Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Lafayette, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 12, 2010, 12:52 AM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Cool
Poor Man's Monokote, $1 a ROLL!!!

For new pictures and video visit:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243116

Hello,
I have been testing some film I found at the Dollar Store.
6 or 8 foot roll for $1. The stuff shrinks easily, very light weight, and sticks to the foam really well with a little 3M77. If your local dollar store does not carry the product (see video) you may order it online site to store.
Cheap way to cover any foamie instead of packing tape or to cover a built up balsa project.
I pounded the crap out of my test piece playing the drums with my kids this weekend, and not a sign of of tears, peel off, deformation or anything. The color might not be as intense as monokote or others, but it sure looks fantastic for a buck
I will paint some stripes and see how well the paint sticks to the film.
I will post pics of my projects using this covering and report on durability and color fading, or other issues that could develop. It is even cheaper than packing tape!!!

Also found some holographic wrapping that I will test later.
Stay tunned for updates!

Poor Man's Rc Covering Film (2 min 36 sec)

Poor Man RC wing covering holographic (0 min 44 sec)

Enjoy,
Lafayette.
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; Jul 06, 2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Added video
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2010, 05:54 AM
United States, WI, Holmen
Joined Aug 2003
130 Posts
Photo of roll?

Could you attach a photo of the roll with product name and manufacture?

Thanks,

Bernie
BGauweiler is offline Find More Posts by BGauweiler
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2010, 10:00 AM
September 2010
United States, OR, Lakeview
Joined Oct 2009
332 Posts
SWEET, thanks for posting this. I have a old glider that I wanted to recover in something light weight and will be trying this.

If you can't see the video, the covering that is shown in the video is transparent gift wrapping.
Outback Joe is offline Find More Posts by Outback Joe
Old May 12, 2010, 11:12 AM
USA, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2009
812 Posts
Jeez, for a buck a roll, I can cover my 2 cats! That looks like a heck of a bargain, especially if you just want to get the "feel" of working with coverings of any kind for cheap. Thanks for the tip. I'll see if my Dollar Store (which are all going out of business soon) has any left.
benski is offline Find More Posts by benski
Old May 12, 2010, 12:52 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
thank you for sharing, I love things that do not come from LHS and are cheap! I tried several types of coverings in the past that really didn't work so well, I will be trying this!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old May 12, 2010, 02:10 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

Which dollar store was it. Dollar Tree, Honks, All a Dollar?
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old May 12, 2010, 07:29 PM
Hi I am Mark & I am an addict
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined May 2007
790 Posts
That's a great find for guys like me that do mostly park flying....
mthomas is offline Find More Posts by mthomas
Old May 13, 2010, 12:18 AM
United States, NJ, Plainsboro Township
Joined Aug 2009
214 Posts
Thanks for sharing!!! Just picked some up from Dollar Tree.
kgd1 is offline Find More Posts by kgd1
Old May 13, 2010, 02:19 AM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Which dollar store was it. Dollar Tree, Honks, All a Dollar?
It is The Dollar Tree, where everything is a dollar! Also, Look for some prismatic "Holographic tissue paper. They are in the gift wrap section.
Different patterns 5 sheets 19.5'x27.5' different colors. They also have silver and more. It is actually is all silver holographic on the back sides of the sheets. Want something really visible??? There it is.

The paper is not actually tissue paper, but similars to the film.

I am sure that it would stick to foam with 3M77 and could be streched as well. It would also make great accents on the wings. I will try that on top of the transparent covering as well. If just an accent or pattern on a wing, I will spray the whole wing with polycrylic spray. 3 light coats of that stuff really helps protect the foam and keep the acrylic paint shiny and more resistant to scratches.
After I try it I will post the results.

I have been eyballing the $1 plastic baseball bats for kids! Looks to me like ready made fuselage with a motormount! Toss a quick made fanfold wing on top, KFM may be, and I would not worry about belly landings. I plan on using gap filling expansion foam to fill the bat, placing foam blocks where I will place the servos, esc, battery, etc. That will give the whole thing strenght, and nicely molded spots for all the electronics.( All that of course after finding the CG!!!)

By the way I picked up 15 sheets of poster board (depron) $1 a sheet of course, and the paper came of beautifully.

REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN GO ONLINE TO THEIR WEBSITE, ORDER BY THE CASE DELIVERED SITE TO STORE!

So many Ideas, so little time...

I just love to look for new stuff to work with that is cheap and does the job.
Monocote or other covering at $15 for 5 feet is an absulute ripoff. That stuff should be 4 or 5 bucks a roll. It will cost you as much in covering as the price of Bird of time kit to cover that sucker!!!
That is wrong!

Please, keep posting your results, experiments with the stuff, recommendations and whatever else you want to contribute.

That "covering" seems really strong.
I will leave my test piece in direct hot sun a whole day and see what happens. Then play freesbee withit to see the scuff marks from twigs in the yard.

I bet you that the tranparent gift wrap would take the paint really well on the inside as to protect the finish from scuffs. Gotta try that one too. I am still looking for rolls of clear.

Always keep your eyes opened and think of: "what could I use this stuff for"?

Pool noodle with a "daisy "pattern, meaning they are not just plain round have multiple leading edges of "epp" as long as the noodle. great stuff to put on the leading edges! One noodle, $1

I really feel good when I get something cool for a buck!!!!

Happy hunting,
Lafayette.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:51 AM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
I have been eyballing the $1 plastic baseball bats for kids! Looks to me like ready made fuselage with a motormount! Toss a quick made fanfold wing on top, KFM may be, and I would not worry about belly landings. I plan on using gap filling expansion foam to fill the bat, placing foam blocks where I will place the servos, esc, battery, etc. That will give the whole thing strenght, and nicely molded spots for all the electronics.( All that of course after finding the CG!!!)

Lafayette.
I've seen plans posted on here using a wiffle ball bat for a fuse. I couldn't find the link, I would have posted it.
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
Old May 13, 2010, 09:42 AM
September 2010
Joined Oct 2009
332 Posts
I went to the Dollar store last night to see if they had the poster board (Depron) in stock and they did, got ten sheets also got 6 rolls of the sheeting to test out. Love the prismatic gold and silver. The transparent will look great on a glider that I have that needs recover.

I tried the gold prismatic on my Assassin combat wing and it looks great. I cut a piece and put a very light tack coat of adhesive on the back then attached it to the wing. I smoothed it out with a warm iron and this stuff looks great.

Thanks again for the idea. I will be going back for more wrapping paper later
Old May 13, 2010, 10:16 AM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
I'm buying an assassin and planed on using this on it after Lafayette found it for us. Any pics of it on your assassin?
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
Old May 13, 2010, 06:26 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
My local store was out! I had bought the last rolls...
Called the company main number and they said it was a seasonal item "XMAS" and that it would probably be back in stock around September.
I travelled a bit, 20 miles, and in another store I got 6 roll fo blue, 6 more red and 10 clear. That should carry me for a while!
The rolls are 20 SQ feet, 36'x8 feet.

SO, GOT GET ALL YOU CAN WHILE THEY STILL HAVE IT!

A case is 72 rolls I believe and no shipping charge site to store. Get a couple friends of yours to go on a case. The cases come in assorted colors, but the company could not tell me what colors or how many of each color in a case.

Got my 150 popsicle stics for 1$! Good for reinforcements and mix epoxy! Cheaper than going to Starbucks and buy a coffee so you can load up on the stirs!!!

Let us know about your projects and post pics.
Lafayette.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:10 AM
September 2010
Joined Oct 2009
332 Posts
Here is what the gold looks like on my Assassin. I just cut a 2" strip and shot a very light dusting of contact glue on the back. The glue that I used is Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Spray and it is foam safe so you can put it right over the top of anything.

Thanks again for finding this film and posting it here. I wonder just how much money that you have saved us in this hobby.
Old May 14, 2010, 05:37 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Joe View Post
Here is what the gold looks like on my Assassin. I just cut a 2" strip and shot a very light dusting of contact glue on the back. The glue that I used is Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Spray and it is foam safe so you can put it right over the top of anything.

Thanks again for finding this film and posting it here. I wonder just how much money that you have saved us in this hobby.
You are very welcome. Thanks for posting the pictures.
I Just built myself a hot wire cutter in 30 minutes. I will post pictures and video.

1- 6 years old black and decker battery "jump start/compressor" combo rechargeable,
http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...roductID=15582
1- extension cord, an old fiberglass rod of mine,
1- of my guitar strings
2- small alligator clips I removed from something a long time ago.

The compressor part kicks in but does not build pressure anymore, so it is now permanently assigned to cut foam!!!
I cut the extension cord about a foot and a half from the male plug separated the wires and soldered the wires to each of the two battery jumper cable clips. On the other piece of the extension cord, at the end that was cut, I soldered the two small alligator clips.

So the male plug is permanently attached to the unit, and when I want to use it, I plug it in the female plug of the extension cord that ends with the 2 small alligator clips. This helps for storage.

The bow is made of a fiberglass rod like on which i cut a groove 1/4 inch from each end to hold the guitar string in place.

Hooked up the clips to the wire, turned on the box and no light came on... Thought I failed but decided to put a piece of foam on the wire,... and it cut perfectly!...CUTS LIKE A HOT KNIFE THROUGH BUTTER

Free wire cutter with parts that I had laying around, and the beauty of it all is that it is totally portable!!!
Want to cut wings at your local flying field, or when you go camping while wife and kids are taking a nap?

I will post a new thread for my setup and the link will be posted here.

Many pool noodles will end their lives being cut into noses, leading edges, or whatever. Of course: one noodle $1

Next is my vaccum forming table, vaccum bagging setup for glassing my wings. I have pretty much parts and pieces laying around that could work.

1 food saver and bags

I will also buy a a hand pump like the ones used to check the vacuum on cars, 20 to 30 bucks.(Also portable, no power required.)

Already have a shop vac and some peg board, and a decent size portable electric oven.(to bake the plastic for the vaccum forming table)

Today was a great day!

Lafayette.
Last edited by Lafayette; May 20, 2010 at 12:20 AM.