SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2010, 10:11 AM
Joined Dec 2008
41 Posts
Discussion
UK to France FPV

Anyone flown to France from the UK with an FPV?

Is it possible?

What equipment would you need to achieve this?
srjs is offline Find More Posts by srjs
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2010, 10:22 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
Quote:
What equipment would you need to achieve this?
Any fpv setup can acheive it if you follow behind in a boat!!

If you want to stay on dry land it can be done with high power equipment but it wouldn't be legal so I doubt anyone will admit to doing it.
Fergus is offline Find More Posts by Fergus
Old May 12, 2010, 10:34 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,050 Posts
A chase boat, an efficient glider, big batteries for transmitter and plane, and a few barf bags for the pilot sitting in the boat

I think this has been done before with an electric model of a TOUCANO from UK to France (non FPV), I think this was 3-4 years ago .

I don't doubt with the current technology for electric flight this would be much of a problem.
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old May 12, 2010, 03:29 PM
Joined Dec 2008
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
A chase boat, an efficient glider, big batteries for transmitter and plane, and a few barf bags for the pilot sitting in the boat

I think this has been done before with an electric model of a TOUCANO from UK to France (non FPV), I think this was 3-4 years ago .

I don't doubt with the current technology for electric flight this would be much of a problem.
If a flying wing can go up to 150mph, it shouldn't take to long either right?

Those fun jet's go pretty quick too do they?

I'm guessing a flight from weston-super-mare to cardiff would be pretty straight forward.

Anyone seen any videos of above sea attempts?
Old May 12, 2010, 05:19 PM
My other vehicle is unmanned
Joined Jan 2010
1,392 Posts
srjs Are you thinking of going into the smuggling racket then
fpvnick is offline Find More Posts by fpvnick
Old May 13, 2010, 01:33 AM
Joined Dec 2008
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvnick View Post
srjs Are you thinking of going into the smuggling racket then
LOL, It would be a great challenge for certain, but no smuggling involved

I guess I should get set up to manage FPV for 100m's away before I set the challenge of 25+ miles.

But... What equipment would I need
Old May 13, 2010, 02:40 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
what's the distance? 25 miles?
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old May 13, 2010, 03:21 AM
Norge
Joined Feb 2009
437 Posts
"The distance between England and France over the English Channel known to the French as "La Manche" is twenty one miles or thirty four kilometres at its shortest point. The shortest point or where both countries are nearest is between Dover in England and Cap Gris Nez in France. From then onwards both the coast lines start curving inwards and away from each other making the gap wider. The widest the Channel gets between the two neighbours is two hundred and forty kilometers or a hundred and fifty miles.

The English Channel is five hundred and sixty three kilometres or three hundred and fifty miles long. The English Channel is not known to be deep; in fact it is just forty five meters deep between Calais and Dover. It achieves its greatest depth at its widest part which is a hundred and twenty meters. "
Capy-Norway is offline Find More Posts by Capy-Norway
Old May 13, 2010, 04:04 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
hmmm ... so I've got the EzUHF that should be able to make it. so should the plane if I have tailwind. I guess that's something for 2011
Old May 13, 2010, 05:17 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,034 Posts
With a few patch antennas set up atop the cliffs of dover (where the first British radar was set up in WWII) you might be able to track the plane all the way across the channel even with legal power gear. Since you are flying in a straight line, away from your launch point it is possible to have the on-board gear antennas aimed back and the ground based gear aimed towards the plane and have control and track the flight all the way across the channel.

I'd certainly try the gear on the ground first, but it would be a real achievement to do it without a boat.

Just a thought, while having my morning coffee.

Hmm... I wonder which way the prevailing winds blow.

BTW. There is a chapter in the fantastic book "On Being a Bird" by Philip Wills, that describes flying radar tests in WWII using his Minimoa out over the channel. The whole book is great reading, but the radar stuff is quite interesting in itself. Wills was the 1952 world champion glider pilot and wrote about three books on glider flying. I read On Being s Bird while learning to fly (full sized, both power and sailplane) and it was a great inspiration to me.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old May 13, 2010, 05:20 AM
Joined Dec 2008
41 Posts
This would be pretty cool to acheive. Could this be a new record?
Old May 13, 2010, 05:52 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
PeteSchug: Apparently you don't know what legal power means in europe
Old May 13, 2010, 06:07 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,867 Posts
Ever hear of Maynard Hill?
Across the Atlantic with a model plane. (UAV)

http://www.memagazine.org/backissues...el/amodel.html

The channel wouldnt be that hard.
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old May 13, 2010, 06:16 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,050 Posts
I bet if organized properly there would be loads of sponsorship available. specially from the shops that advocate 10mW is enough for FPV.
Maja could be a plane (foam floats good).

Maybe the Daily mail could arrange another 1000 prize for the first to cross the channel on FPV, the same price in money they offered to Bleriot when he crossed the Channel.

would that e cool, Fanfares ! Fame ! worldwide press covering the events, a world tour to show off the pilot and his magnificent flying machine, a convoy in a open top car in the middle of NewYork with tons of confetti thrown from the sky scrapers

Aaaaah...

where did I leave my tablets ???
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old May 13, 2010, 06:34 AM
Joined Dec 2008
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Ever hear of Maynard Hill?
Across the Atlantic with a model plane. (UAV)

http://www.memagazine.org/backissues...el/amodel.html

The channel wouldnt be that hard.
Blooming heck - Uk to france should be easy now I've read that... Best start building!

GPS eh....