SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2010, 04:47 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAC View Post
Question from a newer Sketchup user (old CAD user).. Been importing DXF formers, etc, and all is going fairly well. So far I haven't found an easy way to 'open up' the lightening holes, or tab slots, that are in the DXF versions of the formers. Do you have to do extrude them one at a time after you extrude the former, or is there an easy way?

Thanks

Don
Don, I am also a (old CAD user) newish Sketchup user, but plan to excusively use Sketchup. The easiest way is to delete the hole faces, before you pushpull extrude the former. Check out my f15 video, because I do just that; import dxf and make 3d parts out of them: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...73&postcount=4 In the video, I used a face picker to make selecting the faces to delete, even easier. But now I have written a plugin that will delete all the interior faces automatically. If interested, I just posted links at the end of that same thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=24

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2010, 05:04 PM
Joined Apr 2010
70 Posts
7up Kwok - I want to thank you guys for your help in this thread. This is just what I wanted to see happen here. I've been SUing for about three years now and there are so many ways to do the same thing in SU. It pays to see how others do things. We'll all learn from this.

7up... Thanks for the parts. I'll try to post some of mine here shortly. Its funny... I was reading what you and Don posted. I work just the other way around... I design in SU and then output to CAD. I have a service close to my office that prints out one sheet for me. No cut and tape! Spoiled! Thanks again - Tossit
tossitup is offline Find More Posts by tossitup
Old May 22, 2010, 05:36 PM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
Here is a tip when performing push/pull. Actually all non-wanted parts should be deleted before the initial push/pull but in this case we already have the part extruded.

When doing repeated push/pulls of the same distance, just push/pull the first part then double click all other proceeding parts. This works with both push and pull.

push-pull tip (1 min 32 sec)
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old May 22, 2010, 08:20 PM
EAC
Eureka Springs, AR
Joined Jan 2007
82 Posts
Kwok,

Thanks a lot. I have found in a couple days that the magic in Sketch Up is in the plug-ins Between your delete interior faces plugin, FredoScale (the bend feature) and the makefaces plugin, I have been able to accomplish a lot in 2 days time with Sketch Up. Importing my present CAD stuff, and building 3D models is a breeze. I'm sure a lot of years of cad use helps I can see doing a lot more work with it as time goes by.

Just also watched the 10 minute video. Very cool. Is there a place we can go see all of your plug-ins, and possiblty make a donation?

A very big thanks out to the great folks writing the plugins!!!

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwok_Yu View Post
Don, I am also a (old CAD user) newish Sketchup user, but plan to excusively use Sketchup. The easiest way is to delete the hole faces, before you pushpull extrude the former. Check out my f15 video, because I do just that; import dxf and make 3d parts out of them: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...73&postcount=4 In the video, I used a face picker to make selecting the faces to delete, even easier. But now I have written a plugin that will delete all the interior faces automatically. If interested, I just posted links at the end of that same thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=24

-Kwok
EAC is offline Find More Posts by EAC
Last edited by EAC; May 22, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:50 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,574 Posts
A slightly different use for Sketchup

I'm an absolute novice at CAD and stand in awe of the sort of results people get with CAD programs in the "CAD showcase" forum but I have found that Sketchup is an amazingly powerful tool for non-experts once you get the hang of the transition from a 2D to a 3D drawing tool.

Here's some exports from my first effort which is a bit different. Rather than use Sketchup to model a new design, I think it has real application as an adjunct "instructional" illustration device to help people understand how kits and scartch builts should be assembled.

It all started when I did a brief review on Amazon of Carlos Reyes's "RCadvisor's ModiFly: Design and Build From Scratch Your Own Modern Flying Model Airplane In One Day for Just $5". I said in the review of this otherwise excellent little book:

My only minor gripe? I would love to have seen a nice isometric GA drawing of the model at the start of the book. Remember those wonderful exploded drawings in the old Graupner kits? It would make it much easier to see how it all fits together as you read through it. I'm not sure the (brilliant) triangular fuselage and the KFm1 wing construction are immediately obvious to a beginner with no knowledge or a familiarity only with conventional ARF construction. It's all covered in the copious photos but I think a drawing at the start would make it much clearer.

Well rather than whinge, I got a copy of Sketchup and did just that. Hopefully Carlos can find a use for it if ever he reprints the book. Later he was kind enough to send his designs for a new plane Modisoar and I used that to try out various ways of presenting the drawings to help people new to the hobby. He also introduced me to the fascinating world of KF airfoils.

Be interested in what people think. I suspect a Sketchup model from a couple of angles with an exploded and dimensioned version would be a big help to folks who have never had any experience in reading plans before. Carlos' interest is in helping newcomers move beyond the ARF experience into a real understanding and enjoyment of why our little planes fly.

These designs are of course copyrighted but I have permission from Carlos to post them. If you haven't visited his excellent website with the very useful Model Airplane Calculator, it's well worth it.
http://www.rcadvisor.com/guest
There is a book about ModiFly, but ModiSoar is an unreleased design still in development that uses an advanced version of the KFm (Kline-Fogleman airfoils).

John
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:22 AM
Carlos Reyes
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jul 2007
65 Posts
Nice Work

Beautiful work, John.

There is a very long story behind the unique KFm airfoil variant. I wanted an airfoil that had the ease of building and stall resistance of the KFm airfoil family, but had a better glide ratio. After much research and testing, this design that I came up with was clearly the best.

Carlos Reyes
, AMA Scientific Leader member #4601
Author of RCadvisor's Model Airplane Design Made Easy and other books.
www.RCadvisor.com founder - Brainy calculator, so you don't have to be.
creyes123 is offline Find More Posts by creyes123
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:37 PM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
jj604, I agree and find it much easier to understand plans if they include an exploded view. I try to include some sort of visual instruction along with any plans I post.
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old Jun 21, 2010, 08:47 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,574 Posts
7Up - Very nice!

I like the 3D view with all the parts labelled. How much easier that must make it for beginners who wouldn't know what a "former" was.

The nice thing about Sketchup is that it is quite adequate and pretty quick for the "plans" stage with its clever inference engine. Then when it is done, producing a 3D model in any particularly useful orientation, with or without dimensions, is only a few moments work. My kind of computer intelligence. If only I had it when I suffered through Engineering Isometric Drawing with a set of instruments and a drawing board!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up View Post
jj604, I agree and find it much easier to understand plans if they include an exploded view. I try to include some sort of visual instruction along with any plans I post.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:28 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,521 Posts
How would you go about putting a skin on the hull of this boat? I'd like to put a plywood skin on the bulkheads/formers, but the skin has a pronounced twist to it as well as not being flat. Any ideas?
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:03 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC68 View Post
How would you go about putting a skin on the hull of this boat? I'd like to put a plywood skin on the bulkheads/formers, but the skin has a pronounced twist to it as well as not being flat. Any ideas?
I haven't really got into surface modeling, yet. But I think you just need to make faces by connecting all the corner points. Since you need 3 coplanar points to make a face, generally you will end up with mostly triangles. If you need more detail then just subdivide more in key areas. If you are interested in boats, you may be interested in this. I converted over the bulkheads of the Star45 sailboat hull from the free plans. The sketchup file is posted over at the phlatforum: http://www.phlatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=167&t=1707 I gave a quick try at putting a skin on part of it. Looks like it is working.

-Kwok
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:44 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,521 Posts
Kwok,

How exactly do I subdivide? And what exactly does that do? I made this drawing from the "Flying Ant" skiff drawings that are available online.

Thanks,
Steve
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:45 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Kwok,

How exactly do I subdivide? And what exactly does that do? I made this drawing from the "Flying Ant" skiff drawings that are available online.

Thanks,
Steve
Sub divide just means you make more faces, to make more details. See this description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdivision_surface

Maybe this will be more clear. I drew over your picture. Your model doesn't look that complicated. You can ignore the top center, where I tried to show an example of subdividing more to show details.

Check out this youtube video of a master at work. That's way beyond what we need to do:
Sketchup car tutorial (9 min 51 sec)
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:02 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,521 Posts
Kwok,

Thanks for the video. Is there an easy way to subdivide a line? Say I draw a line and I want to subdivide it into 10 equal parts. Is there an easy way to do that other than just finding the midpoint and drawing a point, and then finding the midpoint of each half drawing a point, etc?

Steve
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:44 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Kwok,

Thanks for the video. Is there an easy way to subdivide a line? Say I draw a line and I want to subdivide it into 10 equal parts. Is there an easy way to do that other than just finding the midpoint and drawing a point, and then finding the midpoint of each half drawing a point, etc?

Steve
Steve, right click and use "Divide". After clicking Divide, move your cursor to dynamically select the number of segments. Seems to work with arcs and circles, too. -Kwok
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:39 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,521 Posts
SWEET! Thanks for that one.