Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
This thread is privately moderated by Lafayette, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by SpleenRippa
Yes, right there.
Comox, BC, CAN
Joined Jul 2003
584 Posts
Is there a fellow Canuck out there that can verify whether or not Dollarama carries this wrapping (seeing as how they have the readiboard...) ?
SpleenRippa is offline Find More Posts by SpleenRippa
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:39 PM
Find More Posts by Lafayette
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpleenRippa View Post
Is there a fellow Canuck out there that can verify whether or not Dollarama carries this wrapping (seeing as how they have the readiboard...) ?
Tried to look it up, but no inventory details..BUT I found this:
http://giftfavoursunder5.blogspot.com/
Scroll down to the second article mentioning the $1 clear wrap!!!
No phone numbers are listed online for stores.

So we decided that we were going to make M&M, caramel apples. We needed the following:1.1. 1.Caramel cubes (30oz) Bulk Barn $7 $
2. Apples--- 9 apples for $3 No Frills $3
3. M&M party pack 1kg for $12.99 $13
4. Skewers 12 from $1 Dollarama $1
5. Ribbon $2 from Dollarama $2
6. Clear wrapping paper $1 from Dollarama $1

http://www.dollarama.com/store-locator/
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:51 AM
Find More Posts by vinnieg
United States, NJ, Edgewater
Joined Feb 2012
219 Posts
Lafayette,

I just wanted to let you know that I have been using this technique with great success over the last few months. Thanks for the great idea! See my post here for one of my creations.
vinnieg is offline Find More Posts by vinnieg
Old Jul 01, 2015, 07:22 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnieg View Post
Lafayette,

I just wanted to let you know that I have been using this technique with great success over the last few months. Thanks for the great idea! See my post here for one of my creations.
You are welcome, and great to see my idea was some help. After a long absence because of major health reasons, I am back in the game.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 07:04 PM
Find More Posts by p51mustanglover
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
61 Posts
is this 3m77 a spray? after trying to search for it, i get tape and spray stuff thats super expensive....anyone ?
p51mustanglover is offline Find More Posts by p51mustanglover
Old Sep 24, 2015, 04:02 AM
Joined Nov 2009
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p51mustanglover View Post
is this 3m77 a spray? after trying to search for it, i get tape and spray stuff thats super expensive....anyone ?
3m77 is a spray, not really that expensive, and will go a long, long way... You do not need much , just a light spray...
$9.98 at lowes...
http://www.lowes.com/pd_41209-98-77-...ductId=3033222
Old Feb 08, 2016, 08:23 AM
Find More Posts by OrangutangSurfer
Joined Apr 2015
9 Posts
Is this still a thing?

I was about to buy some monokote and went searching for putting in on DTFB. I have some DTFB floats I want to make water proof (obviously) I've tried different glues, min wax etc I always end up with a leak. the coating would ensure a seal (or at least a better seal &#128521

anyway... then I stumble on another cheap DT find for some clear film. Is this still being used? Do they still sell it? could it work for the bottom of the floats? would the water just cause the film to delaminate (can I even do this with monokote?)

the real answer is I should probably suck it up and buy some foam floats, but I made a design that I can resize for any plane and I can build them out of one sheet of DTFB so they are CHEAP 😊

any advice? Thanks in advance.

PS here is the file if you wanna make some floats! I suck at sketchup so if printed at 100% this will make 20" floats, do the math and print to scale to fit your needs. I've gone as big as 26" but still the problem of waterproofing 😕
DTFB Floats - Prototype Testing (4 min 21 sec)
OrangutangSurfer is offline Find More Posts by OrangutangSurfer
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:25 AM
Joined Nov 2009
1,277 Posts
Should work just fine. Just make sure you overlap the covering at least 1/4 ".
Also depending on the materials used you could consider using Krylon Fusion for plastics. You could as well use clear stencil material, or the clear plastic page separators they sell for students at Walmart. Very cheap, and stronger than the covering if yoou land on the floats on sand etc... I have been working on floats for my Phantom3, wide as to not obstruct the camera. I will post on my blog when they are done. Carbon fiber spars foam, plastic, removable of course. An I also want to use that set of floats on fixed wing that I already have. Pleas post your results, and good luck.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:34 AM
Joined Nov 2009
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutangSurfer View Post
I was about to buy some monokote and went searching for putting in on DTFB. I have some DTFB floats I want to make water proof (obviously) I've tried different glues, min wax etc I always end up with a leak. the coating would ensure a seal (or at least a better seal &#128521

anyway... then I stumble on another cheap DT find for some clear film. Is this still being used? Do they still sell it? could it work for the bottom of the floats? would the water just cause the film to delaminate (can I even do this with monokote?)

the real answer is I should probably suck it up and buy some foam floats, but I made a design that I can resize for any plane and I can build them out of one sheet of DTFB so they are CHEAP 😊

any advice? Thanks in advance.

PS here is the file if you wanna make some floats! I suck at sketchup so if printed at 100% this will make 20" floats, do the math and print to scale to fit your needs. I've gone as big as 26" but still the problem of waterproofing 😕
]
Nice job, I have not been building lately and I miss it. Busy working on a skin on canoe of my design, cover with 20 mil vinyl , clear . or 8oz dacron and keep it white . I really want to try the clear vinyl as to totally expose the frame. I also plan some day to build a wood model covered in totally clear as well, such beauty in the structures...
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by AdrianM
United States, FL, Land O' Lakes
Joined Mar 2001
1,269 Posts
I get how you stick this stuff to the model with 3M 77 but how do you get the overlapping areas to stick to each other so the seams don't pull apart when you shrink the material?
AdrianM is offline Find More Posts by AdrianM
Old May 15, 2016, 10:29 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I get how you stick this stuff to the model with 3M 77 but how do you get the overlapping areas to stick to each other so the seams don't pull apart when you shrink the material?
1st, if you do a good job stretching the film, you do not really need to heat shring it.
2 concentrate the heat source on the open spots /not glued to solid parts.

Hope that helps. i never had a problem as shown on the vid trials, to this day it is still taught, and there was no overlapping to secure it.