HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2010, 10:41 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,093 Posts
Discussion
Airtronics SD-10G model exchange thread

I just had a user PM me and ask for a model I don't own or have setup in my radio for exchange. He suggested starting a thread so in the spirit of the "R/C-Interweb" here we go.

If you own an Airtronics SD-10G and would like to trade or offer your model setup then post a comment.

There is already a moderated SD-10G discussion so if you have technical questions or product comments then place it in THAT thread.

Have said that the forst request is for a Kennedy composites Sprite -

if you have it post it.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2010, 10:46 AM
Joined Jul 2007
3,093 Posts
Xplorer 3.5 Xplorer 3.8 and Shadow

all my models are setup witht he following features

Flap to elevator compensation using the 9 point curve - models listed are super smooth in the landing zone in all throws on the flap stick.

Aileron to Flap mixing 20%

Xplorers are setup with Aileron expo

Launch mode cruise and reflex on the three pos switch for easy pinging.

I really dont think my setup is too special I just want to start the thread.

There are a dozen guys who I would really like to see post thier setups but I don't want to mention names in the event they feel thier model setup is top secret.

Anyways let the trading begin.
Old May 12, 2010, 01:03 AM
Texas
Joined Oct 2006
144 Posts
SD-10G Program for Pike Perfect and Satori

If you have the 10G USB link, I can send the program for a Pike Perfect or Satori by E-Mail.

Then simply transfer it to your 10G using the USB link.

PM me with your E-Mail address if you need either of them.

I need the program for a Kennedy Composites "Sprite" by the same E-Mail method. My E-Mail is bcomo@satx.rr.com

Bart
bcomo is offline Find More Posts by bcomo
Old May 12, 2010, 07:05 AM
Joined Oct 2008
141 Posts
[QUOTE=webbsolution;15062246]all my models are setup witht he following features

Flap to elevator compensation using the 9 point curve - models listed are super smooth in the landing zone in all throws on the flap stick.

I'm a little surprised by this statement.

It may be super smooth at all throws, but I bet its only at one specific speed. If you are able to always approach at very close to the same speed every time in the heat of competition then I salute you Sir ! The approach speed determines to a large degree how much elevator compensation is required when using crow more than anything else IMO. Having spent a lot of time experimenting with this on my own comp models, including Xplorers and Shadows, it is a conclusion that, to me is unavoidable.
ThermalBoy is offline Find More Posts by ThermalBoy
Old May 12, 2010, 10:24 AM
Joined Jul 2007
3,093 Posts
lets keep this thread about trading profiles and stick the disucussions about actual settings in the main Xplorer thread.

OR PM me I would be glad to discuss in detail my friend.
Last edited by webbsolution; May 12, 2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:29 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,774 Posts
I have several variations of programming for DLGs.

My ships have launch on the 3 position spring switch on the top left of the transmitter, and a 3 position (top left rear) controlling thermal, cruise, and speed modes. Trims and mixes are all separate.

Launch mode overrides all other flight modes so there's no throwing with flaps down, etc.

Ping me if interested.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old May 12, 2010, 10:38 AM
Joined Jul 2007
3,093 Posts
data cables

If anyone needs a data cable to facilitate transfers Ic an sellyou one at my dealer cost + shipping. It will not save you a lot but it helps.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:45 AM
Texas
Joined Oct 2006
144 Posts
Sent PM to you.

Bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
I have several variations of programming for DLGs.

My ships have launch on the 3 position spring switch on the top left of the transmitter, and a 3 position (top left rear) controlling thermal, cruise, and speed modes. Trims and mixes are all separate.

Launch mode overrides all other flight modes so there's no throwing with flaps down, etc.

Ping me if interested.
Old May 12, 2010, 02:53 PM
Texas
Joined Oct 2006
144 Posts
For those interested in a data cable:

I just wanted to add that the data cable comes with the software to transfer from and to the PC from the 10G.

That means that you can store an unlimited number of programs on your PC, or a flash memory stick -- instead of buying a 20 model memory card.

The data cable is also needed to update the internal 10G software if an update comes out in the future.

Bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
If anyone needs a data cable to facilitate transfers Ic an sellyou one at my dealer cost + shipping. It will not save you a lot but it helps.
Old May 12, 2010, 03:26 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcomo View Post
For those interested in a data cable:

I just wanted to add that the data cable comes with the software to transfer from and to the PC from the 10G.

That means that you can store an unlimited number of programs on your PC, or a flash memory stick -- instead of buying a 20 model memory card.

The data cable is also needed to update the internal 10G software if an update comes out in the future.

Bart
Which means that if you forget your radio and you have emailed your models to yourself (the files are very small) all you need is the cable to download your mdoels to another radio...

Of course the same works if you have just the card but you can't share your wisdom with the card as easily
Old May 12, 2010, 03:34 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
I dislike sharing programs, because it is a bit like giving a man a fish rather than teaching him.

The only time I think it is good to share a model, is if you sell/loan someone the physical plane. Even if you have identical planes, the builds are not identical so the values in the transmitter program mean nothing.

I have sold many SD-10Gs to pilots that are my friends. Rather than sharing my program, I much prefer walking them through setting up a plane. that way they learn all the ins and outs of their setup. They are aware of what switch does what, and where to change values for their mixes/throws. They also get to choose how they want their plane setup.

Anyway, the only important setup feature I tell people to do involves DLGs. I recommend changing the stock modes heir-achy so that the launch mode (up preset) always overrides the landing mode. Stock out of the box, the landing mode is setup to be activated via stick switch on the flap stick. This overrides everything. It makes it too easy to throw the plane with the flaps partially deployed. I throw my plane flat, and this can mean that I throw the plane into an object, rather than over it. By creating your launch mode (up preset) as flight mode 4, and your landing mode as flight mode 3 you will avoid this safety issue.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old May 12, 2010, 04:03 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
I dislike sharing programs, because it is a bit like giving a man a fish rather than teaching him.

The only time I think it is good to share a model, is if you sell/loan someone the physical plane. Even if you have identical planes, the builds are not identical so the values in the transmitter program mean nothing.

I have sold many SD-10Gs to pilots that are my friends. Rather than sharing my program, I much prefer walking them through setting up a plane. that way they learn all the ins and outs of their setup. They are aware of what switch does what, and where to change values for their mixes/throws. They also get to choose how they want their plane setup.

Anyway, the only important setup feature I tell people to do involves DLGs. I recommend changing the stock modes heir-achy so that the launch mode (up preset) always overrides the landing mode. Stock out of the box, the landing mode is setup to be activated via stick switch on the flap stick. This overrides everything. It makes it too easy to throw the plane with the flaps partially deployed. I throw my plane flat, and this can mean that I throw the plane into an object, rather than over it. By creating your launch mode (up preset) as flight mode 4, and your landing mode as flight mode 3 you will avoid this safety issue.
Thats is too bad for us because I think you have much to offer.
Old May 12, 2010, 04:18 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
I think it means that I share more, because I am open to discuss it at length, rather than just post a program.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old May 12, 2010, 05:10 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,917 Posts
I am also with David on this one. The tranny programming thing is extremely personal.
More importantly though is each individuals philosophy on model set up. There are as many different setups as there are pilots. The reason for this in my opinion is that we all have our own ideas of what it takes to fly a glider. By that I mean, that if one is predisposed to believe that one can only fly a model efficiently if it is flown without aileron to rudder mixing, then by golly, that guy is going to learn to do it that way, and poo poo any idea that might suggest it is easier if you use the radio to mix them, and adjust rudder input as needed.... Only one of many similar points. I would be happy to share any of my programs, but without it being flown on my gliders with my philosophy behind the program, it really doesn't mean anything.

My experience with this is actually pretty vast. I have handed my gliders to very experienced guys, and they have either said "yeah, thats about the way I like it" or "wow, that glider feels really well balanced" (regarding controls not CG). On other occasions, I have had less seasoned pilots ask me to fly their gliders, and set them up for them. More often than not, their setups were very nose heavy, and they had the glider trimmed to fly too slowly (there is that preconception thing) shooting for a good minimum sink airspeed. Their complaint to me was that they just could not get the glider to move, or to penetrate like they see others. So, I pull some weight out, and trim it so that it is at least close to my style, and hand it over only to be told "dang! This thing is flying way too fast" or, "whoa, somethings wrong here, what did you do?". But even after the explanation, they end up putting it right back to the way they like it.

Radio flexibility is super great. It allows us to implement any of our cool, good, or just plain stupid ideas, and have them at our finger tips any time we want to hit that "float" switch or the "penetrate toggle", or the "please stay up for 4 more minutes" 3 pos. switch.

All that said...I will share.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old May 12, 2010, 05:20 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
I am also with David on this one. The tranny programming thing is extremely personal.
More importantly though is each individuals philosophy on model set up. There are as many different setups as there are pilots. The reason for this in my opinion is that we all have our own ideas of what it takes to fly a glider. By that I mean, that if one is predisposed to believe that one can only fly a model efficiently if it is flown without aileron to rudder mixing, then by golly, that guy is going to learn to do it that way, and poo poo any idea that might suggest it is easier if you use the radio to mix them, and adjust rudder input as needed.... Only one of many similar points. I would be happy to share any of my programs, but without it being flown on my gliders with my philosophy behind the program, it really doesn't mean anything.

My experience with this is actually pretty vast. I have handed my gliders to very experienced guys, and they have either said "yeah, thats about the way I like it" or "wow, that glider feels really well balanced" (regarding controls not CG). On other occasions, I have had less seasoned pilots ask me to fly their gliders, and set them up for them. More often than not, their setups were very nose heavy, and they had the glider trimmed to fly too slowly (there is that preconception thing) shooting for a good minimum sink airspeed. Their complaint to me was that they just could not get the glider to move, or to penetrate like they see others. So, I pull some weight out, and trim it so that it is at least close to my style, and hand it over only to be told "dang! This thing is flying way too fast" or, "whoa, somethings wrong here, what did you do?". But even after the explanation, they end up putting it right back to the way they like it.

Radio flexibility is super great. It allows us to implement any of our cool, good, or just plain stupid ideas, and have them at our finger tips any time we want to hit that "float" switch or the "penetrate toggle", or the "please stay up for 4 more minutes" 3 pos. switch.

All that said...I will share.

Mike
Holy WHAT! you have a 4 more minute toggle - is that firmware? Send THAT program to me BUT ONLY TO ME

Good points by both - I still think sharing your ideas is what makes this forum so powerful and as humans we will always take what we can use and discard what we think we cant...