Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:15 AM
Joined Feb 2010
316 Posts
BTW Wraithchild mentioned that when he has a chance he will try to edit his indoor video and post it. I can't flipping wait )
Magnumb is offline Find More Posts by Magnumb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:41 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,023 Posts
Flutter-By boxes;
Gentlemen, you all are far too kind. I am pretty much math challenged. I reverse numbers, letters just about anything that can be reversed, I do it. So in building my boxes, I had to measure at least 6 times before I cut anything. I thought about building the boxes, how to do them, what may work, what would not work, how to make sure that when I picked them up, they would not fall apart. It took me a week or more to think about how to build them, I took measurements, thought about it, wrote them down, drew a rough drawing and then I started. So the boxes are 24 inches square. Works out for a 4x8 sheet of foam. So I could cut at least 4 pieces then work from what was left over for the sides. One is 11 inches high, the other is 13 inches high or there about. The tops were laminated to keep them from slipping off. I made wheel chocks and then some Velcro to hold the Flutter-By's in place in case I dropped the box.(ball) I left extra room inside since I didn't want a tight fit getting the airframe in and out. So they are a bit bigger than necessary, but as I get older my eyesight is ok, but I didn't want to mess up my Flutter-By's. I showed one to Jack, he liked it, so I knew I was on the final approach so to speak. I think they are somewhat over kill in some ways, yet they are big and take up a lot of room in my mini-van. As to protecting them from heat, I live in Northern Michigan, we get hot weather here in the summer, but my car is open most of the time, we don't need to lock things up much, only at the malls, which I frequent once a month in a different car.
As to making one large enough for a regular Flutter-By, based on what I did for the mini ones, you will need a couple of sheets of foam and lots of glue and many bamboo skewers. I used the skewers to support the sides and bottom. I shoved them in, used dykes to cut them off and kept using them until I used one up. Skewers are cheap, strong, pointed so you don't need to drill a hole. I used skewers instead of tooth picks since I think the skewers are stronger, not that you would need a lot of strength to hold the sides to the bottom and the sides to each other. I glued the sides to the bottom, then in went the skewers. I did two sides, then the other two sides. It took me a while to figure out how to build the sides. Duct tape sealed the corners to prevent them from getting dinged going in and out of the car and buildings.
A full size box would be about 42 to 43 inches across, about 45-48 inches long and about 20 inches high, a rather large box is needed. This is using my "design" and adding some "fudge" factor to make it easy to put in and take out the Flutter-By.
You all are way too kind. Yes I am addicted to Flutter-By's. I think the IMAC one would be awesome. I will work and work to pay for one. I got my first Flutter-By at the First E-Fest. This was one of the best buys in airplanes I ever made. Jack put my rec in the Flutter-By, trimmed it out at E-Fest and then handed me the transmitter. I was so scared. I nearly wet my pants. Jack stood by, offering advise and help, allowing me to fly my new Flutter-By and when I landed, a huge relief came over me. I knew that Jack was a master at building and flying. He gave me confidence to fly in a very crowded event, I have never forgot that event. I don't think I have ever met anyone as organized as Jack and his shop is something to marvel at.
So I got this way, only because I wanted a unique airframe to fly both indoors and out.
Thank you Jack,
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Pretty neat trick to take my picture and not move the camera.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:00 AM
Joined Feb 2010
316 Posts
Well I mentioned my new plane to a couple people and they had heard of it. They are excited to see it when it comes in......I was surprised, seems like news really does travel!!!!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:08 PM
Joined Feb 2010
316 Posts
As my son would say, "7 more sleeps".

This is gonna be painful......
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:44 PM
Joined Jan 2010
86 Posts
Make Lemonade

Here's a thought: Tell your wife that as excited as you are, it can't compare to the final seven days before you got married! The seven days won't go by any faster, but at least the time should be enjoyable..................

(After the Flutter-By arrives, similar statements made in reference to your honeymoon should allow you maximum flight time with your new toy)

Good Luck!
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
Old Oct 23, 2010, 03:29 PM
Joined Feb 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bglasa View Post
Here's a thought: Tell your wife that as excited as you are, it can't compare to the final seven days before you got married! The seven days won't go by any faster, but at least the time should be enjoyable..................

(After the Flutter-By arrives, similar statements made in reference to your honeymoon should allow you maximum flight time with your new toy)

Good Luck!
Now that's thinking!!!!

Been married a while eh?

Mag
Old Oct 23, 2010, 06:27 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,023 Posts
Way too long, eh!! I love my Flutter-By's. I am in Chelsea MI at a dog event and when I get back from dinner, I am going out in the parking lot and fly my Combat Flutter-By. It has lights on it, landing lights and I will have enough room to take off an land. Got a street here also, so I can do touch and goes until a car comes by.
Yep, I have been married way, way too long, eh!!
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:38 AM
Joined Feb 2010
316 Posts
Delivery pushed back to the 29th now.........much pain
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:00 AM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
It's gonna be okay...trust me, it's gonna be okay...
Flutter-By is offline Find More Posts by Flutter-By
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:13 AM
Joined Feb 2010
316 Posts
LOL.....don't know if I will make it......need......plane....'grimaces and sweats'.......now
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:40 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,023 Posts
Patience, Patience, you will survive and then you will be in heaven, so to speak. Your Flutter-by will get there.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:51 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Magnunb,

It's back to the 28th...
Flutter-By is offline Find More Posts by Flutter-By
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:32 PM
Joined Feb 2010
316 Posts
I saw that! Hehehe these guys are killing me...

It's like a movie. Genre: Suspence/Thriller
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:37 PM
Joined Jan 2010
86 Posts
Cornfusious says..........

No, more like an episode of the old "Kung Fu" TV show (David Carradine), to wit:

"Ahh, Grasshopper............for how will you know pleasure unless you also know pain? The two are related ............. just as the sun and the rain."

With that mystic oriental wisdom in hand, and a happy wife in your corner, you should make it till it arrives!
bglasa is offline Find More Posts by bglasa
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:07 AM
Joined Feb 2010
316 Posts
Ok someone needs to post a new vid.....we need new content something to tide me over Grasshopper was a good student......me? Not so much.