HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2003, 09:28 PM
ElektroRC.com - MSH,LAHeli,YGE
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,608 Posts
Another, "help me select my next heli" thread!

Hey all,

Well, I've made room for a spot in my fleet. Some thoughts:

I have some extra parts:
-electron receiver
-4 hs85mg+s
-gy-401
-kontronik 40-8-12
-hacker c40-12s
-TP 4s4p (too much for this esc, I know)
-Kontronik fun 600-18

I was looking for something smaller than the Logo10 to whip around the backyard or the gym. I've also been looking for something bigger than a Logo 10... Well, I also have enough Logo parts in the bin for a couple crashes. (Dooh, I probably shouldn't have said that ) So, I'm contemplating another Logo, maybe streatching it, and working the smaller one in the backyard anyway.

I dropped the Raven idea due to comments from another guy in the club, but I also now have a lead on a cheap Voyager E, and possibly a relatively cheap Logo10. (My cheap Raptor fell through..)

Or lastly, scrap all the parts on the list and go with something alltogether different (Logo20, Raptor,or ??)?

What I'm looking for is something that I don't have to pay an arm and a leg to repair, or hunt down parts (will Mikado parts be better with Hacker as distributor?) , as I will be trying more daring stuff (for me)...

So, what would you do? Or any other thoughts? (Don't you like spending other peoples money ) Thx!!!

-P
pwkpete is offline Find More Posts by pwkpete
Last edited by pwkpete; Jun 10, 2003 at 12:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2003, 09:49 PM
Enter clever saying here~
Michigan
Joined Mar 2003
494 Posts
Perhaps a Kyosho EP Concept?
Park_IT is offline Find More Posts by Park_IT
Old Jun 09, 2003, 09:54 PM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,608 Posts
Funny I really enjoyed the EP, but to start doing the things I'm practicing now, like inverted (intentionally!), it doesn't cut it without more messing around than I want to do...
Old Jun 09, 2003, 09:58 PM
Enter clever saying here~
Michigan
Joined Mar 2003
494 Posts
Hey - I was serious

I only know of CP helis that are spoken of on Ezone. Mostly Logo 10, 20, Rappe, VoyagerE, etc -

I've only seen the EP Concept pop up once or twice - perhaps there's a reason for it...

I'm sure you'll have no problem getting your fleet to full strength again.
Park_IT is offline Find More Posts by Park_IT
Old Jun 09, 2003, 10:11 PM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,608 Posts
You probably haven't been paying much attention, or had problems finding them in the mess of Corona threads....

Ok, back to the regularly scheduled program...
Old Jun 09, 2003, 10:27 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Pete you could use just about everything you just took out of your Concept in the Robbe Eolo.

If you decide not to go ahead with the cheap Voyager pass the lead on to me. Or if you do follow up on one of your leads sell the Concept components to me

Joe
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Last edited by JoeR; Jun 09, 2003 at 10:30 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2003, 11:02 PM
Apex, NC
Joined Jan 2002
1,492 Posts
Raptor 50,

After considering gutting the Hacker out of my Corona and building an EP concept I said Nah.

Consider:

1) The local nitro guys were available and flying Raptors 30,50,60 and could help me fly and check out the Raptor.

2) The Raptor has to be the cheapest heli to fix. Most of the parts are as cheap as or cheaper than the Corona for a far more expensive part to make (i.e. the machined main shaft vs. a piece of music wire). The Raptor is very crash $$ resistant. Lots of 3rd party upgrade parts.

3) www.electraflight.com makes a great conversion. Easy road map to follow for conversion here on ezone.

4) I was very fortunate to get one in process for a significant savings.

5) After watching K.C. fly his, it was impressive to see a 8 1/2 lb 20 cell monster with a turbine jet engine sound.

6) When someone like LVRCFlyer nearly quit flying his logos to fly the Raptor, that spoke volumes to me.

This will be my last heli for a long time (like my Orbit Pro charger). Lots to do and learn before moving to something else (not sure what there is to move on to except for something different, not more capable).

Won't fly it in my yard though. Too much liability compared to the Corona.

Victor
vkmaynard is offline Find More Posts by vkmaynard
Old Jun 09, 2003, 11:23 PM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,608 Posts
Victor,

I am very aware of the RappE stuff, been staring at it since the first posts came out. All the guys in the club fly Raptors here too. Well one has a DNHP 90 that he likes to fly more now but that is a different story . They have lots of spares, in cases of emergency, which I neglected to mention... This is why I had been very strongly considering a RappE. (I also recall Jason mentioning that he missed his Logo20 a little!)

I really really like the Logo. Everyone likes to check it out because it's different, and it flys great. My parts supply is a big plus too, along with the batteries and extra motor and servos, for about $400 I could have have a streatched Logo10.

You see my dilemma!

Joe,
You'll hear from me, I have your email address

Thx for the comments you two!
Last edited by pwkpete; Jun 09, 2003 at 11:41 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 04:36 AM
Honolulu Intl, Hawaii, United States
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
I was gonna say go with the Voyager E but looks like you're gonna get into heavy 3D soon which supposedly the VE is not the best for but how about a Pro Piccolo or Cp Hornet, you can go crazy with those in your backyard. If that's too small for your taste, grab the VE, smooth machine, I'm sure you could set it up to do some solid 3D, talk to GMRO, I think he's the only one I seen hovering the VE inverted yet. Of course, I'm nowhere's near close to 3D, hehe, just barely gettin into short bursts of fff but since you already have a Logo, I'd say go ahead and add that VE, I think you'll love it!

Parts and upgrades are super easy to get and the quality of the machine is awesome in my opinion.
Astro30 is offline Find More Posts by Astro30
Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:48 PM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,608 Posts
Astro,

I didn't mention I have a CP Hornet, didn't really count that, as it doesn't take to wind too well.. Thanks for the VE comments!

So:
RappE - 1
VE - 1
Old Jun 10, 2003, 02:20 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
Actually I didn't take notice you were considering a RAppE, the Rappe sounds like a great idea, probably the only advantage that the VE would have over that is that it's smaller and maybe a little better suited for your backyard.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 02:26 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Pete, You've ruled out the Robbe Eolo? Too small?
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Jun 10, 2003, 02:54 PM
NJ
Joined Jan 2002
157 Posts
Eolo

Did you check out Eolo ? That seems to fit in what you are looking for
Hifly is offline Find More Posts by Hifly
Old Jun 10, 2003, 03:52 PM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,608 Posts
I haven't completely ruled out the EOLO. There are 2 things I don't like about it, the CF struts, and the nasty R-22 canopy/fins, which are only slightly nastier than the VE canopy (GMRO VE canopy is very nice though.) No offence to anyone that likes them, they just don't do it for me. I know there will be a Spirit canopy out in a few months, but I don't believe you can get a kit with that canopy/fins instead. It's also still kinda new, so parts and suppliers are still a little bit of a question.

A great upgrade would be to replace the CF strut mount that attach to the frame with one that you could screw on 'real' struts, like the VE or ECO. After looking at the construction manual, it doesn't seem like it would be a tough part to make...

Astro, I was flying in the backyard to learn nose in and fig 8s, the backyard has been great for a quick 'fix', or when the state birds (mosquitoes) have taken over the sod farm 3 blocks away they're not quite as bad by my place. It's not manditory, just a plus, I could live without it...

-P
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:18 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
No offense taken here, I agree that the stock VE canopy isn't the best looking, doesn't look to bad with a nice color on it though. I just ordered myself a Micro V canopy, that one looks much better.