Old May 12, 2010, 06:59 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,203 Posts
Build Log
Super-Skyflex Elektro, a Rogallo Kite Plane

Hi guys,

I want to start a build log of my newest brainchild, an Electric rogallo plane.
It is not the newest idea, and neither the first of it's kind, but I like this type of planes. More than 10 years ago, I built a glow version, which works reliably to this day. But nowadays, armed with powerful chargers and A123 cells, the hassle of glow is not needed any more. Additionally, our new airfield does not allow glow planes.
The overall construction is supposed to come out quite similar to the glow version.
The wingspan is going to be around 170cm, the weight will be ~2000g.
But as I want to increase the prop diameter, I chose to install a pusher drive on the second vertical boom at the back of the fuselage, in a comparable position like the little orange italian plane has.
The boxy fuselage will consist of two halves: The lower half will hold the RC stuff, and the upper part will hold 8 A123 cells. Later, I will install a dummy fuselage nose at the front, as only the box would look plain ugly.

I attach some pictures of my glow Super-Skyflex, a rough CAD sketch of the planned version, and an image of the italian design.

Cheers,

Julez
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Last edited by Julez; May 12, 2010 at 07:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2010, 07:47 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,203 Posts
Fuselage

The fuselage consists of 3mm poplar playwood, the front and the rear frame are 3mm birch plywood.
A frind of mine owns a CNC mill, and the serration came out beautifully!

The inside is reinforced with 163g/mē glass, and the outside with a layer of 110g/mē and 25g/mē.
I covered the outside with florist's plastic film afterwards. So when the resin is cured, it peels of cleanly, and there is a glossy surface without the typical glass texture, so there is hardly any need of sanding.
Last edited by Julez; May 12, 2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old May 12, 2010, 07:55 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,203 Posts
Tail

The tail is made of yellow 3mm Coroplast. Inwards, it is reinforced either with 2mm music wire (blue) or 2mm glass fibre rods (grey).
The parts are fastened with zip ties to the 10x10mm aluminium boom. The zip ties always go around a music wire inside the coroplast, so that the force is spread nicely.
As a bushing for the tail wheel mounting wire, I have rivited a brass pipe into the aluminium boom.
The control horns are always screwed on between 2 reinforcement rods, which take the compression stress from the Coroplast.
Old May 12, 2010, 08:07 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,628 Posts
Very cool, Julez. Brilliant idea with the florist's film. I just want to clarify that you lay the glass on with epoxy, then put the film over the top of it, and then peel the film off when the epoxy is cured? There is no danger of the film getting stuck to the epoxy?
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old May 12, 2010, 08:17 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,203 Posts
Hi!

Yes, that is exactly the way on more complex structures.
When I build light tails for gliders from balsa, I laminate the glass directly on the film, then press it on the balsa.
But for the fuselage with all the interleaving layers, I laminated first, and then put the film on.

It took me quite long to find such a perfect film. It does not stretch in all directions like saran wrap, it is highly glossy, free of any manufacturing residures on the surface, and it peels of totally easy. No effort needed at all, better than the paper on the back of stickers.

I use this method on all glassing jobs on surfaces. If possible, I apply constant pressure with a pad of sponge rubber. Then the result gets even neater.
Old May 17, 2010, 12:14 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,203 Posts
Today, I decided to make the sail exactly the same size as the old plane had. Originally I planned around 10% smaller.
This has the advantage, that I can use the old sail for test flights, should the new sail not be ready until the weekend, where I plan to attend a big airshow.
I used the landing gear of the old plane, too, until I will build a new one.
So I finished quite some stuff today. I finalized the dimensions of all sail struts and aluminium pipes. I built some small metal parts neccessary for the construction, and I built in the servos, and got the linkages ready.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 01:33 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,203 Posts
New Version

Hi!

Meanwhile, I had finished the plane, but it did not fly too well. It was rather havy.
So, I decided to disassemble the above version and to build everything new.
The new version, weighs 500g less, and offers other benefits as well. I installed a selfwound Scorpion motor, this time in pull configuration. It produces far less noise now.
The flight caracteristics are excellent, just the way the glow version is.
It pulls 37A on a 4s A123 pack, and gives 10min flight time before my Jeti telemetry warns me when 1750mAh are used up.
6-7m or runway are needed for a start, and the climb rate is pretty good.
So is the maneuverability, as long as the motor runs. When gliding, rudder reaction leaves something to be desired, but that is not a big problem, once one gets used to it. I could handle the plane and the camera simultaneously.
The CG position is rather unproblematic, it flies equally well with a 3s 2200mAh LiPo pack, which is half the weight. So, with 2 of those or a 4000mAh pack, one could double the flight time. I think I will do this in the future as well.

I will make a hood for all the electronics and the battery, and a new sail, too. The old spinnaker one is rather worn out, and the new one will be made from "Contender Sailcloth". This is an exellent material.
Last edited by Julez; May 06, 2012 at 04:04 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:59 AM
Joined Nov 2007
12 Posts
Iformation required

I want to build a rogllow wing plane, jsut like your glow version. Would you please share some specification data on your glow version .. as wing span, total weight of the plane, engine used, and specially the matertial used for the wing (rod and fabric) I will be really thankful for the data

Tariq azhar
taqrc is offline Find More Posts by taqrc
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:42 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,203 Posts
Hi Tariq,

The wing (or Sail) is made of so-called spinnaker nylon. It is normally used for kites. Something between 30 and 40g/mē should do.

The outer tubes are made of 8mm aluminium tube. All tubes mentioned have 1mm wall thickness.
The center tube is 12mm.
The upper struts are 8mm as well, the lower struts are 6mm.
The vertical front tube is 15mm, with 1,5mm wall thickness.

The motor is an OS 52 something with 8ccm.

Total weight is 2.5kg.

The tail tube is custom made from carbon fibre tubes. But I recommend using 15mm square tube.

When I have time at the weekend, I will make some more photos and check the dimensions for you.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:04 AM
Joined Nov 2007
12 Posts
Thanks

Thanks a lot for the information.. i will really help me to build one for me. I will be obliged if you send some dimension of the sail (span, length etc) and I have an OS-46 engine would you recommend it to use for this plane. And the weight you mentioned here is it with or with out engine ??

Thanks once again for quick and positive response...
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:46 AM
Joined Nov 2007
12 Posts
Information Required

Hi,
would you please post some picture, to see how did you managed the nose joint and the clamping of struts ins side pipes...

Tariq azhar
Old Dec 07, 2011, 07:11 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,203 Posts
Hello Tariq,
my apologies for not replying quickly. My engineering school has several exams and presentations due before christmas, so my time is a little limited at the moment. But be confident that I will supply all information needed soon.

As a teaser, here is a aerial video I made some time ago:

Aerial video: Haiyin LiPo Pack testflight with my SuperSkyflex rogallo plane Part 2. (20 min 31 sec)

Cheers,

Julian
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:19 AM
Joined Nov 2007
12 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the video and yes i am waiting patiently, for the said information.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:29 AM
Joined Jan 2007
88 Posts
thanks also

Also waiting for the plans. Wishing you good luck on your test. captnDon
Captn Don is offline Find More Posts by Captn Don
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:29 PM
Joined Jan 2007
88 Posts
Ich Wunsche

Ein frohes Weihnachtfest und alles gute zum neuen jahr. Captn Don