Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 14, 2010, 07:35 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
My 57" P-51 Mustang Build

This is my build of the... FMS EPO 57" P-51D Mustang "Shangri-La" / "Auntie Samantha"

My intention here is to illustrate the numerous mods I have performed on my P-51D Mustang.

NOTE:
I'm constantly Up-Dating this page so feel free to check it out to see what I've been up to lately!

I won't be getting into all the technical details relating to motors, ESC's, BEC's...etc. as these subjects are covered quite eloquently and in depth by fellow builders such as:
...JBC/John, one of the "Boys" from OZ, who has posted a rather entertaining video of his "Infamous Bomb Drops"...it's a "HOOT!"
...LICobra/Tony shows how he did his Flaps & Elevator mods, you have to see his "Detroit Miss" (His proficiency to detail is impeccable)
...TheOldGuard/Dave has a very informative posting of what other builders have done with their 'Stangs
...Tom Hunt and his "FMS P-51D to P-51B conversion" which he illustrates how to convert the wing to a 1-piece removable wing
...ChrisF/Chris, another one of the "OZ Boys", has a very informative Blog where he illustrates how to prep a foamie for painting. He too, has a version of his one-piece wing mod on his thread "FMS 60 inch foam P-51D".
...Beltpilot/Bernhard who addresses many of the issues associated with this new P-51. His "Must-Do's" / "Should-Do's" & "Can-Do's" is a must read! He has also started a thread "FMS Giant Warbirds - Participate in their development" which is an open discussion on the development & improvements we, as consumers, builders & flyers might offer FMS for any of their future Giant Warbird projects.

I'll leave all that "Tech Talk" to the Pros, and I'll just concentrate on what I do best.....Modify, Fabricate & Build!

I purchased my P-51 back in Feb. 2010 from Philip at PW-RC. It came with the flaps already installed, both sets of 4-Blade and 2-Blade assemblies & retracts with the steerable/modifiable retracting tail wheel.

I am currently running the TGY AerodriveXp 42 SK Series 42-50 650Kv / 1150w, with the option of installing the TGY AerodriveXp 46 SK Series 50-55 580Kv / 1580w at a later date.

ESC: Pentium 60A w/3A BEC
BEC: Castle Creations 10A
Reciever: Futaba 2.4Ghz R617FS
Quanum 2.4Ghz Telemetry System
Navigation Lights..........RC Lander / Hunter series
LG / BD sequencer.......MicroGear
Landing Gear..............DSR2-46T Titan Electronic Retracts / Titan Tricycle Version
75 gal. Drop Tanks......
500 LB. Bombs...........

Servos:
Elevator....................HiTech HS-82MG
Rudder/Tail Wheel......Hextronic MG 14
Ailerons....................HXT900 9g
Flaps........................HXT900 9g 1 servo reversed.
Bay Doors.................HXT900 9g

UP-DATE 7/22/2010: Here is a video of my most recent "walk around" of the "Mustang" showing, what I hope is the final assembly?

P 51 Mustang Walk Around (1 min 55 sec)

The Real Deal!!
P-51 Mustang takeoff, flyby, landing and shutdown (2 min 2 sec)

Two Very Low P-51 Passes.mp4 (0 min 35 sec)

P-51 Mustang super low pass (0 min 25 sec)

P51 Mustang Buzzed Us! (0 min 9 sec)

P-51 Low Pass (0 min 27 sec)

P-51 Mustangs in the air - The P-51 Mustang Video - "Sketches of Freedom" (4 min 6 sec)

UP-DATE 5/30/2010: "Photoshoot!"

UP-DATE 7/22/2010: Photoshoot 2 "Drop Tanks!"
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Jan 13, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2010, 08:38 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Great work on the blog mate definitely one of the best build blogs I've seen on RCgroups I reckon FMS should pay per click just to have a look ok so now that's it for the Mustang build, how many other planes did you say you had in your hangar that need blogging???
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Old May 25, 2010, 07:15 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
462 Posts
Hi Sandancer

Fantastic work!!
The highlights are the retractable doors of main gears and their sequence system.
The system is pretty cool!
I would like to see your P-51 flying videos.

I also made such a multi functional EP plane about 5 years ago.
If I had found such sequence system when I built FSK zero-fighter, I would set in that!! I’ll introduce my FSK zero-fighter using photos and flying videos.

Thank you.
shigetyann is offline Find More Posts by shigetyann
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Piranha EP boat
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:48 AM
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Oct 2004
28 Posts
Doesn't the EPO mean foam?
mlawrencemsc is offline Find More Posts by mlawrencemsc