Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:58 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack5 View Post
Hi

Thanks for all of you, Kwok_Yu your .wmy plays but it has no sound

Also how do you turn a line into a polyline?

Can you combine a .dat file with a wing out line to make a top / bottom wing?

JimnAz thanks for the file. I had to put in the SKup plugin folder befor the plugin worked. But it worked.
There is no sound in the video. To turn a line into a polyline, I use the bezier splines plugin: right click context menu/convert to/polyline

I hope you make it a priority to figure out your problem with the skechucation forum, as I have no wish to be your personal supplier of public plugins. For now, I googled and found the bezier splines plugin also posted here: http://www.kien06vl.com/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=824

The dat file just imports as a bunch of edges. If you aren't able to make that into a top and bottom curve, you should be learning the basics before trying to do surface modeling. One tip , I can give you, is after you have the top and bottom edges, then convert them into a bezier spline instead of a polyline.

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:01 AM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,512 Posts
I have a question about importing image files. It seems that no mater how good the image file looks outside of sketchup that once it's imported it looks blurry. Is there a particular image file type that works better when importing?
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:06 AM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
Do you have "X-ray"face style turned on?

View > Face Style > X-ray
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:26 AM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,512 Posts
No that's not it. I think Sketchup just doesn't handle image files well. I've imported very large drawings (70" wide x 30" tall) and they still look pretty blurry when zooming in to try and trace. These same image files look very sharp in Gimp when zoomed into the same level.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:32 AM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
hmmm, I've never had any trouble with images being blurry.

Have you checked to make sure that "Hardware acceleration" is turned on?

Window > Preferences > OpenGL
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:52 AM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
I just checked and it is blurry. Never noticed that before. Maybe it's imported at a lower resolution to save space?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:21 PM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
I honestly can't see any eifference on mine, however, I do see some on your's Kwok but it could just be me. I have very poor eyesight.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 06:43 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,018 Posts
Hello,
Does anyone have information on how or where to get the "fredoscale" plugin? I cannot seem to download it from the page that it used to be on (the links are inactive). Is there an alternate program that will allow me to bend parts?

Thanks!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:02 AM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
Fredoscale --> http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?t=17948
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:30 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,018 Posts
Thanks, 7up!

I did not realize that you had to be logged on/in to gain access to downloads. I got it now! Thanks again!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jan 27, 2011, 06:03 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Regarding images imported into Sketchup:

If your image is larger than 1024 pixels, it will be downsized. To get a large image into SU at high resolution, you'll have to break it into 1024x1024 panels, then import one at a time. The original image for this German U-boat is 6238x2750. I've highlighted each 1024 panel in the first shot, then zoomed in to show the detail on the second.

I don't have good hull contour drawings for the Type VIIc, though I'll be able to rough something up from the limited cross sections and 3-views here.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Jan 28, 2011, 04:34 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Karl Bē, how is you cut the picture into exact 1024x1024 panels? I also remember there was mention of a openGL setting. I forget in what context. I see there is one called "use max texture size".

-Kwok
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:19 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
I use Photoshop Elements and set the selection tool to 1024x1024, then create "new image from clipboard". Start the next square selection at the corner of the first, then select again and repeat. Just make sure the selection isn't feathered or anti-aliased, or the edges will be harder to join.

If the image editor of your choice makes it hard to select the exact regions, just overlap the selections slightly, then align in SU using transparency. It is important to select the exact size each time, to make rescaling accurate.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:45 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Just downloaded Google Sketch-UP. Is it fairly easy to use?
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:21 AM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
Just downloaded Google Sketch-UP. Is it fairly easy to use?
There is no other design software that is as easy or easier. Do spend time on their basic instruction videos, you can get farther in two hours with the free training than days on your own.

That goes even if you have CAD experience, since SketchUp has its own 'way' of doing things. For instance, there is no copy command, but copies are easy to make as modified Move or Rotate (hold Control key) commands, and multiple copies are modifications to that by either dividing the distance or angle, or by multiplying the instances. It may sound complicated, but the practice is far faster and easier than having separate copy and move keys.
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick