SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 13, 2010, 02:22 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
Discussion
best module radio for the buck

so i have a dx5e. its great and all but recievers are expensive . so i need something cheaper. i want a module based radio that i can get a spektrum module and the corona or assan module for. those both seem pretty cheap on hobbyking. i don't need like 12 channels or anyhing but i would like 7-9. and i want it to be cost effective. so under $200. if you have a suggestion thats more post it but it better be pretty impressive. like i said spetrum rxs are to expensive and i want to be able to use cheaper recievers but still have a decent radio.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2010, 04:00 PM
In love with aviation
Joined Apr 2010
387 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_%28Mode_2%29
plus your module
flying-things is offline Find More Posts by flying-things
Old May 13, 2010, 05:12 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Apr 2003
416 Posts
A used JR would be great. X-347, X-388, XP-8103 etc...

I have an X-347 I'll sell. All the functionality of a DX7 and then some!

I'm using an X-388 with a Spektrum module and I love it.

Send me a PM if you are interested.
tdriedger is offline Find More Posts by tdriedger
Old May 13, 2010, 05:24 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,643 Posts
Optic 6(NOT the sport version) or Eclipse 7
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old May 13, 2010, 05:36 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
so you all lost me with the names. i know about the turnigy one but i heard that its hard to program or has issues with it. i want like actual reasons why the radio is a good idea. like what does it have? what makes it better than similar ones. and on the jr ones can you elabroate a little? i'm a little new to the radio side of this. i don't know very much.
Old May 13, 2010, 09:22 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Agreed with mcross, Hitec Optic-6 and Eclipse are very good deal on price and features and can be upgraded to 2.4Ghz easily with many Futaba/Hitec modules if you want to do so down the road. So many peoples are jumping to Spektrum types, you can find very good used deals these days
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old May 13, 2010, 10:54 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwardflyer View Post
so you all lost me with the names. i know about the turnigy one but i heard that its hard to program or has issues with it. i want like actual reasons why the radio is a good idea. like what does it have? what makes it better than similar ones. and on the jr ones can you elaborate a little? I'm a little new to the radio side of this. i don't know very much.
There are essentially no new module radios except the Turnigy 9x and its equivalents by other names. It's very good value and can be made to work well but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone new to radios. Radios today are virtually all dedicated 2.4 units and having chosen you are committed to buying your receivers from that manufacturer. I fly JR X9303 myself (Spektrum receivers), but I also have a JR 783 with Fly Dream module that works very well and has $21 receivers.

As for choosing, you're going to have to figure out which of the radios are available and do some homework about their merits for your purposes. Then you will be able to ask specific questions people can answer.

These are all excellent radios, high quality with good programming. Any of them would do what you need.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 13, 2010, 11:19 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
okay so would i be able to use the hobbycity assan module with the eclipse 7? i google imaged it and i like the way it looks and where the display is.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:04 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
so i looked through the assan thread. and it looks like the futaba module works with the optic 6 and eclipse 7. i think i want to get one of those. they seem pretty decent. is there something i'm missing here though?
Old May 14, 2010, 12:14 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcross View Post
Optic 6(NOT the sport version) or Eclipse 7
Definitely Hitec Optic or Eclipse are the best without any doubt.
Also, for cheap alternative, forget Assan and Corona, the new winner is FrSky.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old May 14, 2010, 12:16 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
frsky? where can i get their recievers? and i think i'm getting an optic 6. i but a lot from hobbycity so thats why i was going with assan, and their stuff seems pretty good.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:20 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,945 Posts
Seems...
Dude, I talk about radio system on par with the grands, built with same chips as Hitec radio system, and true FHSS, not that jokes from the stone age of 2.4ghz...
You can get from here, for example. Even with $10 separate shipping you are equaly cheaper or less as Hobbyking:
http://www.himodel.com/search.php?psearch=frsky

Read here more:
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/2.4ghzshootout.shtml
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/frskyreview.shtml
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old May 14, 2010, 07:52 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
If you want 9 channels in a modular Tx then these days your only choice for a new Tx is either the Hitec Aurora9 or the FS/Eurgle/Turnigy 9X.

The Hitec Aurora A9 is a very advanced Tx from a quality manufacturer with an excellent reputation for support and service in the US. It is good value given its capabilities BUT there are no off-the-shelf modules for it other than from Hitec themselves. Their Rx are reasonably priced, a bit below equivalent Spektrum Rx but not as inexpensive as Assan/FrSky/FlyDream. If you went down this path you could sell off your Spektrum Rx and convert entirely to the new solution. Note that there are threads showing how to adapt a 3rd-party Tx-module to the Aurora9 so it is certainly feasible to get the Tx and use it with an inexpensive Chinese module + Rx.

The 9X is quite capable but only has 8 model memories and is of relatively low quality with no support and shaky warranty. Any of the 3rd-party JR-style Tx modules should work with it. IMO it is not a good choice for someone new to the game unless you like tinkering with the electronics to fix shonky assembly, soldering and wiring.

The other options for 8-9ch would be second hand Tx including Futaba 9C, JR 387 (or similar) and JR 9303. The F9C or JR9303 would be the leading choices IMO with the 9303 having the edge if you want to fly helis. With those Tx you can choose amongst the many JR-style/Futaba-style Tx-modules and their matching Rx. The leaders would be Assan, FlyDream and FrSky. Of those I think I would choose FrSky if buying today.

If 6 channels are enough then definitely the the Hitec Optic6 (not Sport) offers a lot of features for the money, is good value and like the Aurora9, comes with Hitec's great reputation for service and support in the US. Combined with a Tx module and Rx from FrSky or FlyDream and you will have a very capable entry level 6ch solution with a reliable 2.4GHz link.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old May 14, 2010, 08:56 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
ya i don't need 9ch. i think i want the hitec optic 6 or eclipse 7. thanks for the links. i'm gonna look into those.
Old May 14, 2010, 09:33 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwardflyer View Post
ya i don't need 9ch. i think i want the hitec optic 6 or eclipse 7. thanks for the links. i'm gonna look into those.
Whether you need nine channels is not the point. What really matters is whether the transmitter has the necessary features. In a sense, number of channels is the manufacturer's symbol for capability of the transmitter.

Nowadays:
4 or 5 channel = basic transmitter, usually not programmable
6 channel = basic programmable transmitter
7 channel = more advanced transmitter that will do all the major stuff
9 channel = Tx with greater flexibility and more memories (top end of the mid-range)
12 channel and more = Deluxe transmitters

(Note that the Turnigy, etc. 9x doesn't really fit this classification)

You are probably right to be looking at the Hitec 6 and 7 but understand that it's NOT just a question of whether you need a particular number of channels.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66