HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2010, 11:56 AM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Email sent, I think I might be trying one of these out

A few comments were made about it flying in more wind than expected.. any specifics on how much wind they can push into without too much of a struggle? What is the approximate full throttle speed also? I know it's a slow flyer but some of the comments make it sound as if it does have decent speed if desired.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2010, 01:41 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,339 Posts
Wow $295.00 isn't this really overpriced? Or am I missing soimething?
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old May 25, 2010, 01:54 PM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
Wow. For $300 I can buy a beautiful 55" 3D Hobby Shop Extra and have some money to spare for a nice receiver.
Laggard is offline Find More Posts by Laggard
Old May 25, 2010, 01:58 PM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post

A few comments were made about it flying in more wind than expected.. any specifics on how much wind they can push into without too much of a struggle? What is the approximate full throttle speed also? I know it's a slow flyer but some of the comments make it sound as if it does have decent speed if desired.
I am not sure about the speed, maybe someone else can comment.

Regarding wind, I have flown mine in 15 mph winds easy.

Jack Frost, the designer, is also a member of RCGroups and I am sure would be happy to answer any questions in this thread as well.
Doctor Who is online now Find More Posts by Doctor Who
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2010, 02:28 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Wow. For $300 I can buy a beautiful 55" 3D Hobby Shop Extra and have some money to spare for a nice receiver.
While I agree that $300 seems a bit pricey, I have to point out that this is basically a Plug n Play setup. Just add receiver and battery and fly.

If you know how I can get a 55" 3DHS with motor, esc, and servos for $300 please do let me know, as I paid that much for my 47" 3DHS Extra
Old May 25, 2010, 03:18 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Quote:

Full throttle speed is around 25mph...
Flutter-By is offline Find More Posts by Flutter-By
Old May 25, 2010, 04:12 PM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,506 Posts
I would like one of these. It may look like a CobWeb (I have 2), but it sure doesn't fly like one. My 'Web's would fold up if you pushed them at all.

I can't see how anyone would think it is underpowered.

I can guarentee that I could'nt build one, sell it for 300, and make money.
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn
Old May 25, 2010, 06:07 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
I'd like to see more videos, and maybe pictures of it being held for a better idea of scale. I think the first impression from looking at it is to think of something like a Vapor, but it's obviously much larger at nearly 4 foot length.
Old May 25, 2010, 06:46 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
266 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to see more videos, and maybe pictures of it being held for a better idea of scale. I think the first impression from looking at it is to think of something like a Vapor, but it's obviously much larger at nearly 4 foot length.
I noticed that one of the photo's used in the review depicts a full size Flutter-By being held by the designer/builder. That should help in giving some idea of the size of the plane.
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old May 25, 2010, 06:49 PM
Joined Feb 2005
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Korn View Post
I would like one of these. It may look like a CobWeb (I have 2), but it sure doesn't fly like one. My 'Web's would fold up if you pushed them at all.

I can't see how anyone would think it is underpowered.

I can guarentee that I could'nt build one, sell it for 300, and make money.
These planes will do full-power inside and outside loops without batting an eye. You would think they were going to bite their own tail off!
Old May 25, 2010, 07:18 PM
Joined Feb 2005
266 Posts
Quote:

As I mentioned in my original post, I have flown these planes from the Midwest to the Southeast. In each instance, I was required to deal with totally different wind conditions. Up until about 5 years ago, I was unable to fly when the wind was blowing more than about 5 miles per hour. I went out to visit the AMA site, and was amazed (and shocked) at how strong the wind was steadily blowing. A friend of mine in Muncie told me that if I didn't learn to fly in the wind, I wouldn't have many opportunities to fly while there. I now fly every minute I can when visiting in Muncie, and don't give it a second thought. I'm confident that I've easily flown in 15-20 mile an hour steady winds while in Indiana.

While flying from the mountain top off the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, I experienced a totally different sort of wind. Not only was the wind blowing steady and strong, but the wind currents were being directed upwards as they contacted the face of the mountain I was flying on. The Flutter-By dealt with these winds without a problem. One other note: If you have never stood at the top of a mountain with smooth flowing sides, and flown an RC plane 100 to 150 feet below you, you cannot believe the totally different perspective it gives you on flying. Imagine the first time flying while watching the plane from "above" for a change. Awesome!

Lastly, I live on the East coast of NC. Unlike the Midwest, our winds don't blow steady... they constantly change in velocity and direction. It is not uncommon here to be under Tornado Watches, Hurricane Warnings, and Winter Storm Warnings... I have flown in them all. Often times we are required to land 180 degrees from the direction we took off from, all due to the wind changing while in flight. The Flutter-By handles all these conditions just as it is built - solid.
Old May 25, 2010, 07:34 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
I'm working on a video of the Flutter-By flying at night....hope to have it up soon!
Flutter-By is offline Find More Posts by Flutter-By
Old May 25, 2010, 08:01 PM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Go Fly One!

It's great to see all the discussion on this versatile airplane. From reading the posts, there are numerous Flutter-By Flyers throughout the midwest including Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan as well as Flutter-Bys on the East coast. My advice? Go find a Flutter-By pilot and take one up..........anybody in Champaign Illinois who wants to check one out can contact me! Even better, contact Jack - he loves to talk all things aviation and he's one of the "best" people you can meet in this hobby!

As far as the poster who wanted to see a bit more "scale"...........here are a couple more pictures..........
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
Old May 25, 2010, 09:12 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
If I had a video camera, I would have posted videos of my flying all my different Flutter-By's. I don't have one that is current. My video camera is almost as old as I am, well just past the Beta version. Not VHS, but newer than that. Old tape. New ones are far better. That will be in the works for next year.
Bob looks cold in those pictures. Love the Purple.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old May 25, 2010, 09:33 PM
Queens, NY
Joined Jul 2008
82 Posts
Realle nice plane/review.
Due to price, this is out of reach for me... ;-)
fm_rc is offline Find More Posts by fm_rc