HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:53 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
Tim, do you know if the ones coming in from here on out equipped with the wing spar?

Man, no flying the Rifle for a few months?! Ouch! We have been getting heavy frosts at night for the last week but it warms up to 55 or 60 during the day.
Hey Bajora!

No wing spar. Three strips of carbon fiber "strands" or "towe" (like the Dave Brown stuff) on both the top and bottom of the wing sandwiched under the fiberglass skin. The shipment that just came in (and went out!) and all future shipments will have it.

55 or 60 during the day. Nice!
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:56 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony A. View Post
March or April??? Dude, you need to move south!!! There may be a few weeks in January and February that are too cold to fly (for me anyway) but other than that its year 'round baby!!!
Ha, thanks Tony.

I don't mind the winter. I've lived in the midwest all my life. Not that I enjoy the cold, but it's nice to put the toys away for a while and do other things (I play in an ice hockey league out here - then again, I play in the summer league too!). It's good building season too!
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:58 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wise guy View Post
What's the largest motor this plane will take?
28mm dia. I wouldn't go very much longer than 35mm.

Some motors will require beefing up the wing depending on how many Watts you end up with and how you plan to fly it.

Check my blog to learn all I know about motor choices for the Rifle. I've posted lots of data.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:06 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
Wise Guy, it's not as much a question of physical size as it is power, but a 28mm inrunner motor is about all that's gonna fit.

In its stock configuration you could relatively easily rip the plane apart with too much power; going to the physical size limit is simply not practical because you can get to the airframe's speed limit with much less.

The other thing to remember is that you really need some experience with fast planes to fly this thing, or any pylon-style plane.

Just for the record, I don't have a Rifle but I did just power the wings in half on a little scratchbuild similar to the Rifle with a 24mm 3790kV motor and a 4.1x4.1 prop. That thing was a whole ton faster than any plane I've ever built or flown without even really trying. Fun, but 15 hours of building got me a whopping one minute and ten seconds of flying and one AWESOME crash video
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Dec 02, 2010, 07:13 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,412 Posts
Uhmmm I think I speak for everyone here. Video please

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Dec 02, 2010, 07:30 AM
Did ya'll see that?!?
Elizabethtown, NC
Joined Mar 2009
365 Posts
Yes...please do!!!
Tony A. is offline Find More Posts by Tony A.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:22 AM
Xtreme Nut
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Oct 2005
2,046 Posts
Can anyone let me know if the Rifle will take HS65s? Thanks!
tIANcI is offline Find More Posts by tIANcI
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:50 AM
Did ya'll see that?!?
Elizabethtown, NC
Joined Mar 2009
365 Posts
And are hs55's good enough or do I need something stronger?
Tony A. is offline Find More Posts by Tony A.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 12:14 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony A. View Post
And are hs55's good enough or do I need something stronger?
I used a 65mg for my elevator, so that would be a yes. You will have to do some slight mods to fit a 65 in the wing.

HS-55's are not strong enough. The ailerons on this plane put a lot of stress on servos.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Dec 03, 2010, 04:49 AM
Xtreme Nut
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Oct 2005
2,046 Posts
Johnny ... HS65s for the wing. Need to prop the servo higher or to open up the well a bit? Thanks!
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:08 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tIANcI View Post
Johnny ... HS65s for the wing. Need to prop the servo higher or to open up the well a bit? Thanks!
Yes, but that will effect battery clearance even more. I used the Futaba S3156. I think that was the perfect aileron servo for the app.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Dec 05, 2010, 12:20 AM
Xtreme Nut
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Oct 2005
2,046 Posts
Johnny ... I will prob go with the Futaba then. No need to worry about battery clearance. Thanks!
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:55 PM
Joined Feb 2005
24 Posts
I'm planning on getting the rifle soon. I have a Multiplex BL-480 5D motor and a 37 amp ESC I would like to use. The specs on the motor are 29mm x 46mm and 117grams, 250 watts. Does anyone know if this would be suitable? Also, what the stall speed of the rifle is?
Sting2XC is offline Find More Posts by Sting2XC
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:56 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,599 Posts
FWIW, Tim posted up in the other RIFLE thread that all Rifles purchased from Tower Hobbies from here forward are the V2 with the mods to the wing.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Allusive 2.2M
Old Dec 08, 2010, 09:17 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting2XC View Post
I'm planning on getting the rifle soon. I have a Multiplex BL-480 5D motor and a 37 amp ESC I would like to use. The specs on the motor are 29mm x 46mm and 117grams, 250 watts. Does anyone know if this would be suitable? Also, what the stall speed of the rifle is?
I don't think you'll get a 29mm motor in there, but there are endless 28mm options. Go check out my blog where I posted lots of data and a chart with all the motor/battery/prop/Watts rating combinations I've tested.