SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 13, 2010, 09:52 PM
Joined May 2010
14 Posts
Discussion
How to achieve 5 mile range?

I have a 1W 2.4 Ghz transmitter for my camera. I'm currently using a 72Mhz 6ch Futaba transmitter. My plane is a .40 nitro powered trainer.

I'd like to achieve a range of 5+ miles. I know I'll need a UHF system for my control, but what about video?

Is this possible?
xrisnothing is offline Find More Posts by xrisnothing
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2010, 10:58 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
I would stay far, very far, away from using nitro powered planes for FPV. Crashing a Ez or another foamy in a suburban area is one thing, crashing a nitro plane with fuel onboard is another, NOT recommended, the risk of fire and severe injury is magnitudes greater! Please consider what you're doing and the risks when things do go wrong!

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 13, 2010, 11:22 PM
Crashy McLandington
Northern Colorado
Joined Dec 2005
590 Posts
Cue JettPilot in 3..2..1..

bob loblaw is offline Find More Posts by bob loblaw
Old May 13, 2010, 11:36 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
Cue JettPilot in 3..2..1..

lol.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old May 14, 2010, 12:12 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,715 Posts
Sorry I am late guys, but better late then never !!! You can easily do more than 5 miles, with the plane you are flying, what you need is a UHF control system, as you already know. Your video system is also perfect for 5 miles or more, use the 1000 mW lawmate 2.4 GHZ transmitter, and get a 15 dBI yagi antenna for your video receiver ( From L-Com ) and you will be ready to go. Work your way up to long range and dont fly over city. Its harder than you think, so dont try it on your first flight or you may loose your plane. Good luck !!!

For the best long range UHF control system, go to

http://www.dragonlinklabs.com

Hope that is big enough for you to click on Sander

Mike

To the moderator that gave me a warning point for advertising, I have not done any advertising or posted my website to the forum for over a week, and I quote from the PM that was included with the warning.

" Reason: Excessive advertising (Spam)
We allow one advertisement per week per forum per user. An advertisement is any content designed to sell or publicize an event, good, or service. Note that certain areas of the site (including the classifieds and vendor sections) are exempt from this rule. "

Why would you go to the trouble to give me a warning point where no rule was broken ? I have posted a complaint in the support forum to get the warning point removed. If you have a specific concern, a simple PM to me would have been welcome and I would have been happy to work with you. But you giving me an unfair warning point while ignoring the rest of this thread is something I will not quietly accept.

Mike
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Last edited by JettPilot; May 14, 2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:37 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,597 Posts
lol

thanks for the L-Com link
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old May 14, 2010, 09:02 AM
Joined May 2010
14 Posts
Will I need an amplifier or some other power source for the yagi antenna?
Old May 14, 2010, 09:05 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrisnothing View Post
Will I need an amplifier or some other power source for the yagi antenna?
No, apparantly all you need is the Dragonlink, that will turn each and every RC plane (even the $49,95 cheapo RTF foamies at Walmart) into a reliable long range FPV plane that'll make it halfway around the globe. Mike says so, hence it has to be true ... if not, he's the guy to talk to, he seems very confident that Dragonlink is a life saver in all cases

Cheers,

Sander.
Old May 14, 2010, 09:55 AM
Crashy McLandington
Northern Colorado
Joined Dec 2005
590 Posts
Walmart has $50 foamies? BRB..
bob loblaw is offline Find More Posts by bob loblaw
Old May 14, 2010, 10:35 AM
Joined May 2010
14 Posts
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=21894

Is this the appropriate antenna for the video receiver?
Old May 14, 2010, 11:16 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,715 Posts
That is the correct Yagi to use, but I think it is the wrong connector, you do not want the Reverse Polarity. Check your video RX, but I beleive you want the connector with the center pin inside on the antenna, you see the link you posted is the one without the center pin. It will screw onto your RX, and appear fine, but there will be no connection with the antenna and the performance will be horrible It will work a little bit, but you probably wont get a mile if you have the wrong connector.

Mike
Site Sponsor
Old May 14, 2010, 11:20 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
No, apparantly all you need is the Dragonlink, that will turn each and every RC plane (even the $49,95 cheapo RTF foamies at Walmart) into a reliable long range FPV plane that'll make it halfway around the globe. Mike says so, hence it has to be true ... if not, he's the guy to talk to, he seems very confident that Dragonlink is a life saver in all cases

Cheers,

Sander.
Xriosnothing is using a glow trainer which is great for long range FPV, and a video system which is also perfect for long range, I dont know where you got $ 49.95 cheapo RTF foamies from The fact that you were so desperate to make a statement that you changed the facts suit what you said is a little bizzare. You seem to be more hostile than usual Sander, are you having some bad days ? No worries, it happens to us all

Mike
Site Sponsor
Old May 14, 2010, 11:25 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Xriosnothing is using a glow trainer which is great for long range FPV, and a video system which is also perfect for long range, I dont know where you got 50 dollar RTF from The fact that you had to change the facts to make your statement is nothing short of dishonest. You seem to be more hostile than usual Sander, are you having some bad days ?

Mike
It is alright Mike, don't fret, you apparantly don't pick up on the humor and sarcasm in my post, which is not surprising as you seem to not pick up on a lot of stuff these days. It could be you really start needing glasses, are simply ignorant, or just don't get it, the latter two is where I'm betting on.

I suggest you just keep spamming those 25pt font links everywhere and I'm sure folks will get the message

Cheers,

Sander.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:37 PM
Central Connecticut
Joined Jan 2010
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
It could be you really start needing glasses, are simply ignorant, or just don't get it, the latter two is where I'm betting on.
Guys, can you both stop this rude sniping back and forth and just discuss the fun stuff: FPV Flying? This kind of discussion wasn't interesting in the sandboxes of childhood, and it's definitely not interesting to anyone else besides yourselves.
HariEdo is offline Find More Posts by HariEdo
Old May 14, 2010, 06:49 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,597 Posts
A patch will get you 5 miles and you will be able to fly around yourself better than the yagi

without haveing to turn the antenna so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrisnothing View Post
I have a 1W 2.4 Ghz transmitter for my camera. I'm currently using a 72Mhz 6ch Futaba transmitter. My plane is a .40 nitro powered trainer.

I'd like to achieve a range of 5+ miles. I know I'll need a UHF system for my control, but what about video?

Is this possible?
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22