HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2010, 02:27 PM
Tampa/St.pete FL
Joined May 2010
4 Posts
Discussion
Thinking about giving this hobby another try. Not sure.

Many years ago when I was 14 my mom bought me a trainer with all the accessories to fly it. Well besides the fact that it was balsa wood kit that it needed to be put together. That is where things started go wrong but I am sure putting together a balsa wood kit with no help from anyone is a bit much for any 14 year old. So after trying forever to put the thing together and at every step finding I need some special tool I gave up. We found a hobby shop where someone put it together for a small fee. Pretty sure they screwed us though because they said the brand new in the box radio wouldn't work or something so they sold us another and now I have two radios.

After I got the plane I learned I pretty much had no where to fly it. I had to join a club 30 miles out in the middle of no where. The club hours were a complete joke for anyone that worked or went to school. They had meetings once or twice a month on a wed at 7:30am.. Well I joined right at the end of the summer 1 week befoer school started. I payed club fees and the AMA only to go to one meeting and never touch the plane again.

Oh not to mention no one really wanted to help me learn to fly. First speech I got was that getting help was an honor and not to expect anyone to devote too much time to helping you. So after getting up at 6:15am and driving out there they spent 15-20 min helping me. Very very small flight time...And after being there for 30 min they were like.. Thats it meeting is over with.

Of course due to the experince and due to having to get up really early drive far and the fact that I had school at 8am I paid out all that money never to touch the plane again.

Well I am older now and in another city that has two clubs so I figure I could give it another try. I hate to be rude but I do need help getting the plane running again. The engine is gummed up and I know if I soak it in fuel it will get it running again however, I ghetto rigged the throttle and it needs a propper fix. Just don't know how to get back into it. I don't want to pay 80 bucks club dues plus AMA then get there and be told no one wants to help you because its time consuming and too many members come to the club for 3 months a quit..
Tiako is offline Find More Posts by Tiako
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2010, 03:12 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,115 Posts
Welcome to the forum

You'll find plenty of practical help on this forum, but a good club is priceless. Unfortunately, clubs vary in their attitude to newcomers and different types of flyers. If you get your AMA membership, I believe some clubs will give you a trial period before you have to join. They certainly won't charge you if you just go along to meet members and watch them flying -- so why don't you just make a couple of visits and see which one gives you the best feeling, before spending money on their dues?

Technology has moved on a lot in the past few years -- 2.4GHz radios and more-practical electric planes, for instance. If your radio is several years old, you're at least going to have to replace its batteries. But aerodynamics hasn't changed, so at least your plane should fly the same as it used to, so long as you check it for damage, unglued joints, loose covering, etc.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 11, 2010, 03:19 PM
Tampa/St.pete FL
Joined May 2010
4 Posts
My radio is 12 years old so its not 2.4 I will check the batteries but I don't want to spend more money on a new radio when the one I have works fine.

I see you are in the UK so I don't know if it is the same in the US but is the bad newcomers attuide the same across the board as I have heard people say RC clubs are pretty bad about new people.

I have quite a few hobbies such as making beer, shooting and jetski plus an animation club. All of those clubs we are great with new commers and love helping them I don't know why RC clubs act like new people are a waste of time. And they wonder why people are switching to park flyers and saying clubs + AMA.
Old May 11, 2010, 03:35 PM
Average User
Bakersfield, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,726 Posts
Add your location into your profile. Chances are pretty good that some RCGroup members are close to you and are also members of a local club.
M Ashmore is offline Find More Posts by M Ashmore
Old May 11, 2010, 03:47 PM
Tampa/St.pete FL
Joined May 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phat23 View Post
Add your location into your profile. Chances are pretty good that some RCGroup members are close to you and are also members of a local club.
Looks like Sparks and Trac club are here in Tampa.
Last edited by Tiako; May 11, 2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old May 11, 2010, 06:10 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
952 Posts
Remember: your attitude will also make a difference. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old May 11, 2010, 07:37 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
I had to teach myself - not due to bad attitudes but due to the fact that there was no AMA club anywhere near - actually there is a group of guys that fly (still 30 miles away) but I didn't know that then as their club is not ama and thus it could not be located on the ama site - I found it through happenstance last summer. If you were here, I'd teach you - so would the guys at my club.

As to the gummed up engine. When I was getting my plane together, my throttle was completely gummed up after sitting for ten years. I took the carb off and much to my wife's chagrin, I put it in some lightly boiling water on the stove with a drop of dish soap. That freed it up in short order and the engine ran fine thereafter. Soaking in fuel will work too.

I got tons of help and encouragement from this very forum. I don't know how successful that I would have been without it.

It seems you're ever so slightly bitter about your past experience and that is completely understandable given what you had to deal with. I hope your new experiences in the hobby will be better. It's very enjoyable and has a huge "that's neat" factor.

Good luck.

Rodney
rodneygt is offline Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old May 11, 2010, 11:41 PM
Joined Nov 2006
687 Posts
I understand that you had a rough time on the first go around, but you'll need to keep an open mind when entering this hobby agian. You have one very big thing going for you: Florida! There's not a better place to fly, except SoCal maybe.

Please keep your mind open to the advice you see here. It may seem condencending at times, but we are all here to help you succeed.
ndb8fxe is offline Find More Posts by ndb8fxe
Old May 12, 2010, 12:21 AM
Dana, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiako View Post
My radio is 12 years old so its not 2.4 I will check the batteries but I don't want to spend more money on a new radio when the one I have works fine.
Welcome back to the hobby!

The radios you have are probably ok, provided the batteries were removed before being put away. When the batteries go bad the corrosion has a tendancy to travel through the wiring and will even get past the connectors and travel deep into the radio system without any outward signs of damage. If the batteries were left in I would strongly suggest sending the radios in for a good going over by a qualified technician!

The St.Pete/Tampa area is a great place to fly! I have had family that has lived in the area since the late 60's. 40 years ago I spent two wonderful weeks there with my sister and her husband, who happened to be the local RC club president at the time. I don't remember the name the club had then, but it was the best experience learning to fly RC a kid could ever have had! Every evening after he got off work, my brother-in-law would take me to the field and I got lots of help from the members and learned a great deal from all their help. I'll never forget one of the senior members (Denny) and his Andrews Aeromaster bipe! I didn't get to fly the Aeromaster, but he did let me have some stick time on his Sr. Falcon before my visit was over!

Good luck and happy flying!
Whitewolf
whitewolf is offline Find More Posts by whitewolf
Old May 12, 2010, 12:42 AM
Tampa/St.pete FL
Joined May 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneygt View Post
I had to teach myself - not due to bad attitudes but due to the fact that there was no AMA club anywhere near - actually there is a group of guys that fly (still 30 miles away) but I didn't know that then as their club is not ama and thus it could not be located on the ama site - I found it through happenstance last summer. If you were here, I'd teach you - so would the guys at my club.

As to the gummed up engine. When I was getting my plane together, my throttle was completely gummed up after sitting for ten years. I took the carb off and much to my wife's chagrin, I put it in some lightly boiling water on the stove with a drop of dish soap. That freed it up in short order and the engine ran fine thereafter. Soaking in fuel will work too.

I got tons of help and encouragement from this very forum. I don't know how successful that I would have been without it.

It seems you're ever so slightly bitter about your past experience and that is completely understandable given what you had to deal with. I hope your new experiences in the hobby will be better. It's very enjoyable and has a huge "that's neat" factor.

Good luck.

Rodney
That sounds great.. Honestly I would love to teach myself but it seems I don't have the choice because I don't have a huge field to take my plane to without joining a club.. Maybe I should switch to electric?
Old May 12, 2010, 02:00 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiako View Post
... I see you are in the UK so I don't know if it is the same in the US but is the bad newcomers attuide the same across the board as I have heard people say RC clubs are pretty bad about new people. ...
I'm sure it's the same throughout the world -- there's clubs that are newbie-friendly and clubs that are very cliquey

A couple of clubs round my way, for instance, have a reputation for having good fields but being over-keen on rules and regulations. The club I fly with doesn't have such a great flying facility, but they make up for it by having few rules (all related to safety) and being friendly and helpful to newcomers.

As for your radio, I agree there's no need to buy a new one. In fact, if any of your gear has suffered from corrosion (as mentioned by whitewolf), you'll be able to pick up replacements cheaply these days because of all the people who are selling up 72MHz equipment to go to 2.4GHz After 12 years, new batteries are a must.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 12, 2010, 04:45 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,930 Posts
I was into model airplanes as a kid. I tried the RC hobby at middle age but didn't stick with it and never really learned to fly. One reason was that I couldn't keep the nitro engines running long enough. Plus I had lots of other hobbies. I tried again as a "senior citizen" and taught myself to fly with a Slow Stick and Hobby Lobby Yak and a host of other planes. I kept getting planes stuck in trees so I joined a club to have access to a larger field. The club has been great. The guys taught me a lot about flying and a lot of engines. They are incredibly willing to help with everything from instruction to set up of planes and engines and many have been doing this a long time and have a lot to offer. I've pretty much gone over to 3D nitro profiles now .... kid planes flown by an old dude huh. I've never really hung out with "other guys" before, but I totally look forward to flying and shooting the ..... with them on our fly day. A lot of the them our into helis and they are helping me get into that side of the hobby. Don't give up. Find a club that welcomes you and the support and help you recieve will be amazing.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old May 13, 2010, 05:44 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
I would stop by the local clubs before you do ANYTHING. Just stop by on a nice weekend day and talk to the people. You may have to hit the field a couple of time. Or contact the club via their website and see when a good time to visit would be.

See how the club members are. Nice, not nice, helpful, not helpful, friendly, not friendly, etc. You may find one of the two is a very nice club. If not, you will either have to go it on your own (not easy, but doable), or pick another hobby. Or maybe range a little further to check out some other clubs.

As for your airplane and radio, I would plan on replacing the batteries in the transmitter and the airplane. It would be a shame to go through all the trouble and then lose the airplane due to a bad battery pack.

For the engine, use a hair dryer to gently warm it up and it should move. Drip some fuel into the carb and start flipping. That should free up the engine.

Good luck. If you we local, I would invite you to our club. Very firendly, helpful people. So clubs like that DO exist.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old May 20, 2010, 07:17 PM
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
Welcome back Tiako. Your comment about clubs not being friendly to new fliers really bothers me. We need new blood (figuratively of course!) in this great hobby. I'm lucky to live near a club with over 300 active members. We have dedicated Thursday afternoon to dusk as training night. Just bring interest and the club will provide an instructor, a trainer airplane and an active peanut gallery. Our goal is for you to develop the skills to solo and then provide as much harassment as possible. I showed up one night 'cause I had nothing else to do after seeing an invitation flier at a local hobby store. I walked up to a group of people, I recognized one from the race track (road course track activities) who was holding a radio and a plane. He looked at me and said "I'm gonna teach you to fly tonight!". 9 flights and I soloed. 10 planes (8 were kits) later.

Also, try to find a local hobby store (LHS) where you can go in and have a comfortable conversation with knowledgeable staff. They benefit when you spend money. You benefit from their years of experience.

Good luck!
SeamusG is offline Find More Posts by SeamusG