SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 15, 2010, 05:40 PM
Vernonia, OR
Joined Mar 2004
1,188 Posts
Build Log
FPV Sky Surfer from Banana Hobby

This plane is great!

With some gentle pulling, both halves of the fuse came apart. I peeled off the old glue with my fingers.

There are 2oz worth of washers glued in the nose that also needed to come out.

I'm using Thomas' normal range RX and the stock servos that came with the plane.

I cut down the long motor shaft and replaced the stock prop with a 6x4 and collet prop adapter. Pulls 19A static, a bit less in the air I imagine. ESC is stock 20A unit. Motor is the brushless upgrade that came installed.

I ran the wires for pan & tilt so I won't have to separate the fuse later. But I won't be using P&T initially.
Hauntme13 is offline Find More Posts by Hauntme13
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2010, 05:58 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
That looks pretty roomy inside, if only these things were available as a kit, or just available if I read some of the complaints from others ... Nice build nonetheless, with all the parts spread out properly, should be a successfull maiden!

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 15, 2010, 06:18 PM
Vernonia, OR
Joined Mar 2004
1,188 Posts
Kit with motor only (brushless add $10). $44.90

http://www.bananahobby.com/2029.html
Old May 15, 2010, 06:54 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,117 Posts
is not too much angled the motor?
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old May 15, 2010, 06:59 PM
Vernonia, OR
Joined Mar 2004
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
is not too much angled the motor?
Nope, angles are molded-in. See video review. Looks like it flies like a champ.

JPower Sky Surfer (2 min 6 sec)
Old May 15, 2010, 08:51 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
I got a fuselage, stab, and fin from BH and they cost $22 plus shipping. $38 delivered. I flew it a mile away today. I use my Easy Star wings becaue BH was out of wings. They cost $8 a set, no spar included. Plenty of room and a great flyer. The fuselage came in 2 pieces so there was no prying them apart. I really like the airframe.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old May 15, 2010, 09:00 PM
My Karma ran over my Dogma
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2010
950 Posts
Nice job Crist. Can you give some more details about your build. I like this airframe as well.
fireslayer26 is offline Find More Posts by fireslayer26
Old May 15, 2010, 09:28 PM
Vernonia, OR
Joined Mar 2004
1,188 Posts
Wow Crist, you have that thing fully loaded!
Old May 15, 2010, 10:14 PM
Vernonia, OR
Joined Mar 2004
1,188 Posts
Alright, wing magnets glued on. I've found that the best glue for magnets is PU glue. Gorilla glue now makes a white version that's perfect for white foam. Dries faster too.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:46 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
My Sky Surfer with Easy Star wings

OK here is what I have for my SS:

Scorpion 2215-18 (1150Kv) motor
APC 7x5 pusher prop cut down to 6 inches
Castle Phoenix 25 ESC
Eagle Tree V3 eLogger, OSD Pro, and V4 GPS
4S1P 25C 2200mah lipo battery
SunSky Fox 800mw 1280 MHz video transmitter/receiver
FMA Co-Pilot CPD4 autopilot
Hobbywing 3A UBEC
2 each eSky 0704 rate gyros
Spektrum DX7 AR7000 with satelite receiver
Tiny-mic microphone from DPC
2 each HXT-900 servos
1/3 Sony 480 TVL camera fro Toolwotldstore. The same guy the Sony $25 cameras come from.

Rhino 3S1P 25C 750mah video battery

I used Dubro clear plastc tubes and .032 mw for pushrods and Dubro 1/16 threaded couplers, mini kwik-links, and micro razor control horns. The pushrods are in 3rd hole from the center. I also used 3M Dual Lock SJ4570 low profile "velcro" to attach items to the foam. Like the ESC, receivers, OSD, eLogger, gyros, UBEC FMA switch, and GPS. You can get it at Digi-Key.

I mounted to motor to a 1/8 5 ply birch piece of plywwod. Then glued it to the "engine pod" The motor is then screwed to they plywwod using an "X" mount and 4 #2 servo screws. I lines the LE of the wings, stab, and fin with 3M "Mulit-Task" tape. I use it hold on the the hatch on the side of the fuselage.

The gyro gain is turned up all the way with the Co-Pilot turned up to about half. The stock rudder and stab were used. With the Co-Pilot, the rudder is very "tame" but gets the job done. With the Co-Pilot off, the rudder is very effective. I use a 4mm tube to stiffen the stab and a 2mm rod on the elevator. A 3mm tube is used on the bottom of the fuselage. I used a 5mm tube in the aft fuselage area below the stab so I could run my video wires out the back of the fuselage. I use a toroid on the camera and on the video transmitter.

I made my own dipole antenna from RG316 coax. Each element is 2 3/16. I used 2 1/4 by 1/16 magnets to hold the aft end of the camera pod down. I do use a #64 rubber band as a safety till I can come up with a more secure way of holding down the pod.

I'll post a lot of pictures showing my installation in no particular order. The plane balanced out perfectly. The plane weighs 38.6 ounces ready to go.

I put all the ESC wires on disconnects to aid installation and maintenance. The signal wires are disconnected at the ESC so I could hook up the CastleLink for updating and programming.

I encase the microphone in 1/2 pipe insulation that has a 1/2 inch piece cut out to make it a bit smaller in diameter. The pipe insulation keeps the airframe vibration form affecting the quality of the sound and I plug the "mic" ens with a piece of the same to eliminate wind noise. BTW the mice is tucked "behind" the rudder servo.
Last edited by Crist Rigotti; May 15, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:57 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauntme13 View Post
Alright, wing magnets glued on. I've found that the best glue for magnets is PU glue. Gorilla glue now makes a white version that's perfect for white foam. Dries faster too.
The SS wings use a 6mm tube to join the wings. Do you think that 6mm is large enough? When I get my wings I'm thinking of boring them out for a 8mm tube like an Easy Star.
Old May 15, 2010, 11:08 PM
Vernonia, OR
Joined Mar 2004
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
The SS wings use a 6mm tube to join the wings. Do you think that 6mm is large enough? When I get my wings I'm thinking of boring them out for a 8mm tube like an Easy Star.
It seems very stiff, but your SS is pretty heavy. Here's the batteries I ordered. I ordered 4 of them. 3s 2200mah 15c. $12.29 each. Should be plenty.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6518
Old May 15, 2010, 11:22 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauntme13 View Post
It seems very stiff, but your SS is pretty heavy. Here's the batteries I ordered. I ordered 4 of them. 3s 2200mah 15c. $12.29 each. Should be plenty.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6518
At 38.6 ounces it still just floats nice and slow when power is off. I really like this plane. I'd like to try it with the SS wing set. Mid June BH says they should be in.
Old May 15, 2010, 11:23 PM
Vernonia, OR
Joined Mar 2004
1,188 Posts
So right now, the airframe minus battery and video TX and camera weighs 17.3oz (490g). Add 157g for battery and ~38g for video tx and cam and we arrive at 24.2oz (685g).

Soooo, that means I have a power to weight ratio of 145W/lb. Not too shabby!!!