SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2010, 06:00 PM
Joined Oct 2006
66 Posts
Help!
NitroPlanes A-10 Thunderbolt Brushless LiPo Battery / EDF Problem

I got my RTF A-10 put together and put the battery in and tested it. when I give it a little thrust the right fan starts to spin with a lot of force but I have to push the throtle all the way forward before the left EDF start to spin but it only spins with half force. nothing I do can get it to run at same power as the right side. I have tried adjusting the slider on the controler but nothing works.

Anyone run into this problem before?
ISNJH is offline Find More Posts by ISNJH
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2010, 06:03 PM
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Yes, mine turned out to have dodgy solder on oone of the left connector that goes to the esc. Give them a strong pull to make sure they are all ok.
Lynx.1677 is offline Find More Posts by Lynx.1677
Old May 11, 2010, 06:09 PM
Joined Oct 2006
66 Posts
I already glued the fans to the body if I pull the wire and it comes off how will I reattach it without damaging the body.
Old May 11, 2010, 06:32 PM
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNJH View Post
I already glued the fans to the body if I pull the wire and it comes off how will I reattach it without damaging the body.
You should be able to gently pull the fan units off without too much damage and then check each connector.
Old May 11, 2010, 07:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
66 Posts
Not to sure about that I used a good amount of glue on them :P
Old May 11, 2010, 08:04 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Apr 2009
213 Posts
Re-set the speed controls to match the radio. I had problems with mine, and calibrated the speed cntrols to the radio and it works great. Turn radio and plane off, then turn the radio on with throttle lever at high setting. Now plug in the battery while holding the plane (just in case!). The speed controls will make a little music, and then quit beeping to tell you they are set. Turn everything back off, zero the throttle lever, re-fire and I'll bet they will work together................................
fotowiz is offline Find More Posts by fotowiz
Old May 11, 2010, 08:16 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
Yep, sounds like the ESC might need to be setup like fotowiz said.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old May 11, 2010, 08:47 PM
Joined Oct 2006
66 Posts
yeah that was the problem. now when I turn it on the one motor starts first and give it a little more thrust and they both get going to same RPM then more and they both operate at max full total power. just one question, when flying it I should not fly it at 100% power? since it seems to put out so much thrust I worry I will burn the motors out flying it at full thrust. also how well does the A-10 fly at just gliding it on low power.
Old May 12, 2010, 05:51 AM
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Don't want to put you off but..........not sure if I had the same model as you but mine would not fly at all. I handlaunched at full throttle and it just fell to the floor and snapped in half. The foam was really brittle on mine and would snap with the slightest bit of pressure. Maybe a runway takeoff would be better for this model. It was my first plane and it never flew, I was gutted. Still got all the electronics but the airframe has seen better days.

Let us know how it goes.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:30 AM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Quote:
It was my first plane
Not a good choice for first plane, it might had self-destruct trying to avoid the mandatory newbie-left-wing-stall-and-crash-boom-bang ...

They fly, but you need a runway for the first flight to get used to them..
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old May 12, 2010, 10:46 AM
Joined Oct 2006
66 Posts
how long of runway is recommended?
Old May 12, 2010, 02:43 PM
Joined May 2010
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoyenny View Post
Not a good choice for first plane, it might had self-destruct trying to avoid the mandatory newbie-left-wing-stall-and-crash-boom-bang ...

They fly, but you need a runway for the first flight to get used to them..
Hmm, funny thing is the it didn't tip stall at all. Just glided quickly to the ground then broke. My parkzone trojan is 100 times better and have only ever handlaunched it, goes straight up and flies amazingly well. Doing all sorts with it now. A10 is certainly not going to work with a handlaunch (at least mine wouldn't), not sure how much runway you need but Nightflyer looked like he got his up quick.
Old May 12, 2010, 03:53 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Quote:
how long of runway is recommended?
~200 ft? I dunno...
Most small planes will take off in 50 ft or less, my local runway is so horrible that you have only about 10 ft of usable ground before the gopher mountains threaten o destroy your landing gear (and plane, sometimes) ...
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Last edited by nicoyenny; May 13, 2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old May 12, 2010, 08:56 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
Takeoff length will depend a lot on what surface you intend to use. Grass would need to be the longest, dirt somewhere in the middle and a nice paved surface would take the least distance to get to "flying" speed.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER