HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:52 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
I don't have any CAD experience so maybe thats a plus. Im gonna finish this foamy then on to the instruction vids.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:03 AM
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2010
124 Posts
Since I started this thread back a year ago I thought it would help get things going with Sketch-Up. While there has been some great contributions, it seems to have died off a little. We need to keep this going if for no other reason then a source of clip art from other SU creators. I'll post some of my recent projects to see if we get this going again.
Cruiser1 is offline Find More Posts by Cruiser1
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:33 AM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
I agree...

My latest one I'm working on, the Viper Cub. I'm gonna try building it using the slice technique. Slices prduced with the Slicer plug-in.

40" built-up airfoiled wing or an optional KF wing. Short coupled like the Slow-Poke, massive wing chord for lots of area... We'll see..?

Plans soon in My Blog.

-Buk
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:59 AM
Candler. North Carolina
Joined Aug 2009
9 Posts
sketchup/phlatscript/nc plot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwok_Yu View Post
Karl Bē, how is you cut the picture into exact 1024x1024 panels? I also remember there was mention of a openGL setting. I forget in what context. I see there is one called "use max texture size".

-Kwok
Hey. KWOK some really good stuff you have posted on here. Just wish I could get it all working. Downloaded phlatscript as per instructions. It just don't show up in extensions. I meet all system requirements. Have Sketch 8.

NC PLOT cost around $300.00 now. There are other free programs that may work as well.

Don't know what my next step will be. Keep up the good work.
A1000hats is offline Find More Posts by A1000hats
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:29 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1000hats View Post
Hey. KWOK some really good stuff you have posted on here. Just wish I could get it all working. Downloaded phlatscript as per instructions. It just don't show up in extensions. I meet all system requirements. Have Sketch 8.

NC PLOT cost around $300.00 now. There are other free programs that may work as well.

Don't know what my next step will be. Keep up the good work.
Thanks. Phlatscript is easy to install. Not sure about their latest, but I remember you just unzip to the tool folder. [edit: actually it goes in the main sketchup folder. ie "Google SketchUp 8"] Then you need to set the toolbar to be visible. Of course, it should be listed in extensions. But I think the extension is already activated, by default. What exactly are you doing?

You might try this controller software, to view your cnc files. It's free, because you have to buy their hardware card. But it is fully functional as a viewer and very fast with big cnc files. That would be my next choice:
http://www.planet-cnc.com/

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Last edited by Kwok_Yu; Jan 12, 2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: correction
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:05 AM
Candler. North Carolina
Joined Aug 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Phlatscript is easy to install. Not sure about their latest, but I remember you just unzip to the tool folder. [edit: actually it goes in the main sketchup folder. ie "Google SketchUp 8"] Then you need to set the toolbar to be visible. Of course, it should be listed in extensions. But I think the extension is already activated, by default. What exactly are you doing?

You might try this controller software, to view your cnc files. It's free, because you have to buy their hardware card. But it is fully functional as a viewer and very fast with big cnc files. That would be my next choice:
http://www.planet-cnc.com/

-Kwok
Thanks for your reply. I was in contact with Mark and Trish all day yesterday. We tried this and that over and over. Nothing seemed to work. I just gave up and uninstalled all sketchup and phlatscript.
I know this is a good program as others are having a lot of fun with it. Where in I thnk the problem lies. Google is just not goin to allow this with out paying. My thought is if I buy pro it will work just fine.
So I am off to explore other avenues.
A1000hats is offline Find More Posts by A1000hats
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:32 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,063 Posts
Just an FYI. Maybe it's me, but... I downloaded Sketchup 8 and realized the two laser cutters I talked to prefer a dxf or dwg file. So, I downloaded an skp to dxf plugin but it won't export properly. Anyone else have problems with this?

I downloaded Cute PDF and it prints (saves) to there just fine.
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,359 Posts
You might try Inkscape. It will save to DXF, though I don't know how well the format works with other programs. Remember to use guides and snap to make sure all your lines and curves are connected properly.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:52 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Here is a question for all of you. Is there any plugin or stand alone program that will convert a CAD file of an airfoil into a .dat type of coordinates file that can be used by XFLR5 and the like. I have the Sketchup plugin that will import the .dat airfoil files, but there is none that go the other way that I can find. At this point, I don't card if it works directly with Sketchup or not, just some way to convert CAD drawings to .dat files would be a BIG boost. Any of you Ruby scripters out there want to give that one a try?

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:12 PM
EAC
Eureka Springs, AR
Joined Jan 2007
82 Posts
Profscan

Profscan will convert a variety of formats to dat files....

I've been using it for quite a few years now...

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
Here is a question for all of you. Is there any plugin or stand alone program that will convert a CAD file of an airfoil into a .dat type of coordinates file that can be used by XFLR5 and the like. I have the Sketchup plugin that will import the .dat airfoil files, but there is none that go the other way that I can find. At this point, I don't card if it works directly with Sketchup or not, just some way to convert CAD drawings to .dat files would be a BIG boost. Any of you Ruby scripters out there want to give that one a try?

Mark
EAC is offline Find More Posts by EAC
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:57 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quick61, if you google "igull phlatforum", the 1st link is a plugin written by igull. The problem with .dat format is there is not one standard of how the points should be ordered. So the converted file may not work for a particular software.

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:52 PM
EAC
Eureka Springs, AR
Joined Jan 2007
82 Posts
Actually there is only one proper way to order the points in a dat file. start at the TE, go to the LE across the top, then return to the TE across the bottom of the airfoil. Any other way does not follow the actual specs. Number of points, however, is not specified.

Don
EAC is offline Find More Posts by EAC
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Quick61, if you google "igull phlatforum", the 1st link is a plugin written by igull. The problem with .dat format is there is not one standard of how the points should be ordered. So the converted file may not work for a particular software.

-Kwok
Thanks for that. I'll give it a try and let you all know how it works for airfoils.

Edit: Well, not so much. It will do sort of OK with simple oval ( line segment to close it was missing) and just won't even come close to getting complex curves like an airfoil correct for importing to XFLR5. Tha,t and no way to reference where zero is as everything is build above zero and will not produce a top and bottom half. Maybe something could be built off of it, but I know almost next to nothing about Ruby scripting.
Last edited by Quick61; Jan 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Alright, here is a printing question for you all. Maybe I'm not getting it or It's been mentioned somewhere before but here it is. I have a drawing (attached below) that is 47.5" wide and 35.5" tall to be printed out to a PDF that would be a 48"X36" single sheet with 1/4" margins. No matter what I try or do, I can not get it to print to scale on a single sheet. Sketchup wants to print the "nothing" on either sides of the drawing breaking up the print to multiple sheets.

Is there a way to get Sketchup to print out just the drawing and nothing else? Is there some sort of Plugin that will let you "Print Selected" or any such? I really do not want to be spending more time stitching together multi-pages when I am starting out with a drawing that will fit on one sheet to begin with!
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:28 AM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,512 Posts
Anyone have experience using the intersect faces tool? I'm having trouble getting the correct intersections between two shapes.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68