HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2010, 10:19 AM
Semi-world famous!
USA, TX, GRAND PRAIRIE
Joined Oct 2003
1,015 Posts
Discussion
120" Big F'n Bee

Well after loosing my Bee a few years back, and divorce and relocation to Texas, ect, ect, ect! I have decided to build another 120" Lazy Bee. Taking what I learned on the first one, as well as learning a new to me, or old as it were, covering technique, Fabric and dope (thanks Everett). The costs are mor inline to what my budget will handle

I have most if not all the wood needed. I have a couple of changes, from the last one, in mind. Landing gear, horizontal stab and elevator thickness, I need to hide the servos in this version.

Power will either be a DL100 or Reaper GR85CC on 12S 10000 MaH, with a 160 or 200 Amp controller, I have both systems less the controller. As I get to the fuse I will make that decision.

Control will be Spektrum Rx, I have a Seiko Monster servo for the rudder ,1800 in oz on 3S 2100 lipo, and power HD servos, 284 in oz, for the elevator.
Click the Pirate is offline Find More Posts by Click the Pirate
Last edited by Click the Pirate; May 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2010, 03:00 PM
United States, LA, Bastrop
Joined Jun 2009
35 Posts
Good luck. I will be watching. Are you going to post photos of your build?

John
JohnWatts is offline Find More Posts by JohnWatts
Old May 12, 2010, 03:13 PM
Semi-world famous!
USA, TX, GRAND PRAIRIE
Joined Oct 2003
1,015 Posts
Yes I will be taking pics, might even start tonight, so you can see how messy my garage/ shop really is...lol
Old May 12, 2010, 08:42 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,686 Posts
First do you really need that big of a servo on the rudder? This is not that big of a plane...

In the same line I also don't think you'll need that much motor and ESC.

What is your projected weight? Seems like you are way over powering this but I got flamed for saying someone else needed more power in this forum...
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old May 12, 2010, 09:22 PM
Semi-world famous!
USA, TX, GRAND PRAIRIE
Joined Oct 2003
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
First do you really need that big of a servo on the rudder? This is not that big of a plane...

In the same line I also don't think you'll need that much motor and ESC.

What is your projected weight? Seems like you are way over powering this but I got flamed for saying someone else needed more power in this forum...
Evan, need has little to do with this project... LOL

I have all this stuff already, why not use it, the Rudder is full flying and 2 foot x 2 foot. On V1 it is no longer with us because the rudder failed and stalled the 2 805BB servos that were ganged together on the pull pull system, there was so load on the 5 cell 3300 MaH NiMh battery that I had no control and the plane went in, so I feel that it will work getter with this large of a servo on its own 3S 2100 Lipo battery.

I will always over power my aircraft, I am a 3D pilot , or at least I try...lol Having said that, its easier to throttle back than it is to wish I had more power.

Projected weight will be around 30 lbs. V1 was way too light, its all up weight was 23lbs. I feel at 30lbs it will be a much better plane.

In case you were wondering the main wing has 5040 Sq inches of wing and the elevator is 66 inches wide, I don't remember the cord of the stab/elevator combo, but its freaking HUGE!!!

Feel free to ask questions or give me your input, I am always happy to see different opinions and I will give you my reason why I am building it the way I am. I don't claim to be the be all, end all, when it comes to building these planes. All input is appreciated!
Old May 13, 2010, 12:53 AM
Joined Mar 2010
21 Posts
that's a great idea!! keep us posted, I'm in the middle of a 40" bee myself, its coming along great, I did half the laminations tonight. I'd like to know how stable a photo platform that bee will be, with the huge wing area you could lift some serious equipment up there.
FrostyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by FrostyFlyer
Old May 13, 2010, 06:04 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,686 Posts
Cool, keep us posted.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old May 13, 2010, 12:26 PM
Semi-world famous!
USA, TX, GRAND PRAIRIE
Joined Oct 2003
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyFlyer View Post
that's a great idea!! keep us posted, I'm in the middle of a 40" bee myself, its coming along great, I did half the laminations tonight. I'd like to know how stable a photo platform that bee will be, with the huge wing area you could lift some serious equipment up there.
A Bee is a great platform for photos, huge wing a fairly large fuse, the only issue is ground clearance. However if you wanted to leave a bay open on the bottom, I am sure you could make that work.

Bees love to fly slow and will hang on a thermal for ever! I have had my 60" electric bee in the air for over 45 mins. only reason I landed was because the transmitter batter was low.

I wll be adding pics as this goes along, I laminate different that most. may not be a smooth as using a form, but I think its faster and works just as well.
Last edited by Click the Pirate; May 17, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old May 14, 2010, 09:14 AM
South Africa
Joined Dec 2007
207 Posts
subscribed, :-)
Bobbo is offline Find More Posts by Bobbo
Old May 14, 2010, 11:30 AM
Port Orchard Washington
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
subscribed i expect some good pics though but it should be amusing to see that big of a wing being covered do you have a spare cloths iron to do the covering
gaexcalibur is offline Find More Posts by gaexcalibur
Old May 14, 2010, 11:34 AM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Nice project Click!!

I love to see old classics with new "giant" twists!!
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old May 14, 2010, 11:41 AM
Semi-world famous!
USA, TX, GRAND PRAIRIE
Joined Oct 2003
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaexcalibur View Post
subscribed i expect some good pics though but it should be amusing to see that big of a wing being covered do you have a spare cloths iron to do the covering
I have a local guy who is gonna show me how to cover with fabric and dope, so I have no idea how all that works, stay tuned, I will be going to his house the 2nd weekend in June for my lessons!!

Thanks again Everett, you ROCK!!
Last edited by Click the Pirate; Jul 27, 2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old May 14, 2010, 09:25 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,600 Posts
Silly! I've already given you your first lesson! Ditch the plastic stuff! :-D
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old May 16, 2010, 10:02 PM
Semi-world famous!
USA, TX, GRAND PRAIRIE
Joined Oct 2003
1,015 Posts
Ok gents! I have officially begun the build.

I have one elevator half done and sanded. The other is drying.

Hang on this is gonna go pretty fast!!
Old May 16, 2010, 11:06 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Man.. That puppy is going to be HUGE!!!

Think you'll have this ready for the trip to FLI?
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull