HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:14 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys....do any of you know any good, fast carpenters? I need to get my shop door widened so my head will fit through it!

Jack
Flutter-By is offline Find More Posts by Flutter-By
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:00 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
Amen!!! LtColBryan.

I have found way too many times in life that people don't say what they need to about someone while they are alive and only after they are gone does anyone speak out. So Jack, we appreciate you, I want you to know now, not after you are gone. Yes you build one great flying airframe. I have watched you work, if everyone could see all that you do, the time and patience that you put into your building, then they would understand the price of the Flutter-By.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:11 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
A nice picture taken at the CAM fly-in this past weekend, by one of our club's officers. He plans to use this as the header for next month's e-mail newsletter as well
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:34 PM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Pretty impressive how Wrathchild can fly all of those Flutter-By's
simultaneously....especially with them all being the same color!

Seriously, that is a cool picture, thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:56 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
Great picture. "That's a lot of Flutter-Bys"
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:18 PM
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2005
266 Posts
Great photo of your Flu Flu Flu Flu Flutter-By, Wrathchild! I believe that would qualify as a "gaggle" of Flutter-Bys. Seriously... great job! It's wonderful to see a new Flutter-By owner having the same fun with their new plane that we've been having for years with ours. It's the one plane we never get tired of flying!
LtColBryan is offline Find More Posts by LtColBryan
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:55 AM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Since the last shipper managed to break three out of six of the planes they shipped.....I am trying another shipping company. I'm not sure what the problem was, the boxes were packed exactly like they had been in the past when I had no shipping damage problems.

Whatever the reason, I'm hoping that this will end damaged aircraft arriving at your door!

I provide tracking numbers in the email I send out when I ship the plane. I also insure the plane for replacement cost when I ship it. If your airplane arrives damaged please take pictures of it and the damage to the box to provide proof to the carrier.

Jack
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:49 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
Mine arrived today with no damage at all.
I purchased a yellow one with the light option and the packaging was excellent I thought.
The grandkids now have 10 yards of bubblewrap to pop.
It is obvious a lot of thought went into this design and I am impressed.
Hope to fly it in the morning and will report back on the results.
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old Jul 02, 2010, 10:54 AM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
We are waiting patiently (well maybe not patiently) for your flight report!
Old Jul 02, 2010, 04:55 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
While we are waiting for a flight report, most of us are, I also await that plus I want to see some pictures of the Yellow Flutter-By and it's lights. So as the suspense builds, we wait and wait.
Gosh, what seems like so many colors and not enough Flutter-Bys.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:17 PM
Joined Feb 2005
266 Posts
I sure hope all Flutter-By owners had as beautiful a flying day today as we had in Eastern NC. There is nothing more beautiful than flying a light-equipped Flutter-By against a night sky, illuminated by distant fireworks displays. We did our share of flying tonight. Happy 4th of July everyone!
Old Jul 05, 2010, 10:38 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
Finally got a chance to maiden my Flutter-by today in between storms.
Equipped with an AR6100 Rx and Rhino 3 cell 25C 1350 pack.
I was able to burn 3 packs at 15:00 ea before the rain moved in again.
I opted to ROG it even though our field is kinda rough, I say ROG but really it was off the ground in 3ft or so. Plenty of power available on the stock setup. I did most of my flying at 1/4 throttle or so with the occasional full power bursts pointed skyward. Slow flight is a pure pleasure. I flew most of my 2nd and 3rd pack at no more than 4 or 5ft off the deck for the entire flight. It was flying so slow I was wondering how it was able to maintain altitude, there was no wind at all and to my surprise I was even able to climb in the turns at that power setting with no hint of a stall.. So I'm sure it can probably fly slower yet. It exhibited no bad traits and was rock solid in both pitch and yaw axis. Landings are super easy, at the slow speed you have lots of time to play with the flare to get that final attitude just right. I must say I was a little apprehensive about ordering one mainly due to the cost. But after seeing and flying the finished product I'm pretty sure I cheated Jack on this one.
Thank You Jack !!!!!! You have a real winner here.

Regards,

Tim Hudson
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old Jul 06, 2010, 01:49 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
Thank you Merlin. Looks great. Glad you like it. If you feel like you cheated Jack, I am positive, I am sure that Jack will gladly accept more money if that is what you want to do! He builds a great product at what I believe is a fair price. You will enjoy it, I am very sure about that.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:12 AM
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
I'm glad you like your Flutter-By Merlin! Have a great time flying it....

Jack
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:44 AM
Joined Feb 2005
266 Posts
Well, it's a sad day in Eastern NC for this Flutterholic. My daily ritual of taking a Flutter-By flight with my family of Purple Martins has ended for

I learned by accident several years ago, that when I would fly one of my Flutter-Bys, Purple Martins living in "housing" I provide for them would take to the air and fly with me. In addition, dozens of the birds would show up from all around the neighborhood and fly with us as well. It was not uncommon to have as many as 75-100 of them in the air with me at times. It reminded me somewhat of the movie "Fly Away Home." Anyway, I have grown to love flying with them each evening.

The sad part of this story is that the Martins leave the United States around this time each year to begin their 2,000 mile journey to South America - They left my property this week. I'll be flying without them now, but I know without doubt, If I live long enough, they'll be back to fly with me again next spring!