HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2010, 02:21 AM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
200 Posts
I am building a Slipso400 off a set of PDF plans. Its cheap, easy to build with no more tools than a hobby knife, razor plane and a good flat sanding block. Due to the stash of balsa I already have lying around this thing will cost me no more than $30 to build.

However, I love the composite body of the Rifle and the T tail. Its listed at $230 here in Oz and that doesnt include any electrics.

Guess I'll just wait and see if my Slipso survives.
Fubar69 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:12 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,787 Posts
Hi Jon nice review.
alpea 41 is online now Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Jul 21, 2010, 04:06 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,854 Posts
This is a cool little plane, and a great intro to pylons.

Great review too!

One thing missing........

This wing needs cf strips!!!

Whether you are using the stock motor or not, everyone is going to set their own throws and it's only a matter of time. Trust me! I'm on m second ARF.

If anyone is considering buying this plane, please look at the Rifle thread for pics and advice for strengthening the wing.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:55 PM
geek.
Joined Jul 2006
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
This is a cool little plane, and a great intro to pylons.

Great review too!

One thing missing........

This wing needs cf strips!!!

Whether you are using the stock motor or not, everyone is going to set their own throws and it's only a matter of time. Trust me! I'm on m second ARF.

If anyone is considering buying this plane, please look at the Rifle thread for pics and advice for strengthening the wing.
Good advice.. I caught Johnny's Rifle disintegration on video. It wasn't pretty.

kittman is offline Find More Posts by kittman
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:42 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Very nice review. Great to see something out there that can serve as a Speed 400 size pylon racer trainer, that is within reason price-wise and can serve as a good introductory model to this particular venue.

I took a Speedy 400 (brushed speed 400 motor, 6x4 folding prop, 8-cell AA NiMH pack) and upgraded it "slightly" as follows:

- Mega 16/15/3 brushless inrunner
- 5.2x4.75 CAM Speed prop
- 3S 2100 Lipo
- Separate HS-55 aileron servos

I have since "detuned" it via a 2S 2200 40C Lipo, allowing some control when flying wide open. I don't dare open it up with a 3S, as originally modified, due in part to ESC problems, due in part to my not having the ###'s to actually try it!

Not trying to hijack the thread. Indeed, the ElectriFly Rifle appears to be very well prepared, looks great, and you don't have to go thought the process I did in making a pylon racer trainer are real performance airplane.

Once again, very nice review on the Rifle and it's a great looking airplane.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:46 AM
Joined Jun 2010
8 Posts
Spektrum Microlite Radio

Would this be a suitable radio for the Rifle?

Spektrum DX7 DSM2 7-Channel Microlite Radio w/3-S285 , 3.5-gram AR6100 Microlite Receiver

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM2720

Thanks!
bmd07 is offline Find More Posts by bmd07
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:58 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,405 Posts
bmd07 - Kinda.

AR6100 are dubious at best, I wouldnt run one in a fast plane. EPP Park foamy/combat slope wing is about all they are good for. Your risking too much otherwise.

Without turning this thread into a radio debate -

If your after a new radio, Aurora 9, DSM2 is old skool and I wouldnt recommend investing in it
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:52 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,905 Posts
Here's something for all you 'pylon' or speed 400 (or whatever you call these things) experts:

I don't really catch any 'bugs' or get hooked on anything-I usually go in moderation. And in R/C I've dabbled in many things (as probably most of you have) including boats, helicopters, sail planes, cars, R/C scale and some IMAC. Outside of R/C and my job I mostly enjoy spending time at home, riding my motorcycle and I also play in an ice hockey league. But I must say that since I've been flying my own Rifle after work it has a little bit consumed me. I found a perfect place to fly in the evening where the sun is mostly at my back. And often, before work I get in a few flights at our local R/C field in the morning. Even though the Rifle (and other planes like it) is not necessarily aerobatic, there's still plenty to learn and plenty to demand your attention. First, there was learning to fly full-throttle the entire flight. Actually, that wasn't so difficult, but it was a bit of a leap. Now, I'm trying to perfect my pylon turns and overall smoothness. First, you have to get the wing vertical, then pull. If your rates are set correctly you'll have confidence to pull the stick all the way back. Then, you have to let go and level the wing just at the right moment. If you time it right you'll make a quick, perfect 180-degree turn heading straight the other way (without any change in altitude!). It's all timing. My new challenge is to get the circuit lower and maintain a constant altitude.

Then of course, there's tweaking your setup-throws/rates, expo, trim, etc. This doesn't even include fiddling with motor/battery/prop combinations!

I guess one thing I like about all this is the challenge and quest for perfection. Of course, there's just the plain speed thing too! But what I also like is all this fun you get out of such as small package-no lugging big wings and fuselages in and out of the car and the house! All you need is your plane, a few tools, your Tx and batteries. And if I destroy my Rifle it's not like crashing one of my larger models that cost so much more money and time.

So what attracts you guys to these small speed planes? Are there any competitions or gatherings for this class? The closest thing I know of is, what, F5B/F5D?

I'd be interested to learn your thoughts.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:16 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Here's something for all you 'pylon' or speed 400 (or whatever you call these things) experts:

I don't really catch any 'bugs' or get hooked on anything-I usually go in moderation. And in R/C I've dabbled in many things (as probably most of you have) including boats, helicopters, sail planes, cars, R/C scale and some IMAC. Outside of R/C and my job I mostly enjoy spending time at home, riding my motorcycle and I also play in an ice hockey league. But I must say that since I've been flying my own Rifle after work it has a little bit consumed me. I found a perfect place to fly in the evening where the sun is mostly at my back. And often, before work I get in a few flights at our local R/C field in the morning. Even though the Rifle (and other planes like it) is not necessarily aerobatic, there's still plenty to learn and plenty to demand your attention. First, there was learning to fly full-throttle the entire flight. Actually, that wasn't so difficult, but it was a bit of a leap. Now, I'm trying to perfect my pylon turns and overall smoothness. First, you have to get the wing vertical, then pull. If your rates are set correctly you'll have confidence to pull the stick all the way back. Then, you have to let go and level the wing just at the right moment. If you time it right you'll make a quick, perfect 180-degree turn heading straight the other way (without any change in altitude!). It's all timing. My new challenge is to get the circuit lower and maintain a constant altitude.

Then of course, there's tweaking your setup-throws/rates, expo, trim, etc. This doesn't even include fiddling with motor/battery/prop combinations!

I guess one thing I like about all this is the challenge and quest for perfection. Of course, there's just the plain speed thing too! But what I also like is all this fun you get out of such as small package-no lugging big wings and fuselages in and out of the car and the house! All you need is your plane, a few tools, your Tx and batteries. And if I destroy my Rifle it's not like crashing one of my larger models that cost so much more money and time.

So what attracts you guys to these small speed planes? Are there any competitions or gatherings for this class? The closest thing I know of is, what, F5B/F5D?

I'd be interested to learn your thoughts.

Tim
You said it. Wait until you get to 600 watts in a slippery airframe. I'm working my way to 800 watts in one of mine. The hurdle is how to keep your ESC alive during the 3 minutes of butt clenching fun.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jul 24, 2010, 01:54 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,405 Posts
Addictive isnt it KRproton

F5D would be the closest thing, I dont think anyone actually races speed 400 (AKA F5D-400) using brushed 400 motors anymore.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:54 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Addictive isnt it KRproton

F5D would be the closest thing, I dont think anyone actually races speed 400 (AKA F5D-400) using brushed 400 motors anymore.
Wel jackosmeister, like I said, I don't really get 'hooked' on anything, but let me put it this way, it's 6:30am, I'm checking my posts on this forum and I have batteries charging right now. Should be in the air pretty soon!

I'm trying to get so profecient and comfortable with my Rifle that it becomes second nature and is my every-day flyer. It doesn't 'mix' so well with the other planes and pilots typically at our R/C field, so I have to exercise a little more care and courtesy.

I did just step up to 300 - 330W (from about 280W) and that's probably the max for this airframe. With that kind of step up it's a bit of a different aniimal and have to get re acclimated with it.

Yes, someday I'll have to work my way up to 600W in the right air frame.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:11 AM
One Hand Flyer
Joined Apr 2007
27 Posts
Nice review, I have a Sunracer V2 from Esprit models and just got the Rifle hoping it is not as much of a knee knocker as the Sunracer, good speed at a lower price, for me makes it more relaxing to fly, (maybe relaxing is not the correct word) I just won't be as worried about dumping it. I am trying the NEU 1105Y 3.5 w/ 4.75 X 4.75 prop and a 1300 battery. Got my fingers crossed!
flying thud is offline Find More Posts by flying thud
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:09 PM
Joined Jul 2004
160 Posts
Nice
Razmo is offline Find More Posts by Razmo
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:24 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,429 Posts
I saw a demo of this plane flying Saturday. All I can say is wow! Crazy fast + very small = darn hard to see. You better have good eyes, a good spotter and plenty of room.
Did I mention wow!

Matt M
Pickle72 is online now Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Sep 19, 2010, 01:58 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,378 Posts
I am pondering building an UM version of the rifle and just have some general questions:

what kind of wing does the rifle have? is it flat, symmetrical. Looks like no dihedral but is there any under camber?

also how wide is the wing at tip and base near fuse?

thanks

R
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29