HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Lafayette, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 15, 2010, 03:02 AM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Here are pics of the rolls of covering film and the holographic sheets.
Also visit:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post15091778
About the hot wire foam cutter I made earlier in 30 minutes.
Enjoy,
Lafayette.
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; May 15, 2010 at 12:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2010, 09:30 AM
United States, WI, Holmen
Joined Aug 2003
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
Here are pics of the rolls of covering film and the holographic sheets.
Also visit:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post15091778
About the hot wire foam cutter I made earlier in 30 minutes.
Enjoy,
Lafayette.
Awesome... Thank you! I went down to my local "dollar store" (it's actually a Dollar Tree) and found several rolls (same label as the photos you provided) of clear, a roll or two of gold and one roll of red. Bought the red for a project I have planned for later this summer...

Thanks Lafayette
BGauweiler is offline Find More Posts by BGauweiler
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2010, 02:14 PM
Out the Window
North Central Florida
Joined Jul 2004
1,271 Posts
This looks like a good/cheap way to cover some foam. I have seen some outstanding wrapping paper in the dollar store. How do you control the spray on adhesive? Do you spray it on the wrapping paper or the foam? When you apply heat does the spray adhesive become more liquid again?

Sorry for all of the questions, but the last time I used spray adhesive (3-M type) it was everywhere! I wonder if you could use another type of adhesive.
High Flyin' is online now Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old May 15, 2010, 07:24 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin' View Post
This looks like a good/cheap way to cover some foam. I have seen some outstanding wrapping paper in the dollar store. How do you control the spray on adhesive? Do you spray it on the wrapping paper or the foam? When you apply heat does the spray adhesive become more liquid again?

Sorry for all of the questions, but the last time I used spray adhesive (3-M type) it was everywhere! I wonder if you could use another type of adhesive.
I just sprayed the 3M77 on the foam. I know the stuff is sticky!
It seems to have dried nice and clear on the foam. I never tried spraying the film directly but it is definitly worth a try. I had in mind to paint the film on the inside with plastic spray paint so I never did spray the inside with glue.

Let's see what others are going to use for adhesive and the results! Now we can buy glue insted of a square foot of monokote!!!

Let us know what you use and the results, let's see what yields the best results for foam, balsa etc... I think using this stuff as covering is really going to strengthen the depron, ready board or FFF. At this price any foamy project can be covered.

Lafayette
Old May 15, 2010, 08:56 PM
September 2010
United States, OR, Lakeview
Joined Oct 2009
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin' View Post
How do you control the spray on adhesive? Do you spray it on the wrapping paper or the foam? When you apply heat does the spray adhesive become more liquid again?
On my small test I just sprayed it on the covering but if it was a bigger project like a wing I would put the adhesive on the wing. Hard to hold the small part that I did in one place Once I put a warm iron on the covering the adhesive becomes soft and grips the surface below. Hoping that someone will try this covering on a balsa frame.
Outback Joe is offline Find More Posts by Outback Joe
Old May 15, 2010, 11:46 PM
3Disaster
Las vegas nevada
Joined Apr 2007
277 Posts
Oh very nice idea!
nerdc0re79 is offline Find More Posts by nerdc0re79
Old May 16, 2010, 08:59 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
A friend gets good results putting weird coverings on balsa and carbon fiber frameworks by thinning down Goop Contact Cement, and 'brush painting' it on the frame, followed by the covering. Sometimes need to fold the covering over the frame on the first side. Do not shrink until both sides are covered.

Not for foam though. Goop will melt all foam except EPP.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old May 16, 2010, 09:43 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
I decided I needed a test bed for the clear film and the holographic film.

I had in mind to make a new ribbed wing for The Slow Stick, but I elected to simply improve the original wing.

I made spars out of ready board 3/4 inch located 3 3/4' from the leading edge, and also a 3/16" spar located 4 1/2 " below the first spar towards the trailing edge. Ends were tapered at the wingtips.
I USED NO RIBS!
I used a piece on FF to mask the edges of the wings as not to spray 3M77 all over the place. Streched the clear gift wrapping film, trimmed it and used the iron to shrink it. That film is so light and easy to work with and $1 for 8 feet...

It looked cool as the covering on the bottom of the wing was invisible. I figured that this should greatly improve the performance of the wing. I asked my kid how I should position the test strips of the holographic film and we agreed to make 2 inch wide strips and glue them on top of the clear film from the LE to the TE. 2 holo. silver, 1 hlo. blue, 2 holo silver. I will place a red strip and a purple strip in each wing as well.
The silver holo. is cool as it continously changes color and the effect is more pronounced than on the color holographic film.
So this is going to be a pimped out Slow Stick!!!

Another thought I had was to glue the holographic film to the wing surface and then cover the wing with the clear film. That is for another time.
When I get a chance to fly we will see what the different films look like and how the wing is holding up with no ribs. It was nice and tight and made the whole wing stiffer and stronger.

I will post pics and video when possible.

I can already see redoing the whole bottom of the wing using either blue holo or all silver holo.
The silver kicks butt!

I did not use ribs or sticks, but let's face it the weight penalty would be of no consequence. The result was a stiff wing even with no ribs due to the fact that the leading edge already has carbon tubes. Just be carefull not to induce wing twist when shrinking the film.

The films are so light, that I think a good idea would be to cover in clear and the apply the holo film on top of that. The reason being that the holo comes folded and if you try to strectch it too much or get the wrinkles out with the iron, it will sometimes affect the coating and make some funky little wrinkles.
May be I was using too much heat on my test pieces? May be I will try using parchement paper placed on top and under the film before ironing it. It has a tendency to stick to paper towels, wood, FF and it damages the finish.
DO NOT USE WAX PAPER! The stuff will stain the film and you will have liquid wax residue on your iron. It will look like your chin after eating a bucket of KFC fried chicken!!!

In conclusion, This new wing should improve the flight characteristics, wind penetration, slow flight performance, stability and hopefully will not have the parachute effect of the un covered wing. Winds are gusty and come out of nowhere around here, and I got tossed around flipped upside down and slamed around!!!! This might help.

And it is only a slow stick (cheap) and a test bed for new ideas. So nothing lost!!!

Lafayette.
Last edited by Lafayette; May 17, 2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old May 17, 2010, 03:41 AM
Mr Windburner
Australia, QLD, Mudgeeraba
Joined Apr 2009
703 Posts
Hi Lafayette
went down to a local cheap shop in the weekend.found some film similar to what you have described. But the cheapest I could find was two bucks for a five meter roll.
Have done some experimenting apply the film to fome. My spray contact adhesive melts fome so I sprayed it onto the film first. Let it dry then applied it to the fome using a heat seal iron.the heat from the iron reactivates the glue sticking it to the fome. When the film is pulled off it takes some of the fome with it. A lot better bond then the tape I have been using.
Thanks Kev
Kevin Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Bennett
Old May 17, 2010, 06:09 AM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bennett View Post
Hi Lafayette
went down to a local cheap shop in the weekend.found some film similar to what you have described. But the cheapest I could find was two bucks for a five meter roll.
Have done some experimenting apply the film to fome. My spray contact adhesive melts fome so I sprayed it onto the film first. Let it dry then applied it to the fome using a heat seal iron.the heat from the iron reactivates the glue sticking it to the fome. When the film is pulled off it takes some of the fome with it. A lot better bond then the tape I have been using.
Thanks Kev
15 feet for 2 bucks, is the equivalent of 6 to 8 feet for $1 here.
Yes, the foam will come off!!! I think it works very well and it is alot better than paying $3 a foot!!! I get a super good bond with the 3M77. By the time I finish placing the film, I can use the iron and not worry about the film coming undone around the edges.

G'day

Thanks for posting,
Lafayette.
Old May 23, 2010, 12:13 AM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Just subscribing so I dont forget about it. Thanks for the idea Lafayette
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:06 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
So, anyone with pictures or comments about their results???

For me, it is holding up extremely well, and the film will take the krylon for plastic paint real well. Covered a foam wing and it makes it super slick for only a few grams of weight!. No heat shrinking needed if you apply it smooth and tight.
The slowstick wing has been in the trees, nose first crashes, an inverted landing, landed in the hay fields, and not one tear.

Post your results!
Lafayette
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:34 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,663 Posts
I like the results you got from your covering Lafayette's but not sure if us Brits can get that film over here but i might just look into that and see what i can come up with
If anyone is interested i've used a different method with my PZ foamies and the PZ Spitfire was the first one i tried with this method,product is Poly-C and if anyone wants to take a look i'll leave a link at the bottom and i hope you don't mind Lafayette as the more methods we have to choose from the better http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1367652
startazz is online now Find More Posts by startazz
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:08 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
I like the results you got from your covering Lafayette's but not sure if us Brits can get that film over here but i might just look into that and see what i can come up with
If anyone is interested i've used a different method with my PZ foamies and the PZ Spitfire was the first one i tried with this method,product is Poly-C and if anyone wants to take a look i'll leave a link at the bottom and i hope you don't mind Lafayette as the more methods we have to choose from the better http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1367652
That is what it is all about, sharing ideas and finding solutions! And as cheap as possible!!!
Try some clear film wrap, try some florist wrap,, or the stuff they use for fruit baskets. Should be pretty similar.
I had watched you video and posted. I enjoyed it, one cool spit!
Good luck,
Lafayette