HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2003, 05:02 PM
Joined Jun 2003
179 Posts
Looking to get back into RC..need plans

After a long absence I am looking to get back in to RC. I would like to try a speed 400 model. Something simple to build and fly.

I would prefer to build it myself from plans, all balsa, 3 channel and with ailerons.

I came across this model the ELECT J that I liked but it is without balsa thicknesses:

http://plans.rcmodell.hu/planelect.html

Any other plans or balsa suggestions please.

Thanks
asennad is offline Find More Posts by asennad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2003, 10:37 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Blowing my own trumpet here, but look up Radio Control Modeler magazine's plans listings. I've got a design in there called "Squert" which is just what you're after.

Designed when I lived in England and all we could buy were 7.2V motors and 600 AA sized nicads, "Squert" was possibly the first aerobatic S400 model flown there. It really is basic, a box section fuselage, shoulder wing mounted with glue, which is good for hand launches, and a bottom hatch to make changing packs easy. With 8 modern cells and a 6V S400, it should go pretty quick.

Structure is very light, easy to build - if you like woodwork. The plan was published in 1994, but they still crop up. Two showed up at our club's electric funfly last year.

regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 10, 2003, 02:28 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Heck, you don't really NEED a plan.

Build a traditional balsa wing of about 36-40" span and give it 8 degrees dihedral.

Make up a balsa box fuselage and some built up tail feathers, trim it all up zero zero (tailplane to wing flat bottom)

Get a 6v 2.33:1 geared 400, a 7 or 8 cell pack and 12A ESC, 8x6 or 9x6 APC 'E' prop, put HS55 servos on elevator and rudder, and fly...CG around 30% chord.

As long as the weight is under 22oz, it will fly. Under 20oz it will fly well, at 18oz it will rock :-)

When you get bored with that, make a new wing with only a couple of degrees dihedral and strip ailerons, and another servo...and have fun rolling it as well.

Seriously, thats all you have to do.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jun 10, 2003, 04:09 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vintage1

When you get bored with that, make a new wing with only a couple of degrees dihedral and strip ailerons, and another servo...and have fun rolling it as well.

And when you get bored with that, build another new wing with NO dihedral, a semi-symetrical section and a Mega 1615/5 up front, so you can practice vertical rolls and low inverted passes.

Call it a Minibat if you like......(flies well on a direct drive S400 too).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=minibat

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Jun 10, 2003, 04:36 PM
Joined Jun 2003
179 Posts
Thanks all for the advice. I found plans for the SQUERT on the net and will use it as a guide for my own design.

That Minibat is exactly what I want to be flying when I have a little more experience.
asennad is offline Find More Posts by asennad
Old Jun 11, 2003, 08:47 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,296 Posts
Asennad, Welcome to the Ezone!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG