SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 14, 2010, 01:08 AM
Joined Aug 2009
190 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum AR6100e range test problem

just bought a cheap AR6100e from ebay. supposed to be brand new but came without a box or bind plug. tried range testing it - could only hold a bind at 15-20meters. Supposed to hold a bind to 28m. Tried it on a small plane in a 200m field. Flew ok with no loss of bind.

Does anyone know of any fake or factory seconds Spektrum Ar6100? Is the range testing on a Dx7 reliable? or are there other factors which can affect range tests?
micman75 is offline Find More Posts by micman75
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2010, 03:05 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
On thing I've found when range testing various Spektrum receivers is that it sometimes helps to elevate the plane just a bit above the ground, especially if its a small plane with no landing gear.

Prop the plane up on a cardboard box, or a plastic bucket, or similar, and try again.

PS: I assume by "losing the bind" you just mean that the radio lost contact and no longer responded to inputs. Losing the bind would mean you'd have to go and rebind the receiver.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old May 14, 2010, 03:55 AM
Joined Aug 2009
190 Posts
The tests were done at a field, with a small plane, on box about 1 foot off the ground.
Yes, not losing the bind completely but just plane not responding to inputs.

I guess my question is; how confident can I be that this ar6100e is working properly given that it only holds radio contact to 15-20meters... is it a major issue or is it a common finding on these receivers?
Old May 14, 2010, 05:10 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
If it doesn't past a range test, you have NO confidence it is working properly.

If you send it to Horizon, they will check it out and repair or replace it. It costs you one way shipping.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old May 14, 2010, 06:45 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,647 Posts
You can also try to simply put the plane on your box you used and do a real test and not just range test. You may find yourself being able to still control the plane and not be able to see it anyways give you what should be the full PARK FLYER range of the AR6100(e)
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 14, 2010, 07:16 AM
Joined Aug 2009
190 Posts
freechip, I have done just that. put the plane on a box, walked the whole length of a field and tested it. held the signal at 130meters. at this distance I could hardly see the plane.
Pinecone, so what you're saying is that the range test described on the spektrum manual is reliable and there are no variations in test results depending on how the test is conducted?
I'm in Sydney, Australia, so posting it to horizon isn't really viable for me. I'm thinking of just using these on small park flyers, where I wont be flying it too far...
Old May 14, 2010, 10:29 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,647 Posts
Range testing will vary with every single test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEKTRUM
With the model on and resting on the ground, stand 30 paces (approx. 90 feet) away from the model. Face the model with the transmitter in your normal flying position. Place the transmitter in the range test screen (see above) and pull and hold the trainer switch on the top of the transmitter. This causes reduced power output from the transmitter. You should have total control of the model with the button depressed at 30 paces (90 feet).
90 ft is roughly 27 meters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Google search
1 meter = 3.2808399 feet
How are you measuring your range distance, BY EYE or by steps?. If you are satisfied with your full range test then do not worry about a COUPLE OF FEET of difference in your range test measurements.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; May 14, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old May 14, 2010, 04:18 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,397 Posts
ebay 6100e

Quote:
Originally Posted by micman75 View Post
just bought a cheap AR6100e from ebay. supposed to be brand new but came without a box or bind plug. Does anyone know of any fake or factory seconds Spektrum Ar6100?
Could you share the link with the rest of us so we can beware? I have a friend who just purchased 2 AR6100E on ebay from hong kong, and I'm wondering if it's the same deal?

$11 + 16 shipping?

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Old May 14, 2010, 04:50 PM
Joined Aug 2009
190 Posts
I used number of paces, and a measuring tape. the difference is 8 meters, not just a few feet. I am happy though with the full range test, as I use them in small planes.
a friend of mine bought 20 of the same receivers from the same seller and he claims they all passed the range test, so I 'm not sure if it's my testing method or just a bad batch...
Old May 19, 2010, 08:39 PM
Joined Aug 2009
190 Posts
just an update, range tested over 20 of these with no fuselage, in ideal conditions. got 80-100 paces, but genuine ar6100 was able to keep signal for over 180 paces. my conclusion: these are either factory seconds or clones.... I got them for 33AUD with free shipping on ebay....
Old May 19, 2010, 08:43 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
I would contact Horizon Hobby about it and see what they say.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old May 19, 2010, 10:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
190 Posts
I have contacted them... they have asked that I send the receiver in for testing. I have only bought 2, so the cost of sending it to the US from Australia would not be worth it. I will just use these for very small planes. My friend has bought 20, so he might send it into horizon to see what they say.
Old May 20, 2010, 07:09 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,376 Posts
When I had a problem, I only had to send the Rx to Horizon in the UK, not the US. The person you contacted probably didn't realise that you weren't in the US.

Have you tried your local office ?
http://www.horizonhobbies.com.au/contact.asp

I think horizon would be very worried if someone was selling sub-standard clones or seconds, as it would undermine their reputation, and they'd be keen help you send these in.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old May 20, 2010, 08:09 PM
Joined Aug 2009
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
When I had a problem, I only had to send the Rx to Horizon in the UK, not the US. The person you contacted probably didn't realise that you weren't in the US.

Have you tried your local office ?
http://www.horizonhobbies.com.au/contact.asp

I think horizon would be very worried if someone was selling sub-standard clones or seconds, as it would undermine their reputation, and they'd be keen help you send these in.
that link seems to point to a different Horizon Hobbies in Australia. I know of no local Horizon/spektrum office in Australia
Old May 22, 2010, 12:00 AM
Joined Dec 2009
45 Posts
Ignoring the old "it's too good to be true" adage I ordered one myself. Upon recieving it my first thoughts were "its fake" I put it side by side to an AR6100e I had and it is slightly larger. I did some test and it binded fine. Yet to range check one.

As far as i was aware no one has "cracked the code" to produce cloned or fake DSM2 recievers so i'm at a lost of the origin of this unit. perhaps it is a factory second?
Phroz is offline Find More Posts by Phroz