HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2010, 08:59 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
Discussion
M-60 Hinging

Hi - building my fist plank, a M-60, read through a bunch of threads - doesent seem to be a consensus on the best hinging method - filament tape on bottom and clear packing tape on top or is Blenderm top and bottom OK too?
asat is offline Find More Posts by asat
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2010, 09:13 PM
If it ain't broke, fix it.
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
I'm in the same boat right now. I'm almost done with my first layer of 5mil laminating film on my M60 wing, and hinging is coming tomorrow.

I was thinking of using this 5 mil laminate as a strip on top, with another strip on the bottom, conformed onto the drag spar and bevel of the aileron. I'll probably put down thinned goop in those areas first.

I'm curious about the recommendations, so don't mind me while I lurk and learn as well.
Hasher66 is offline Find More Posts by Hasher66
Old May 12, 2010, 09:27 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
On my UberMoth (which was covered in Ultracote) I used packing tape to make tension hinges (alternating pieces of over & under). Took a while to do but the results were awesome! The elevons moved very freely yet precisely. There was no slop like you sometimes see in two-piece hinge jobs.

Lance
hydrogin is offline Find More Posts by hydrogin
Old May 12, 2010, 09:29 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
Hasher -Got any Pics? You go first and I'll post some too!
Old May 12, 2010, 09:33 PM
Jim in San Diego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,090 Posts
This has been covered in one of the moth/M60/Raven threads and I think Matin is recommending clear heavy duty duck tape top and bottom. You should be able to find it by searching this forum with "clear Duck". I'll see if I can find a link.

Jim
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old May 12, 2010, 09:37 PM
Jim in San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,090 Posts
Try this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...k#post13624605

You may have to hunt around a bit but there's some funny stuff in there too while you're looking

Maybe Matin will chime in to help with the latest info or the expert Louie will
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old May 12, 2010, 10:23 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,784 Posts
On my heavy JW60 (bottom hinged top actuated), I covered the plane with Solar-film, then used strapping tape stepped hinges (5 pairs per side plus a span hinge over each, then covered the whole plane with 10 mil laminating film, extending the film over the hinge to the TE. Totally smooth bottom surface and rock solid hinge. (JW has done 185 mph DSing).

Highly recommended for moth/M60 but you could use lighter film to save weight.

Cheers

Roger.
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old May 12, 2010, 10:38 PM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasher66 View Post
I'm in the same boat right now. I'm almost done with my first layer of 5mil laminating film on my M60 wing, and hinging is coming tomorrow.

I was thinking of using this 5 mil laminate as a strip on top, with another strip on the bottom, conformed onto the drag spar and bevel of the aileron. I'll probably put down thinned goop in those areas first.

I'm curious about the recommendations, so don't mind me while I lurk and learn as well.
Actually my Moth, M60 and Raven have been covered with 5mil laminating film. All three planes are using strips of lam film for hinges and they work great. absolutely no delam issues and all is smooth and clean and invisible.

Gary
garyg4rc is offline Find More Posts by garyg4rc
Old May 12, 2010, 10:43 PM
altitude adjustment
USA, CA, Irvine
Joined Mar 2005
493 Posts
I built a Moth last year and used silicone hinges for the first time with great results. Goop works really good too. I'll never use tape again.

mark
thumbhead is offline Find More Posts by thumbhead
Old May 12, 2010, 11:05 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyg4rc View Post
Actually my Moth, M60 and Raven have been covered with 5mil laminating film. All three planes are using strips of lam film for hinges and they work great. absolutely no delam issues and all is smooth and clean and invisible.

Gary
This is where I was going as well. Good to hear that it's been flight tested.

Stupid question, but is there a FAQ that will tell me how to post pics? Can I just upload, or do I have to use something like photobucket. I've never posted pics before...
Old May 12, 2010, 11:13 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,563 Posts
For the M60 I would recommend tension hinges followed by a compression hinge using the Duck brand packing tape. Use at least 3 sets of 3-1" wide tension hinges. The compression hinge should be at least 1" wide.
This will give you absolutely no slop at the hingeline and will work with bottom, top, or center hinges.
Proven to 234mph.
Here are a coupla pics.

1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2010, 11:28 PM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
884 Posts
All three planes are bullet proof and have been exposed to some very rocky landing areas. I have had several midairs and crashes with not a single issue. At our last combat session the Moth midaired with an 85" combat wing and that huge wing came down. The Moth also fell out of the sky with no damage, I tossed it back out.

BTW, Posting pics are easy: Go to Advanced, then to Manage Attachments and Browse to wherever you have your pics stored on your computer then Upload.

Gary
garyg4rc is offline Find More Posts by garyg4rc
Old May 12, 2010, 11:57 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Joined May 2004
5,785 Posts
Although one cannot always recommend one technique for all conditions, it is hard to beat the "Duck" brand of clear packaging tape for hinging the M60.

1. It's easy to apply (lengthwise top and bottom).
2. It's strong enough for most conditions (in 8 years of flying NCFM planes never had a hinge failure).
3. It's easy to repair and/or replace (if it leave a residue over time, clean it with acetone).

You could use other brands, but I've found the "Duck" brand to be the most resistant to tear and UV rays.

So there......

Matin
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old May 13, 2010, 12:24 AM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyg4rc View Post
BTW, Posting pics are easy: Go to Advanced, then to Manage Attachments and Browse to wherever you have your pics stored on your computer then Upload.

Gary
Thank you very much. I've only waited 6 years to try this.

As you can see, I'm just finishing up curving the edges down on the top. I'm planning Ultracote over this layer, and then another 5 mil laminate layer to cap it off.

WRT hinging, it appears there as many ways to do this, as there are covering the plane itself.

I'm gonna flip a coin.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:21 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
I guess I'm a little closer to completion, just need to install horns and linkages and do the setup..... I decided to use the Duck Tape hinge, although the Wal Mart I went to didn't have either of those Part Numbers - my roll says HD Clear and on the front the P/N is 2008/33883 but on the inside of the roll it is 2008/35025 ?? seems to work well enough, we'll see if it holds up.......

Lou, in Pleasant View....
Last edited by asat; May 13, 2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:25 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asat View Post
Hi - building my fist plank, a M-60, read through a bunch of threads - doesent seem to be a consensus on the best hinging method - filament tape on bottom and clear packing tape on top or is Blenderm top and bottom OK too?
Stay away from Blenderm! It is way too stretchy for hinge-line application. Your hinge-line will walk all over and that's not good! I used cross-hatched filament tape on top and bottom.
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old May 13, 2010, 08:32 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
I've used Blenderm and agree. It works but there are other options I prefer.

I still like tension hinges. They aren't sexy but they work better than the single top/bottom lengthwise tape IMHO.

Lance
hydrogin is offline Find More Posts by hydrogin
Old May 13, 2010, 08:36 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Joined May 2004
5,785 Posts
Quote:
..... I decided to use the Duck Tape hinge, although the Wal Mart I went to didn't have either of those Part Numbers - my roll says HD Clear and on the front the P/N is 2008/33883 but on the inside of the roll it is 2008/35025 ?? seems to work well enough, we'll see if it holds up.......

Lou, in Pleasant View....
For those interested, the original Duck brand Crystal Clear High Performance is hard to come by ever since Walmart stopped carrying it about two years ago. In the meantime we've been using the Duck HD Clear and can't tell the difference! It seems to be the same thing renamed.

BTW I love the color scheme. I think my next one will be a polka dot too.

Matin
is always looking for good graphics. They make our hobby "funner".....
Old May 13, 2010, 08:43 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATIN View Post

Matin
is always looking for good graphics. They make our hobby "funner".....
So am I..... especially since I have the 48 and 60" HP's that are next in line...... hmmmm...... maybe some flames.....
Old May 13, 2010, 08:46 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Joined May 2004
5,785 Posts
Quote:
So am I..... especially since I have the 48 and 60" HP's that are next in line...... hmmmm...... maybe some flames.....
Nah!!!!......It's been done.
Get creative man!

Matin
Old May 13, 2010, 08:54 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
Yeah - I shoulda used rolleyes, I was being facetious, I might try some water splashes, or maybe something from "Hawaii Five O" or some other surfin motif.....