HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:03 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Magnumb,

Your Flutter-By was delivered more than two hours ago....and you haven't even seen fit to post anything about it?

Oh sure...I suppose you're going to give some feeble excuse like "I had to work" or "I was really busy today" or the old stand-by "The sun was in my eyes"!

You had better get crackin' mister!

Jack
Flutter-By is offline Find More Posts by Flutter-By
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:06 PM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
Lol.....I am humbled!!!

My wife called me and let me know it's in.....darn near skipped the last 2 meetings today, alas I need them more than they need me....so I must show up. But don't worry it's indoor night tonight and I want to make it.

Jack......even if I make it home I won't have time to post anything.......just be gentle in your tongue lashing......you have already made me feel bad enough

I promise, first chance I get, I wil post something!!!

Shoot, not even sure I have time to charge my batts....dang it
Magnumb is offline Find More Posts by Magnumb
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:00 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
You see, Jack speaks, everyone listens, like the old Smith-Barny ad.
Be careful indoors, it is a challenge in a small gym. Big gyms no problem.
Our lights went out yesterday morning about 9AM still no power, I am at my favorite pizza place, oh do I love pizza, and they have WiFi and so now I get the news that Magnumb has his Flutter-By. Oh boy, I am sure he is as happy as kid with a new toy.
Enjoy, we await your response.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:14 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
269 Posts
Congratulations, Magnumb! I'm sure you're going to enjoy your Flutter-By as much as we enjoy ours. The fact that you're the first person to own one in Canada is AWESOME! I bet you won't be the only one for long, when your flying buddies get a chance to check it out!

Enjoy your plane, Magnumb, and welcome to the "Brotherhood of Flutter-By Owners!"
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:05 PM
Joined Jan 2010
88 Posts
Well, this proves it.............Conehead and Lt.Col.Bryan are the "nice ones" in our group! Me, I just can't resist putting the needle in a bit when I think it needs it.

Magnumb, do you really mean to tell me that you spent all this time hanging out waiting for your bird and you NEVER CHARGED ANY BATTERIES???

And what is this noise about flying indoors? Sure, the Flutterby is a GREAT indoor plane, but - as Conehead well knows - some of you folks that hail from the Northern Territories had better get used to flying outdoors in some pretty inclement weather. And don't let anybody tell you the FlutterBy can't handle wind...........check out the windsock in the picture.

Bottom Line: It doesn't matter where you fly it (well, except maybe if you fly it straight into a tree, but that is sort of another story.......and video too if you appreciate a bit of twisted humor) you are going to really love the plane.

I'd plan on calling in sick tomorrow................
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:12 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Sic' em Bob!

Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:15 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
Well I didn't want to needle Magnumb too much. I was going to mention charging batteries ahead of time. Nothing worse than getting to the flying field, indoors or out and not having a charged battery. Better get a couple extras. When I put lights on my Flutter-By, I head to the lake to fly it. It was dark, lake was frozen, snow was coming down and off I went. I think the moon was up some, the yard light was on, so I had a sliver of light to see by. The Flutter-By flew great in the breeze and with the snow, what a sight.
Hope you get your Flutter-By in the air. We need a report, ASAP or as Gibbs might say, Yesterday!!
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
lights came one about an hour ago.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Oct 28, 2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typing and spelling
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:16 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
Show off Bob!! You the man!!!!!!!!
Conehead
Orrin Eldred

Woof, woof, woof, get 'em Bob.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Oct 28, 2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added thought!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:44 PM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
Just flew it......Sweat Mother of Pearl....

More to come when I get home.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:03 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
Guess he likes it, eh!!
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:06 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Looking forward to hearing about it...
Old Oct 29, 2010, 02:54 AM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter-By View Post
Looking forward to hearing about it...
Sorry guys it's been a whirlwind week.

here is my mini review....

1) The packing - Jack, the way you box these is second only to Apple. Nicely done!! I was surprised about the size of the box as well as how well organized it was when I opened it. Jack has literally reinforced the box with wood and glue. I almost feel like I should throw away the plane and fly the box each item is packaged then suspended or affixed in the box to keep it away from other components. Some of the best packing I have seen, Jack you certainly take care when you do this. HIGH MARKS

2) Assembly was quick and straight forward - goes together quick, easy to set up - goes together like it's already been flown - nuff said!

3) Looks - Wow. Simply beautiful. I wasn't prepared for that. but the colors with the lighting kit just make it pop. I got lots of comments about how it looks - people just seem drawn to it - no surprise there

4) Quality - I feel like I just bought a high end BMW - it's been built like someone cared - like someones reputation is on the line. Surprisingly beefy, in a word - perfect. It all just looks perfect. All joints are reinforced, the material is trimmed perfectly and even more impressively the glue job is done REALLY nicely. Flexible glue is used to affix the material to the flying/control surfaces, This I think is one MAJOR reason why this is a crash and dust off kind of plane, the structure flexes, the glue with it, everything is in sync (no not the boy band).

I think what strikes me most is that I really feel like I have something special, and it truly looks WORTH what I paid for it. I had wondered, but now there is no doubt in my mind. Also the sticker on the side saying it was "specially made for [instert my name here] by Jack Frost" was such a nice touch it put it over the top. I hadn't noticed it initially because I hardly had a chance to look at it myself before running down to the indoor flying at a local WW2 Aircraft Hanger. Very cool, in fact one of the other guys noticed it....and was impressed.

5) Flight Qualities - The take-off run was as expected for a long fused tail dragger, just pop the tail up fly it off the deck and let her rip. In wind this would be reduced to a few feet.

In a word - Rails....that's how this plane feels. It's an absolutely correct statement when the original reviewer said it had no bad tendencies. Acceleration to level flight is smooth and brisk to say the least at 1/3 throttle, it turns instantly and unlike many 3 channel planes it doesn't have the tail waging the dog "look" in flight, there is no shimmy when neurtralizing rudder, it just levels and locks in. Point it and it goes there. Control authority is excellent. I didn't know how the plane would fly and I was nervous so I dialed in 40% expo just to give me a chance in case it was twitchy. Yes it has lots of authority but it doesn't come across twitchy, I think this is partly because it reactes to rudder input VERY quickly, it doesn't lag the input like many designs do in which case you have to dial in more than required then reduce it once it get's established in a turn - with the Flutter-by this is not required if you put in a bit of rudder it responds, becaues of this you can be precise, no over doing it, no compensating, just dial in a bit and watch it respond a bit. It's a nice feeling and compared to the Electrifly Flylite that I also fly indoors, the Flutter-By is a sports car in both handling & power...and more to the point every concievable flight metric.

A couple traits stand out immediately -

a) handles far more neutrally than would be expected given the dihedral. I love this. I think it gets this feel from the fact that it doesn't have a "typical" undercambered wing - while the material provides this function on the Flutter-By, it does so with some grace. In level flight if you go to full throttle there is little compensation required compared to many aircraft I have flown. This is what gives it the "point and squirt" feel. Keep in mind I am still referring to a 3 channel Aircraft park flyer - so my conclusions are with this in mind.

b) I love how you can fly it straight and level then very quickly reduce throttle, feed in some up elevator and litterally watch it put the brakes on. Just amazing how quickly it will slow down and establish a VERY stable high alpha. I was flying it around in a 6 foot circle in high alpha at a higher throttle setting and was to say the least impressed. I could absolutely fly this plane in a small gym. This is in keeping with my flying ability mind you, but it's flight envelope is incredible.

In high alpha you have such control authority that it's a joy to fly. It's insanely stable and I don't say this lightly. It simply wants to hang there. This is about as hands off as you can get (without actually taking your hands off of the controls)

Several guys said (and forgive me for this Jack) that it's like a huge vapor. And when just doodling around in the space the size of a med living room I agree, but punch the throttle and level it out and it moves out FAST or hang on the prop and it quickly emphasizes the performance side of this beast

c) Flight envelope - Is all that I had hoped and more. The slow (SLOW) flight --> hang on a prop with climbout --> straight and level with serious speed is incredible. It's easy to look at the dihedral and think sleeper...and to some degree it is, it's so simple to fly around slowly, but all of that evaporates when you stab the throttle or get cheeky with it...and I think I am gonna coin that for you Jack:

Flutter-By - The Cheeky Flyer! It really is. It reels you in with it's cute little butterfly logo, bright colors and ample dihedral....then proceeds to give you astounding confidence to push the plane and wow any onlookers.

Only complaint? I would say that for some reason the landing gear is squating on me putting the prop close to the floor. It's no big deal, I think I just need to tie the landing gear together somehow, but it doesn't sit anywhere near as solidly as I have seen on the video. Perhaps you have a suggestion for me Jack or perhaps I missed something but this is minor at this point, I can see having prop strikes soon as a result but it's not there yet and it's solvable when it is.

In Closing: For my first flight indoors it was a complete success. I was gonna take a picture of Jacks packing but decided not to post it. I think seeing it for yourself is one of the rewards for buying the plane.
This plane begs to be wrung out and flown hard *but landed softly* and slow speed control is so nice that it's incredibly easy to experiment with the complete flight envelope at any given moment. it's ability to slow down aboslutely makes it interesting to fly and the full flying tail is what gives it so much attitude.

This plane has been worth every second of waiting and I didn't absolutely know that until I flew it. I knew I needed this plane, but now that I have it, it is absolutely without question one of the nicest flying planes I own, and I own a few and I think this is because that no matter where you are in the flight envelope Jacks design is such that there is no compromise. I have no idea how he did it, but I am sure glad he did

I will post more information as I get to ring this plane out more. Thanks to all of you posters who kept me busy while waiting for the plane and I was a little concerned that perhaps you guys where just a little TOO excited about the plane, but no more. I get it and you can only really get it if you get it....know what I mean?

PS my Wife says I am glowing.
Last edited by Magnumb; Oct 29, 2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: The Flutter-By made me do it....
Old Oct 29, 2010, 03:08 AM
Joined Feb 2010
341 Posts
Batteries? Yeah, I hadn't gotten there in my thinking, but fortunately one of my batteries was topped up and while I set up the plane the second one got a good charge so I was good to go by the time I got out the door.

Just remember guys I am not retired like a bunch of ya'll....I still gotta eat!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 08:30 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
Sounds like he has been Flutter-Byed. Great Job Jack, you did it again. We need images of your Flutter-By and by all means show us Jack's packing job. Many of us got ours sans packing.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:14 AM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Magnumb,

Thanks for all of your kind words...I'm glad you are pleased with your Flutter-By!

Concerning the main landing gear...make sure that your wheels have toe-in by twisting the MLG legs toward the nose of the plane. This will help prevent the wheels from "walking out" (splaying) while in contact with the ground.

The landing gear is meant to absorb the shock of a less than perfect landing instead of passing it on to the airframe. If this results in a prop strike, well, props are much less expensive than airframe structure.

Take care if you decide to tie the landing gear together...it usually causes the plane to "trip" in grass often resulting in a prop strike.

The toe in should do the trick...

Enjoy your plane and welcome to the Flutter-By Family!

Please keep us posted on your activities!

Jack