HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:33 AM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Thanks Jim for taking the time to answer my questions.

This sounds like it'll be the versatile radio out their.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:11 AM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
The 8ch sailplane is $100.

If I understand correctly, the new 6ch Rx won't support full telemetry (no data port) so there won't be a $30-$40 solution for electric flight with full telemetry such as are offered by others, Hitec for example.
Yep, full telemetry will start at $60, looks like. That's why I suggested this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoder View Post
Ok. Sounds like there's room for and demand for a 6 or 7 channel receiver with telemetry in the lineup, doesn't it? Maybe at the $40 or $45 price point?
And by the way (speaking for myself and putting words in kgfly's mouth ), just because we question and push a bit on features doesn't mean we don't think this is shaping up to be the best system out there. I love my iPhone - but it's also jailbroken.
bsoder is offline Find More Posts by bsoder
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:01 AM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Our telemetry system has always used separate telemetry sensors. Up to 64 sensors can be daisy-chained together, with the first unit plugged into the telemetry port. Sensors can be virtually anything. We have had do-it-yourself plans on our website for several years. We will be releasing a "sensor" that lets you plug in any of the Eagletree sensors and/or the Hitec sensor station. This gives you literally dozens of already available sensors that you could use.
Eagletree are outstanding devices and very cool that you will be able to integrate with them. What I, and I think other electric flyers really want is an easy and inexpensive way to get telemetry and an alarm on our main pack voltage. The SPC in the A9 7 and 9 channels gives me that functionality with no additional components. Having to use an Eagletree would be overkill and a bit pricey if that's what is needed with the new XPS to get the same fuctionality. Do you know of a simpler, less expensive way to add that voltage telemetry with XPS?

I've been using the XPS A9 module and some nano's with my foamies and really like it. I'm sure I'll pick up the new XPS and/or A9 motherboard regardless, but if I can't get my pack voltage alarm in a reasonable manner I don't know if I could move all my balsa stuff over to XPS.
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:02 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
Quote:
Yep, full telemetry will start at $60, looks like. That's why I suggested this.

And by the way (speaking for myself and putting words in kgfly's mouth ), just because we question and push a bit on features doesn't mean we don't think this is shaping up to be the best system out there. I love my iPhone - but it's also jailbroken.
ooohohhhhhh!!! jailbroken iphone!!!the shame of it! Apple will be so dissapointed in you...

and me.im typing on tether with jailbroke iphone.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:42 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
The 8ch sailplane is $100.

If I understand correctly, the new 6ch Rx won't support full telemetry (no data port) so there won't be a $30-$40 solution for electric flight with full telemetry such as are offered by others, Hitec for example.
Hitec's 6 channel Minima receivers are $44.95, are much larger/heavier and do not support telemetry or firmware upgrades.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:47 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
ooohohhhhhh!!! jailbroken iphone!!!the shame of it! Apple will be so dissapointed in you...

and me.im typing on tether with jailbroke iphone.
hehe... tethering? Apple will be disappointed in you, but the cellular mafia will break your kneecaps for that.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:55 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42 View Post
Eagletree are outstanding devices and very cool that you will be able to integrate with them. What I, and I think other electric flyers really want is an easy and inexpensive way to get telemetry and an alarm on our main pack voltage. The SPC in the A9 7 and 9 channels gives me that functionality with no additional components. Having to use an Eagletree would be overkill and a bit pricey if that's what is needed with the new XPS to get the same fuctionality. Do you know of a simpler, less expensive way to add that voltage telemetry with XPS?

I've been using the XPS A9 module and some nano's with my foamies and really like it. I'm sure I'll pick up the new XPS and/or A9 motherboard regardless, but if I can't get my pack voltage alarm in a reasonable manner I don't know if I could move all my balsa stuff over to XPS.
The interface box that lets you plug in any Eagletree sensors or Hitec sensor station can also be used to measure the battery voltage used to power the motor (which is what I assume you mean by "main pack").

The problem we have is miniaturization of our receivers to keep them small enough to be useful in all applications. When you do that, you lose space for connectors.

What we could do is change the B/T port so that it always supplies the power for the receiver electronics and then require separate power (through a Y-cable) to power your servo bus off of one of the servo channels. I don't see this as being practical. This was something that we were going to start doing and everyone complained about it. Because they didn't want to use two power inputs - which is what you are talking about.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:39 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,201 Posts
Quote:
The interface box that lets you plug in any Eagletree sensors or Hitec sensor station can also be used to measure the battery voltage used to power the motor (which is what I assume you mean by "main pack"). - The problem we have is miniaturization of our receivers to keep them small enough to be useful in all applications. When you do that, you lose space for connectors.

What we could do is change the B/T port so that it always supplies the power for the receiver electronics and then require separate power (through a Y-cable) to power your servo bus off of one of the servo channels. I don't see this as being practical. This was something that we were going to start doing and everyone complained about it. Because they didn't want to use two power inputs - which is what you are talking about.
Yes by "main pack" I mean the battery powering the motor, which for me is my only battery on my electrics. I set low voltage alarms per model currently with the A9 which has come in very handy. I don't think Eagletree makes a "voltage sensor" since their main unit handles that. The Hitec sensor station with their voltage sensor could work I guess. Either way semes a bit pricey and cumbersome to me however.

I certainly don't think you should consider changing rec to require multiple voltage inputs as there is just no need. With Hitec SPC I think they had to do it because of higher voltage requirements and it just so happens a side effect was a very useful feature for me (low voltage alarm).

Would there be a way to create a small sensor unit which could read voltage and input directly to the XPS rec which would be fairly inexpensive perhaps?
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:46 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42 View Post
Would there be a way to create a small sensor unit which could read voltage and input directly to the XPS rec which would be fairly inexpensive perhaps?
voltage or mAh consumed? I'd rather have the latter.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:54 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
421 Posts
Quote:
Powering the servos and receivers together is a much safer way to handle power, providing you can handle very low voltage (which our receivers do). However, I do like safety, so our new receivers have a separate secondary power input as a backup. This input is not measured for voltage, but I can look at perhaps making this possible.
Jim, is the secondary power input for the receiver alone or also for the servos? I agree that the jumper on the SPC port is a potential source of failure, but that's true for any connector. There's always potential for failure, and surely it's possible to use a reliable jumper or design a similar circuit that is jumper-less.

Imperfections of the SPC port aside, the idea of the SPC is really good in my opinion. The main battery voltage is valuable information for anyone flying electric. I don't need to know the current or RPM or temperature. It would be kind of cool, but it's just not important since I'm not pushing the envelop with anything. Voltage is always important since that impacts the longevity of the battery (and possibly the nature of one's landing!). It's possible to use timers and fly very conservatively, but that's kind of tedious. I'd rather just fly until the battery voltage drops to a particular value. As such, it would be nice to have that as a built-in feature of the receivers. Just my vote.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:25 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
Quote:
voltage or mAh consumed? I'd rather have the latter.
as packs wear out, they lose capacity... and because LVC and available thrust is actually about available volts, the voltage is most important. mah is handy though.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:39 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
Fair enough. Either one would work.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:43 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
mah used is pretty cool because when the voltage alarm goes off you can soo how much you've used and have a pretty good indication of pack health (be able to see the decline, etc)
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:52 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
The thing about a voltage alarm is the dips under heavy load. Kinda like measuring how much gas is left in your tank by whether your engine sputters.

Do you know if the XPS telemetry sensors will require another bit of hardware? ie. with spektrum you have the separate module (TM1000, etc) as well as the sensor.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:58 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
Quote:
The thing about a voltage alarm is the dips under heavy load. Kinda like measuring how much gas is left in your tank by whether your engine sputters.

Do you know if the XPS telemetry sensors will require another bit of hardware? ie. with spektrum you have the separate module (TM1000, etc) as well as the sensor.
it's looking that way... mostly as it's a little box that lets you play with sensors from Hitec and EagleTree... XPS's own sensors would plug right in as far as I know.
Closed Thread