HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by grantypoo, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 14, 2010, 06:27 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2005
46 Posts
Build Log
ESM Dauntless

Just purchased an ESM Dauntless, to put a warbird together that is suitable for our flying field, and is a little different - in as much as I can have flaps, and a working bomb drop with a model that isn't doing 100mph .
I was keen to have some sort of motor that wasnt a single, or a petrol engine so it sounded "right " ...there was of course the option of electric with a sound system , and I also looked at twins and radial options. Needing a reasonably powerful engine to fly what will be a 14 lb ish model (estimated) the saito twins that would power it were too wide for the cowl. The 90 radial would not have enough power, so I thought that the 170R3 would probably fit. This being decided after reading the cylinder head width and "guestimating" from what cowl dimensions I had access to (prior to the kit arriving ) I bought an 170 R3.
The kit arrived first though, and bugger, the cowl was not round but eliptical and it looked like the motor would not fit. Well. much to my delight, when the motor arrived, and I married them up (duly expecting that it was not going to be a match ) I found that the motor fitted inside the cowlwith a few mm to spare, but not only that, the mounting plate that is std on the R3 was a perfect distance from the firewall to the front of the cowl...ie all I needed to
do is ensure the motor was lined up, bore 4 holes and mount it.
The next thing was a suitable exhaust system, and Kelvin at Keleo Creations makes one that is very suitable. One was ordered, and duly arrived but - while it was a perfect fit inside the cowl, if did not fit in front of the firewall -ie it needed to be moved closer to the motor by 10mm - so back to Keleo and Kelvin made a special one for me which now fits perfectly.
( The stock one is for sale if anyone is looking for one )
to be cont.
pics to come
grantypoo is offline Find More Posts by grantypoo
Last edited by grantypoo; Jul 11, 2010 at 09:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2010, 09:25 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,661 Posts
Do post more! I've been considering the ESM tigercat over at troy built models but I've never been keen on an ARF of that size. I'm hesitant to trust it. I've never seen one up close either so I am interested.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old May 15, 2010, 08:55 PM
Joined Dec 2005
46 Posts
esm tigercat

Im curious to know why trusting one is an issue ? There was a very good review of the YT Tigercat in the English RCM+ E mag a while ago, and it read very well. ( YT is the same brand in England as ESM is in the USA - why they have to use a different names escapes me keep it simple I say, use the same brand name worldwide !)
I have a YT Spitfire and its a top model , the ESM Dauntless also looks to very well made. Also had a YT Hurricane but sold it - from what I have seen they are greatvalue for your money so don't hesitate , go get one - they are less expensive now than they used to be !
Just a shame they don't include retracts as std - you have to buy them separately.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 02:42 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Any pics of that saito 170 mounted? TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:45 PM
Joined Dec 2005
46 Posts
170 mounted

Yes, happy to post pics now the exhaust is here and fitted - sadly though the
earthquake we had on Sept 4th, had my fuselage badly damaged when my toolbox fell on it - so have to get a new fuselage for it