HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2010, 03:51 AM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Cool
Make a hot wire foam cutter in 30 minutes.

Make a hot wire foam cutter in 30 minutes.

See video and pics below.
I was tired of reading and researching and pricing out hot wire cutters, so I thought about the bits and pieces of info I gathered
and decided to take the plunge and do it my way with stuff I already had.
No train transformers, dimmer switches etc… That is for a better setup in the future if I really need it
If I had 4 small alligator clips I could have done it in 15 minutes!!! Thanks to all who put info out there.

List of parts:

1x 450 Instant Starting Amps - Start It® Jump-Starter
http:/www.blackanddecker.com/Product...roductID=15582I had bought mine at SAM'S 6 years ago for $39.95. Had it on the boat, the car, the truck and it saved my butt many times.
Everyone should have one! Tell the wife.
I plugged tires and inflated them on the side of the road without removing the wheels, jump started my boat many times while I was way out there…
Also helped quite a few people with drained batteries. Now that is enough to justify getting one!

1x extension cord
1x fiberglass rod
1x guitar string
2x small alligator clips
Soldering iron
30 minutes to spare!

Note: If I had 4 small alligator clips I would have used them so as not to solder wires permanently to the battery jumper clips.
I will have to go and get 2 more so I can do a quick connect/disconnect in order to still use the jump start for its main reason of being!!!

See the video and pics. Self explanatory.
I think I will call this the "K.I.S.S." hot wire cutter.

Next is to build my vacuum forming box: I already have some leftover peg board, a wet dry vac, wood pieces and a portable rotisserie oven of good size to heat up the plastic.

The other is setting up my vacuum bagging machine to bag wings.
I will also use a simple hand pump used to check the vacuum on cars, 20-30 bucks.
(ALSO PORTABLE and does not require a power source.)

This is what I want for my hangar: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...oductId=129079
Would a really cool weather vane!!!

Visit:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243116 for more info on the $1 covering.

Enjoy and please contribute your feedback to this thread.
Thanks,
Lafayette.

HOT WIRE FOAM CUTTER 101.wmv (2 min 16 sec)
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; Jun 04, 2010 at 06:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2010, 08:46 AM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2004
1,741 Posts
"I plugged tires and inflated them on the side of the road without removing the wheels,"

how did you do that?
sajeev is offline Find More Posts by sajeev
Old May 15, 2010, 08:52 AM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2004
1,741 Posts
i see you have a compressor. but how did you plug the tire? how did you get the nail out?

on a second note...i see its a bow type wire cutter. have you cut any airfoiled wings yet ? my bow cutters always cut deeper in the middle
sajeev is offline Find More Posts by sajeev
Old May 15, 2010, 01:29 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajeev View Post
i see you have a compressor. but how did you plug the tire? how did you get the nail out?

on a second note...i see its a bow type wire cutter. have you cut any airfoiled wings yet ? my bow cutters always cut deeper in the middle
Yes, just stop anf turn the wheel so the nail or screw is exposed, remove it ant use the special rounded ice pick looking tool that comes with the plugs. I always have plugs handy in each of my vehicles. Then just connect and start the compressor, done.

As for wings, I am waiting for some thicker foam. I am kinda lost here and 3/4 is the thickest blue or white stuff I can find. I will special order or travel around a bit.
In any case, I already had planned on laminating two 3/4 inch pieces, with the reinforcements in between the layers, and then cutting the cores.
I need some formica for my templates. I will source some out today.
I want a full profile 3D foamie wing.
Also a ribbed wing for my kid's Slow Stick(all in foam, carbon rod, and dollar store transparent cover.
I will improve my set up and make a small cutting table for depron sheets thanks to:John255 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1221543

Also I will make a vertical bow for flat cuts and angle cuts. I need to order some wire leader.

QUOTE"my bow cutters always cut deeper in the middle"
Is your wire tight enough? Do you pull too hard on your bow when cutting?

When I have more cutting done I will post the results I get with different materials, foam block size etc...

This is a quick basic tool and someday i will have my dream form cutting and bagging setup in the garage, not in the Hangar!!! I will the be able to do more work in winter!!!

Lafayette.
Old May 15, 2010, 06:46 PM
3Disaster
Las vegas nevada
Joined Apr 2007
277 Posts
Sweet just the thing I need in the garage
nerdc0re79 is offline Find More Posts by nerdc0re79
Old May 15, 2010, 08:28 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajeev View Post

Is the surface,on which you do the cutting, nice and flat???
Try on a really flat surface like a glass table. See if your cut improves.
Lafayette
Old May 18, 2010, 11:44 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
New pics of thin cuts of FFF using my setup, guitar string for wire.
I obtained nice cuts 1/16" and 1/64". That is paper thin. The 1/16th would be perfect for sheeting, or for wings for micro planes.

With the 1/64" I can finally make some "Walkalong gliders" for my kids and schoolmates! One for me too, I can always use the exercise!!!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:09 AM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
No votes? Almost 10,000 views?
Quite a few are interested and benefited from this.
Little recognition would be great.
What do you think?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:10 AM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,539 Posts
I love it. Great work. And I have plenty of guitar strings since i play. I see you used a bronze string in the pix. Would a stainless steel string work just as well?
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:09 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,059 Posts
Nice!!! Way to use what ya have and get things done. I like it. Good job!!! Now where is my old strings? hahaha
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:08 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
I love it. Great work. And I have plenty of guitar strings since i play. I see you used a bronze string in the pix. Would a stainless steel string work just as well?
Stainless steel fishing leader works great. Look for 0.02 - 0.03" +/- wire size or about 50# test single strand bare.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Stainless steel fishing leader works great. Look for 0.02 - 0.03" +/- wire size or about 50# test single strand bare.
Yep, I got and use different sizes of Mason leaders which are a nikcle blend and last a long time.

The video was to show what can be done with odds and ends on the cheap!
I also built a router and a gravity table fot just a few bucks.

I,d rather buy foam or balsa or batteries!
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:19 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
This is really cool stuff Lafayette. Any chance of a vid shwoing how you cut the 1/16 & 1/64 thick pieces?
I have a need for 3mm & thinner foam but can't spring for new foam atm but have a lot of blue FFF and also the 2" blue.

Would love to see how you cut that stuff.

Thx for posting this.
jimmy
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer View Post
This is really cool stuff Lafayette. Any chance of a vid shwoing how you cut the 1/16 & 1/64 thick pieces?
I have a need for 3mm & thinner foam but can't spring for new foam atm but have a lot of blue FFF and also the 2" blue.

Would love to see how you cut that stuff.

Thx for posting this.
jimmy
What I did was to use different size STRAIGHT dowels, carbon rods, placed on each side of a nice flat board and used them as guides for thickness for one of my hot wire bows. Real simple and it worked very well.If you incline the board it can act as a gravity cutter, take it slow for a uniform cut. Hope that helps.
Also look at the SEEBEE build on my blog, or go to the thread I have a wire router and a gravity table build in the vids made for close to nothing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1284518&page=2
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 02, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:58 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,121 Posts
Nice. Thx for the info. I'm at work now so I will have to check it out this weekend. Thx again.
jimmy
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer