HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2010, 11:52 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,630 Posts
Build Log
Another D-Rock Hurricane....

Yes, I know - I only build stuff with 4 wings. AND I have plenty of projects on the go already (although not as many as Geoffinpdx!). But when I saw this Hurricane of D-Rocks, it immediately appealed to me - simple, light-weight and a Hurricane - an aircraft I'd always wanted to build. I have the Boddo plan and a couple of others but Derek's version is a straightforward balsa-and-ply job, with all fabric covering. Nice and simple - even has the essential retracts.

The designer has suggested that some areas could be sheeted - esp. forward of the cockpit and maybe the wing LE. The MkI model is seldom modelled (I think 'Work-in-Progress' did one a while back) and it started off with fabric-covered wings and tail surfaces. It also had a fixed pitch Watts prop so that would make me feel better about it

Here are the kit bits from Manzano - 16 sheets of wood, two plans and a couple of canopy mouldings - one plain and one with frames moulded in. I'll do a couple of preliminary bits while thinking about retracts/flaps/sheeting etc.....

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Sep 20, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2010, 01:22 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,180 Posts
A change is good for you, Pat - and the Hurricane is a an excellent (and always under-modelled, in my opinion) choice.

You're only building this because you like making those big spinners, aren't you?

Look forward to the build.

Steve (still being seduced by micro-helis - got 10 now)
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old May 12, 2010, 01:33 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
Pat,

While you are in the initial planning phase, here's the thing about retractable undercarriages and Hurricanes. You need to decide early where you want your compromise.

Through exceedingly clever geometry and links that 'break' like knuckles, the full size Hurricane effectively shortens its undercarriage legs significantly as part of the retraction cycle. The practical upshot is that any simple low-tech retracts solution is going to leave the aeroplane looking short-legged on the ground, with the nose not pointing high enough. Because the retracts move inwards and almost meet on the centreline, extending the legs is not an option unless you change some other aspect of the aeroplane.

The options are:
1. living with it - it may not bother you (most people are in this category, and it probably makes ground handling slightly easier, and with a typical RC model smaller than scale prop you don't need the clearance anyway)
2. an extremely complex retract mechanism, probably reflecting the full size design.
3. cheating by extending the span of the flat wing centre-section, and lengthening the legs similarly.
4. keeping the wing planform scale but cheating by shifting the retract hinge point slightly outboard of the dihedral break. This is my plan, if and when I get round to a 60" span Hurri.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old May 12, 2010, 01:48 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,630 Posts
WIP - thanks for that mate - I hadn't looked that closely. Derek's design includes all the mounting woodwork for standard mechanical retracts so I'll measure up the result and see where he compromised. This is a sport/fun scale design so it may well have a non-scale look somewhere

Steve - '...a change is as good as a rest......' (unless P.R. starts asking awkward questions about his F2b.....). The spinner is only 3" diameter so maybe a standard one will suffice?

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old May 12, 2010, 07:25 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,630 Posts
A Small Start....

Derek (D-Rock) has produced a simplified set of instructions available on the Manzano web site. While not comprehensive, the guide is certainly enough to keep the builder heading in the right direction.

First items to be built are the horizontal stabiliser and elevator. Completely straight-forward from 1/8 laser cut parts and 1/8 X 1/4 and 1/8 sq.strip. A few lengths of 1/8 sq. Bass are called for along the hinge-line spars but I used spruce as Bass is not available in Oz.

After construction, both sides were sanded to an airfoil section - note the simplified hinge line. Just a few hours work so far

Next is the fuselage keel and fin/rudder.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; May 12, 2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old May 12, 2010, 08:14 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,516 Posts
Pat,

You beat me too it! Will be glad to follow you, although mine won't be quite as nice as yours will

I probably won't start until we get back from SMALL in June.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 12, 2010, 08:31 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,869 Posts
Hi Pat, great start so far. I will be following for sure. It's funny you mentioned the lack of gear doors, my dad has been on my case about that from the get go- I've just been too busy to take the time to adds some. Keep up the good work.

D-Rock
D-Rock is offline Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old May 12, 2010, 10:34 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,212 Posts
D-Rock, I think you just got a huge compliment. Pat Lynch is building YOUR Hurricane. Does it get any better than that? Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old May 12, 2010, 10:48 AM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
This one ought to move a bit faster than most of yours do!

Whats the W/S on this one and what you gonna power it with?
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old May 12, 2010, 10:57 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,869 Posts
Jeff, I couldn't agree more however it makes it all the more nerve-racking that I didn't overlook something . Dan, the wingspan is 60".

D-Rock
Old May 12, 2010, 11:13 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,516 Posts
D, don't worry about missing something. Pat builds Peter's stuff
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 12, 2010, 04:24 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,630 Posts
Derek, Charlie, Dan - thanks for dropping in Derek - I'm no expert on 'warbirds' - I built a 60" Lysander that took the brunt of my flying training and a Henschel HS-129 that elevated my flying incompetence to new heights! (and speeds). I always loved the Hurricane and so just hope I can do it justice.

Yes Dan - 60" span - the real thing is about 40' so the model is 1/8. Power? I have an E-Flite power 25 left over from my deceased SE5a - it may be a bit strong but I'll build for it. My intention is to sheet a small part of the wing LE, plus infill the forward stringers with soft 3/32 balsa to the scale metal outline. The jury is still out WRT flaps - if I can see an easy method, I may do it just for fun.

I also have some Spring-air retracts which MAY fit with some jiggling. Great thing here is that it isn't a prototype build so I can do 'my own thing' - the only person offended will probably be D-Rock

Just found I've run out of 1/8 sheet and sq strip so must go into town today. Phooey - I hate cities!

Cheers

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; May 12, 2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 08:09 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Just copy the set up Brian Taylor used on his 70" Hurri for the flaps. I'm shrinking the whole thing down to 48", and am shooting for the flaps on it.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old May 12, 2010, 09:17 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,984 Posts
Pat, Pa has a bunch of reference mat'l for the Hurricane, as he helped restore one many years back. In one of the books, is the attached diagram of the retract mech.

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old May 12, 2010, 10:33 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,869 Posts
Pat, looking forward to seeing your retract choice . I even thought of using those new (to me at least) electric retracts. They would be helpful in simplifying the arrangement. I have attached a PDF of a quick idea I had on modification of the wing for flaps. The flap outline would be up to the builder.

D-Rock