 8 laps and no cuts, so I didn't more one. Tomorrow are the finals and after that, they pull tickets for one of the T-28's that we raced. So I got a 1 in 4 chance to win.
Then tomorrow afternoon, evening, we tear down the dome and I come back and spend the night with Dave Agee, who let me stay at his house for 4 days, no charge and I then leave for Michigan.
I got 4 sets of lights ordered, two of them for my Super Cubs, one set for my other Bug and I think one set may go on my Red Flutter-By. Lazertoys lights. I like Jack's lights also.
Had a mid-air last night during night flight, I took out a Zagi with my COMBAT Flutter-By. Funny thing, Terry Nitch was standing next to me talking to me about the night flying and this Zagi almost hit me. Terry said, go take him out, I said, not with this Flutter-By, I didn't want to hurt it. I made two more rounds, flying racetrack, and Whack. This Zagi flew up and hit my Flutter-By right behind the wing in the alum fuse. The lights went out on the Zagi, it went into a Death Spiral and bam!!! into the floor it went. Terry said, You took him out just like that. I kept on flying, Terry was amazed, said, you are still flying, You took him out. I flew for about another 4 or 5 minutes and landed, no damage at all. Two fellows came up and said, Great Job, I hate those planes.
So as many have said, the Flutter-By can take it. I have now taken at least 3 or 4 planes out of the air due to mid-airs and all I have to show is one small rip in the fabric. It was patched with tape from the underside.
The Flutter-By rules, flown by The Conehead, Thanks so much Jack,
you did great.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
White stuff, who care, it is just water.
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Nov 08, 2010, 03:54 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,513 Posts
Conehead here is another indoor fly that is fairly close to you in Geneva Ohio. I would be going but I am scheduled to work. http://www.hef-rcexpo.com/
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Nov 08, 2010, 08:09 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
I get two indoor events a year. That is all I am allowed to go to. Money at times gets to be a problem and Geneva is the same distance as Columbus Ohio. Were I working full time, I could swing it.
I now have to save more money for another creation.
I live in Northern Michigan. I am 4-1/2 to 5 hours from Toledo. I am just about 15 to 20 miles from the 45 parallel.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
The Flutter-By rocks. Pictures of me and the flock of Flutter-Bys is on the JR Indoor Festival thread.
Thanks Jack, great plane, I took out a wing, it died after it hit the Combat Flutter-By.
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:41 PM
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Talk about unusual Flutter-By weather on the Crystal Coast of NC!

We had steady winds around 12 mph today, instead of winds that usually gust from 2-15 mph. I was able to able to get in numerous kite-like hovering flights, then come in for several vertical landings. On my last landing, I applied a little more elevator and throttle as I was about to touch down, which allowed me to fly and land backward at touchdown!

I don't usually get to enjoy those sort of winds unless I'm visiting my Flutter-By family members in the Midwest. What a beautiful week-end for flying!

How 'bout it, Magnumb... are you back up and running?