HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2010, 08:08 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Discussion
A Great Afternoon at the FM

I want to thank my friends for coming out to fly this afternoon. It was great to see everyone and I really enjoyed watching Frank fly my new Mystress. Sang came out and flew his Tabooish. He was riding some nice air and seemed to really enjoy the wonderful afternoon. Mihai came out even though he isn't feeling well. He watched for a while before he went home to suck down a bottle of Pepto. Greg flew his Mystress some and he flew his Jamaican Royal Air Force plane as well.

I learned a lesson the hard way tonight. I had been flying with expo programmed in and Frank and Greg showed me the error of my ways in a couple of AULD rounds. Once I took the expo out I managed to redeem some of my honor. Not having the expo in there really did give me a better feel for the airplane.

It was a great evening of flying with good friends.

While I have your attention I need to let you know about my good buddy Greg. Last year at this time I'm not even sure he knew what a DLG was. He now has a couple of planes and his flying skills are pretty serious. Keep an eye on this guy or he will blow right on by all of us.

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Last edited by The_Builder; May 14, 2010 at 05:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2010, 12:13 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,449 Posts
Sounds like it was a blast. I hope I find the same kind of folks 'round these parts.

Mihai, hope you get to feeling better quickly!
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old May 14, 2010, 05:45 AM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
If you can find a group this wonderful consider yourself very fortunate.
Old May 14, 2010, 08:50 AM
Greg Short
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Jul 2008
294 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Paul. It's pretty cool to have this many people around in to this. I will not repeat it but I think Mihai had not only the quote of the night, but maybe the quote of the year

Oh yeah, how's the weather up your way Jerry? Oops, don't want to turn this into another pick on Jerry thread
gshort72 is offline Find More Posts by gshort72
Old May 14, 2010, 09:25 AM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
I may use that quote in my Blog or something.

I came off the field and Mihai said something similar to "Man you can build but you fly like S&*^&*^T!" I almost fell down laughing.

Here are some shots of Frank with the Mystress
Old May 14, 2010, 09:50 AM
GARNER NC
Joined Apr 2009
442 Posts
Sorry I missed out. Have to work afternoons. I know the thermals where nice. I watched some of the masters come out of there roost at about 9:30 in the morning. I watched 2 of them work a thermal untill I lost them in the cloud base. Also watched a Buzzard play in the afternoon before I went to work. He was in a thermal about 3000' up when he turned into the wind and folded his wings and went into a dive then he would open his wings and float backup. Then would do the same thing again. The Buzzard did this about 4 or 5 times. Then turned around and went back to the thermal it had just left did about 5 or 6 turn and started doing it again. It was neat to watch.
I will be heading out to the FM on Saturday about 1:30. Should be a good day with a cold front comeing thru in the afternoon. Could make for some good lift out in front of it.
Hope to see a few people out there.

Kevin
kunclebuc is offline Find More Posts by kunclebuc
Old May 14, 2010, 01:07 PM
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2006
1,476 Posts
I think that what I told him was that "You can't fly worth a s**t, but you sure can build". This came after l watched him cruising around for a while, hit a bubble, not notice it at all, and get out of the bubble altogether and keep cruising like nothing happened . In his defence, when this happened he was under the plane where it's hard to see if you hit lift, while I was at the edge of the field with a perfect side-view. Also, the bubbles were not strong by any means - this was 5pm or so, so no plane flipping inverted sort of a bubble.

I did think that it's strange - all the builders I know (Oleg, Phil, Jonas, Tom, etc.) fly great, and there are also great pilots that don't build (say Jun, Bruce, Frank, etc), but I don't know of anybody that builds but can't fly except for Paul .

Regarding the plane - she has long, beautiful legs. OK, I don't know about beautiful, but certainly long - it was fast and ranging up and down the fields effortlessly - there was about an about 7mph breeze (give or take 1-2mph) and I didn't notice much of a difference going upwind or coming back - very efficient fast glides.

Also, after Frank got it, I had also proof that it can thermal . I did see Paul go up in a good size thermal earlier, but Frank got it to climb in the small stuff. It climbed pretty well in what seemed to be squirrel farts .

I didn't trust myself with the sticks yesterday - a handful of drugs don't make for a clear head, and a steady hand and I was worried that I'll stick her into a tree.

Best,
Mihai
Mihai is offline Find More Posts by Mihai